AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-22-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thank you Bill, this is very helpful.
So everything is subjective when it comes to cables? If I would to try and work with my dealer to experiment with different brands, what should I do first? Speaker cables? Source? Amps?
While deciding which cables you ultimately prefer is a subjective process, it is much easier to choose one or two manufacturer's products to demo and then try a few levels of their cables to determine your sweet spot when it comes to sonic performance and value. Deciding which cables are most significant to you is again a subject of much debate, but as others have suggested power cables can be very significant and should not be overlooked. Some find speaker cable to be more important than interconnects while other find the reverse to be true. Again it can be system dependent as well as what your preferences are. You have to be patient doing cable evaluations, since if you try to make quick decisions you end up frustrated and prone to be led astray.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
GW1800 (Mike) is 100% spot on. Listen to Mike. I flew up to hear his setup last October and got to hear first hand what good power cables/ interconnects and other treatments can do. It changed the way I viewed that part of the process.

Then Mike and a local Milwaukee dealer drove ALL the way down to Monroe, LA to bring some equipment and audio cables. With my existing equipment and replacing the Stock cords produced a DRAMATIC uptick in soundstage, depth, realism and emotion.

It was awesome.

We all have budgets (guidelines) But start with Power cables...will make a nice uptick.
Thank you everyone for the fantastic information. I haven't been using stock cables on any of my devices since day one. I bought Kimber and WW power cables for my amps, preamp and sources. I don;t even know what my system sounds like with stock cables because I never tried them. So I think that when it comes to power cables I am OK for now.

It is the XLRs that I use everywhere that I was wondering if I should re-examine. Totally understand the concept of auditioning new cables at home. Maybe I should start with the amps and source cables and work with my dealer on that.

As for power outlet, we currently rent our house, so no dedicated power circuits, just plug my equipment to the wall (I do use a Monster surge protector).
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 AM

Default Cable sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Hi Cable Aficionados,

I have some basic questions about cables. I am looking to better understand the tonality differences between cables. I am not asking which cables are better, just figure out if there is a market consensus about specific brands and their "sound flavor". For example: are there brands that sound brighter than others? Or that have specific characteristics in general.

I have been using multiple cable brands in my system and trying to decide whether I should move to one brand, or cherry pick cables for each component separately. I currently use Kimber, WW and Audioquest across my system(speakers, interconnects and power). I tend to like "brighter" sound and sometimes feel that my system produces a fuller/heavier sound.

My other questions:

1. Do I need to use the same XLR brand between my Amps and Preamp and then between my DAC and Preamp? Or is it common to mix and match?

2. What would have more audible effect on sound, Amp->Preamp or DAC->Preamp cables?

I don't have the budget to purchase the top of the line cables so I always aim for middle of the pack when I buy (example: WW Eclipse 7 Interconnects, Kimber Base series).

Apologies for the many questions, and thank you in advance!

My system:
Preamp: PS Audio BHK
DAC: PS Audio DS DAC
Phono stage: PS Audio Nuwave
Amps: Mcintosh 601's
Speakers: B&W 802D
Correctly designed wires would all converge on a very similar sound. The reason why most high end wires greatly diverge in sound is that they are high distortion cables, and a high distortion cable really stands out...... can have lots of "apparent" bass or lots of "apparent" highs, or lots of smoothness, or lots of leading edge attack. ..... all the results of distortion. Some mostly sound soft and loose detail that will never be recovered later, and some are very harsh, with lots of enthusiasts claiming they are harsh due to their "accuracy" .
Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 AM
Merry Christmas to all

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

From a 2012 review: "Nowadays, after listening in-house to dozens of cables, after multiple system upgrades and cable reviews, I’m an ardent "loomer." Trying to assess the sonic performance of a single cable by inserting it into an existing system strikes me as being about as cogent as assessing Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires by mounting one on a car otherwise shod with Pirelli Sottozeroes. Sure, something will be different, but not in a usefully describable way to anyone interested in Blizzaks. I am convinced only a full loom of signal cables or power cords, or ideally both from a single manufacturer, offers a reasonable evaluation context."
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
As far as there being a market consensus about specific cable brands, I think you'll find in general there's very little consensus about anything among audiophiles! There are as many unique cable designs as there are opinions about them and their sonic attributes. Some feel that you're best advised using one brand of cable throughout your system since they're most likely to have some synergy, while combining different brands can take more time and effort to achieve a desired balance. You do not have to use the same brand of ICs between your source and preamp as you do between amp and preamp but you may find it easier to do so. There is no substitute for experimentation and it is strongly recommended to find a dealer to work with who can provide guidance for your system and hopefully some loaner cables to demo. When doing cable demos I'd suggest avoiding short listening sessions and quick changes, rather to listen to a given cable for an extended time and then switch back to your original reference. I find it usually obvious at that point to determine which is better.
This is probably the best reply i have yet seen to such a cable question on AA.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trace View Post
Correctly designed wires would all converge on a very similar sound. The reason why most high end wires greatly diverge in sound is that they are high distortion cables, and a high distortion cable really stands out......
I've read this 4 times and still can't figure what the hell you're trying to say ???

high end cables are junk ??
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
This is probably the best reply i have yet seen to such a cable question on AA.

Adding a thought to this instead of cabling swap, write down certain points in your selection of songs, listen enough so you know them inside and out and then compare when confident.

I cross brand my system keeping preamp and amps the same family and all source and power the second family.

No straight answer then take your time, and don’t be influenced other then yourself
Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
OMG..you are a funny man, Dan!
Sometime's audiophile's need to not take themselves so seriously.

Last edited by Canonicus; 05-24-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Default The quote was from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
I've read this 4 times and still can't figure what the hell you're trying to say ???

high end cables are junk ??
A.J. Conti. Remember him? And I understand it fully. Long confers with him were enlightening if slightly opinionated.