AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I am considering it.
Well........... as it is now late Sept, am guessing you have decided there is not enough interest. Too bad.

Am 'speaker shopping' and the Treo CT is right in my sweet-spot for both size and cost. Am also considering the Devore 0/93 Klipsch Forte III. The smallish tower of the Treo CT fits my listening space better than the wider Devore/Klipsch.

Any Treo CT owner's out there? What do you think?

Any other smallish towers I should consider in this price-range (narrower and shorter is better - no Tritons, for instance - too large)?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Well........... as it is now late Sept, am guessing you have decided there is not enough interest. Too bad.

Am 'speaker shopping' and the Treo CT is right in my sweet-spot for both size and cost. Am also considering the Devore 0/93 Klipsch Forte III. The smallish tower of the Treo CT fits my listening space better than the wider Devore/Klipsch.

Any other smallish towers I should consider in this price-range (narrower and shorter is better - no Tritons, for instance - too large)?
Hi Glenn,

The Treo CT are very fine sounding speakers. I've owned the Vandersteen 7 Mk2 for a year now and I'm extremely satisfied with them.

The other speakers I would recommend trying are the Revel F208. My friend purchased a pair last year and he loves them. They punch way above their price point and look beautiful.

Best of luck,
Ken
Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:

I have a pair of the Wood Quatros and they're great speakers! Richard Vandersteen designs and builds great speakers. The legendary 2c has been in production since 1976
Old 09-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Retired

Yep. See a trip down to Baltimore in my future.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Retired

Stopped by Audio Advice in Raleigh and listened to a pair of Quattro's. ARC full-Reference system (Ref75 amp) and a Patricia Barber CD (not the best music to audition with). But, they were wonderful sounding. AA was getting ready for a show so the Treo CT's had been moved out of the room for the moment. Will stop back by on my way north at the end of the month and give them a listen.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 PM

As I continually improve my upstream components in my system, the more my Quatro Wood CTs impress me. I've had mine since Sep 2013, right after the CT version was introduced. They compete well against just about every speaker I've heard selling for $30k or less, and a few that go beyond that price point. Right now I'm listening to Dave Brubeck come alive in my stereo room. I've got the music cranked up and the impact and presence is sublime. I was listening earlier to Mozart's Mass in C minor and parts of Handel's Messiah. They bring out the majesty of large choral works.

With my new tubed preamp, the Quatros make classic rock sound really nice. I have high rez files of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, and the Beatles. The tone of 60s and early 70s electric guitars and amps sound authentic. These speakers are highly accurate and musical transducers. This makes me wonder what the Model 5 and 7 sound like. If I know what's good for my wallet, I'll refrain from auditioning them!
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 10-22-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
As I continually improve my upstream components in my system, the more my Quatro Wood CTs impress me. I've had mine since Sep 2013, right after the CT version was introduced. They compete well against just about every speaker I've heard selling for $30k or less, and a few that go beyond that price point. Right now I'm listening to Dave Brubeck come alive in my stereo room. I've got the music cranked up and the impact and presence is sublime. I was listening earlier to Mozart's Mass in C minor and parts of Handel's Messiah. They bring out the majesty of large choral works.

With my new tubed preamp, the Quatros make classic rock sound really nice. I have high rez files of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, and the Beatles. The tone of 60s and early 70s electric guitars and amps sound authentic. These speakers are highly accurate and musical transducers. This makes me wonder what the Model 5 and 7 sound like. If I know what's good for my wallet, I'll refrain from auditioning them!
Congratulations, you have great speakers. The model 7 is incredible, you definitely don't want to listen to them if can't afford. They are the only speakers that made me pause when I bought Alexias. Vandersteen is great across the board. Really solid gear.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Congratulations, you have great speakers. The model 7 is incredible, you definitely don't want to listen to them if can't afford. They are the only speakers that made me pause when I bought Alexias. Vandersteen is great across the board. Really solid gear.
Thanks. I've got a few other priorities/interests that vie for my time and money as well. Kid #5 is on the way along with accompanying childcare, private school, and college fund investing. I also have a motorcycle addiction, photography hobby, and general traveling interests. That said, I do see a higher model Vandersteen in my future. Wilson and Magico would be contenders for my dollars when the time comes.
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM

The only time I have had the opportunity to hear the 7's was at RMAF 2016. They were probably the biggest surprise of the show for me. Based on previous demos at a local dealer I was never impressed with Vandersteen's products and went in with low expectations. I was stunned at how good the complete 7 set-up was. Anyone with the pocket book that could handle the 7 series speakers and amps should include them in their search for a top notch set-up.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I don't know what the criteria is for Ivan to add a new discussion section. That said, i'd like to put in a vote advocating for the inclusion of a dedicated Vandersteen section in AA so we can talk about them.