AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Smart decision.
Well..no I'm second guessing myself between the c2500 and c50. I have read there is enough improvement between the c2300 and c2500 (outside the inclusion of the DAC) to seriously consider the c2500.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
I really enjoyed your post.
I have also thought of a stereo in photographic terms.
My analysis was more of enlarging the negative, yes I’m that old.

Take a MC cartridge with an output of 0.5 mV and amplify it many times until the amplifier is putting out 20 volts or about 1000X.

The clarity of this “picture “ will depend upon all the magnifying stages. The earlier the distortion the larger the impact upon the picture.

The key regarding preamplifiers, as mentioned earlier is that the preamp will buffer the signal from the source (offering a very high impedance) and output a very low impedance signal to the amplifier. This requires a much more robust output stage then is typically found in a source component. Look at how much real estate is used in a typical preamplifier output stage compared to that if a source.

I have done the passive preamp, no preamp and high end preamp dance. I will always use a preamp in the future even if I don’t need switching capabilities.

Mike S.

I agree fully !
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Well..no I'm second guessing myself between the c2500 and c50. I have read there is enough improvement between the c2300 and c2500 (outside the inclusion of the DAC) to seriously consider the c2500.
If you can step up to the C2500 and that is what you want then you should do it once and do it right. It will cost less than upgrading to it eventually.

The smartest/most economical approach always was and always will be to buy as much as you can stretch your budget for that dream piece and enjoying it for a long time. Upgrades along the way will cost much more (unless you buy preowned)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Thanks for the interesting read Gentlemen! A lot to think about before offering my opinion on this.
Regards,
Jim
Old 12-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

AA Family. I was browsing old threads and I really enjoyed the topic of this one.

I'm now hot on the trail for a re-amplifier upgrade, and it all seems like Voodoo to me. I am a believer that Pr-amplification is necessary, and improves the sound. Mainly curious about the "how" is the pre-amp the heart and soul of the system, and a major influencer on what we hear.

In other words, as I shop for a D'agostino Momentum HD preamp (and thanks to this forum, I have some good leads on where to get a used one), how/why does that sound so much better than say a Audio Research REF6?

I'm all for buying good gear...just curious (ahead of spending nice car money on a preamp) how this works-
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW