AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Or you could go with a Paradigm Sub 2, but your neighbors may hate you!

Every good sub should be able to setup to tune to most speakers and have room EQ.
Not the REL T7i, which was the poster's question. With a bit of patience, it can be well tuned, but it does not have EQ/DSP. Still a great sub, probably the best for a larger room <$1,000.

Last edited by PeterMusic; 11-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Oh well I’ve gone and ordered one of these Nobsound 6J2 (Amazon finally got black versions in stock) and pair of matched Tubes, recommended by an old Forum friend

Allegedly you get the Tube magic to soften the treble sandiness/sibilance and tone controls to get the bass response tuned to personal preference

I’ll put this between DAC and Amplifier; and impart my findings soon ...been told it’s the cheapest, yet most worthwhile tweak to make digital audio sound more natural ;-)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
Lol I know what you mean. That sub would be too big in my Wife’s eyes unfortunately...needs to be white and compact these days... I did nearly get a pair of the Paradigm Seismic 110 once
My Paradigm Sub 2 is now a table in the corner! Kinda of cool. No one even knows it's there. I have it protected with black foam rollout covers you can get from anywhere so it doesn't scratch. Best corner table ever and it shakes the whole house!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:29 AM

WEIGHT 230 lbs. (106 kg)

Errr I don’t think that will be coming to my flat any time soon...but amazing Subwoofer I am certain ...I did hear a pair at Bristol HiFiShow many years ago and flapped they Dividers/tent they had put in the room
Old 12-03-2020, 07:01 AM

...so far with this Nobsound 6J2, done around 25 hours (they say 40 to burn in) I have learnt these 805D3 can sound very different with Tone Controls

By default they are linear, edging towards sounding thin and crisp (a-musical to my ears) ...add some enhanced Bass and they liven up!

Not sure the Nobsound is the ultimate solution, but am enjoying music more without being over critical - I do believe they need a good Subwoofer that can fatten the lower midrange a bit as well as extend down; like a REL on the high-level

For me, it’s going to be a REL T7i/T9i or DB3/2D in this scenario
Old 12-10-2020, 02:53 PM

If you can’t connect the DB series sub with a balanced connection I highly suggest you go with REL.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:01 PM

I can connect with XLR on current Cambridge Audio EDGE-A fortunately, the Pre-Out

The only thing I’m not wild about on the DBxD series is the iPhone App...not having any manual controls available is bothersome
Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
I can connect with XLR on current Cambridge Audio EDGE-A fortunately, the Pre-Out

The only thing I’m not wild about on the DBxD series is the iPhone App...not having any manual controls available is bothersome
The DB iPhone app is WAY better than the REL T manual controls. I own both. The REL requires careful sub placement, 20 minutes or so of 2 people's fidgeting with 2 different controls while playing a bass heavy track, then further adjustments over the next few days as you realize you didn't get it quite right before. The DB is more forgiving on placement due to DSP, then it automatically adjusts crossover to B&W mains and also to room in general. You then only need to set the relative volume control which is simple.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:25 AM

Lol I know what you mean; searching for the mystical REL ‘eigentone’ they claimed was in your room ...typically around 3” away from a corner, Subwoofer placement... gave me grey hairs and sleepless nights and irate Girlfriend searching for it!

I had two REL STORM III with 805N back then...never quite got it right
Old 12-11-2020, 09:22 PM

I had no issue setting up a REL B1 - got it right in two attempts. I will agree the iOS app is very handy and easy to use.