AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Amp for Summit X

I recently purchased a pair of Martin Logan Summit X and I am currently trying to figure out what some good amplification choices would be worth considering. I am using a Modwright LS 36.5 pre-amp and I need a single chassis silid state amp vs. mono blocks. I feel that these speakers need a little warmth, but I do not want to sacrifice extension.

I would appreciate some input from other ML owners.

Last edited by Audio 1; 06-10-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi A1 and welcome! I've been a ML owner for about 2.5 years. Started with Vantage and went to the Spire. The X was still a rumor at the time and did not want to wait! I do have my sites on the CLX in about a year.

Have you experimented with placement and rake yet? There are some things that can be done to tone down or warm up an ESL before jumping on new amps. I also found that silver wires made my system too bright for my taste and returned to copper.

I started with a MC352 which was in my opinion barely enough to drive the Vantage. It seemed to struggle and run out of steam and get congested. I then stepped up to the 501 and have no desire at this point to go any bigger. Please note I did qualify that! I can achieve about 50 watts in my room (11.6X23X8) before the room overloads. Usually my ears overload well before that and normal listening level is about 5 watts.

It may be heresy, but I know of several people who are using Pass Labs with great results and a friend of mine swears by his.

If I can be of any help, please post away! Not too many of here with ML and we can pool our knowledge.

Gordon
Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Hi Gordon,

I totally agree with you on the cables aspect and prior to changing to the ML's I did change my speaker and interconnect cables to avoid anything with silver. It is not that silver is bad for a lot of set-ups, but I also feel that with the panels it is a case of having too much of a good thing.
I have played with rake some and placement to the degree that I am capable of changing it. I also plan on adding some additional hf treatment on the wall behind the speakers.

My pre-amp while being a tube design is still very neutral and revealing and I feel that combined with the amp I currently have could use some more warmth. I agree on the Pass Labs input, but the medium to higher power models are very large and produce a lot of heat due to the class A bias. If I were able to accomodate like an XA250.5 or 350.5 it would certainly be a top consideration. The smaller model Stereophile reviewed so positively recently I am afraid would be a little too underpowered.
I can accomodate a McIntosh MC402 and I think this may be one way to go, but I don't want something too smmoth sounding that lacks extension.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM

If it must be a single chassis then I would opt for the MC402, which is a great amp; however, if you can swing it then I would go for a pair of MC501s. The 501s are really pretty special and you'll never have to second guess yourself on whether you made the right decision or not. With the introduction of the 501s into my system it was as if I had replaced my speakers. The difference was that dramatic.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
The Architect

Audio1 - have you considered auditioning the new Modwright KWA 150 amp since you have the LS 36.5? There would likely be a nice synergy there. I have not heard it myself yet but from everything I have read it sounds like it would be what you are looking for (a touch of warmth and great musicality for a SS amp).

From a Mc perspective the MC402 would be your best choice for a single chassis SS amp. I have heard the MC402 driving various ML speakers in the past (most recently this past Feb with C500 pre and MCD500) and I thought it sounded great!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables

Last edited by JJinID; 06-10-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM

JJinID,

I have actually been able to audition the Modwright KWA 150 at my friends house with the same speakers and pre-amp. I agree with you based on what I have read as well, but based on actual listening it is not a solution I would consider.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
License to Chill

I've been a Logan owner for over a decade. Started with the reQuests and evolved into the Prodigies. For most of that time I was using Krell amps. Until the blue light beamed from the sky and "awoke" me. I sold the Krell for the MC402. Which rocked! But I needed more. So off went the 402 to be replaced by the 501s. Wow!! The 501s are incredible. I highly recommend them with your Logans. In fact, Gordon mentioned back when I got the 402 it's just a matter of time until I get the 501s. And he was correct. But I digress, if you're looking for a great single chassis amp to mate with your Logans, the 402 should be on your short list.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM

I've frequently pondered the idea if a 602 could have been a good step up before the 501 if space was a concern. I realize that it is not made anymore but there may be guy in Florida (MasterLu) who may know of one!

Heat generation from the Pass and living in FL I'm sure is a concern. My 352 and the 501's barely get warm but my normal listening levels are 5-10 watts except for the days my kids come over!

I found that adding a pair of HF traps behind the panels mounted 4 inches off the wall was a substantial upgrade/improvement.

Gordon
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Gordon,

Yes as hot as it is right now I certainly don't need to generate any additional heat! and it is definitely a plus that the McIntosh amps operate at a nice temp.

I have to make some adjustments, but I plan on doing some HF traps behind the panels soon, but overall the Summit X's are incredible speakers and for sure the best I have owned to date.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM

A1, doesn't the X have some type of blue "bling" light out of the bottom? That could match very nicely with a pair of blue McIntosh eyes Is this your first pair of ML?

Gordon

P.S. Are you the same A1 at MLO club? If so, you should post a picture of your system here. Beautiful to say the least!!

Last edited by Gordon; 06-11-2009 at 11:34 AM.