AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just wondering whether the Sigma v1 NR outperforms my Ansuz D1 PC from the T3 to my ARC ref 6 pre amp.

And the old Ansuz D1 is only comparable to the new C2 now and no more trade ins
Old 07-09-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple88 View Post
Hi all,

Been reading about the positive reviews on the SIGMA XC2 PC.

I currently have a Typhon QR - T3 in my system. Wall to QR with Sigma NR v1.

With regards to my system, i am in a happy place. The rest of my Power cables are Ansuz Diamond v1 to my Preamp (ARC ref6) , Stereo Amp and Phonos. As i feel that it is rather prohibitive to change multiple PC due to earlier investments. What would you do?

- Trade in the SIGMA v1 NR to v2 XC
- Get the Sigma XC and swop the PC out from the ansuz D1(no trade in) to Sigma v1 NR

As it is, this staying at home is making the itch to try to improve the system further.

Rest of my system is Vitus stereo power and Wilson Sasha2 and i focus more on the analog sources.

Thanks in advance
The Ansuz D1's are still very good cables, if you are happy with the way your system sounds now, keep the D1's. (especially if you also use one of the Ansuz power distributors)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:56 AM

I'm using shunyata Triton 3 and typhon QR
Old 07-09-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
..Sigma XC for use with any new power distributor. I started by replacing my Sigma analog cord running to the Typhon QR with a Sigma XC. Wow! Yes definitely nice improvement. Well worth the investment for me. I noted across the board improvements from high to low. As Caelin has mentioned in past the power cord to the power distributor is critical. On that note I figured that the Sigma umbilical running from the Typhon QR to the Triton probably was another weak link and worth investigating an upgrade. I have just recently then been using a trial Sigma XC as an umbilical to the Triton. Holy smokes once again a truly shocking improvement - wow! Suddenly my system has opened up x10 - thunderous bass, pristine non fatiguing highs, improved resolution of fine details. Everything just sounds so much closer to live music. What an amazing and wonderful accomplishment by the Shunyata team.
DMelby and Puma Cat could you please shed a bit of light theorizing the level of different upgrades? I'm trying to figure out the path forward..

1. Typhon QR upg to Sigma XC-wall. XX% improvement
2. Typhon QR upg to Sigma XC umbilical XX% improvement
3. Triton V3 upg to Everest XX% improvement
4. Sigma Ethernet upg to Omega Ethernet XX% improvement
Old 07-09-2020, 01:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
DMelby and Puma Cat could you please shed a bit of light theorizing the level of different upgrades? I'm trying to figure out the path forward..

Sorry, crion2, I can't comment on products I've never heard or give % of improvement as this is way too system dependent, and not a set of absolutes. Also as a system, there's the possibility of too many significant interactions with system components to be able to speak in such terms.

Here's what I can say:

Everest is a big step up in performance, sound quality, and noise reduction over Denali V2, which itself is a significant improvement over earlier Triton models (e.g. the V1). Then there's what a QR/BB device that is 3X the size of the QR/BB in Denali v2 and the CMode filter brings to the presentation, which is considerable. I've come to learn that both Everest and Denali really need a first-class PC powering them to realize full performance. A Denali powered by a Delta XC PC does not completely demonstrate what Denali is fully capable of the way a Sigma XC does.

Omega XC provides more DTCD performance than the Sigma XC, which in turn is cleaner and faster-sounding than Sigma NRv2. All three are exemplary, and head and shoulders above anything else I've ever heard.

The Omega Ethernet sounds notably better in all respects of audio reproduction than the Sigma Ether, which itself is parsecs beyond anything else I've personally heard. It has less noise, more detail, more focus, more "body" to instruments, and is more layered and nuanced in the presentation.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post

Great questions! I'm doing very little streaming so I haven't looked at getting the Omega ethernet - others hopefully can comment on that. I did though one step at a time upgrade first the Sigma XC from wall to Typhon QR. then second the Typhon QR umbilical to Triton V3, and then finally replaced the Triton V3 with an Everest. I did A/B each step, but I didn't go back a step and A/B for example my old Sigma analog to the Typhon QR instead of the Sigma XC. I did compare the Everest alone to the Everest/Typhon QR as well. So with some of the above caveats in mind, and YMMV, this is what I would say: Typhon QR to Sigma XC-wall 40% improvement, Typhon QR to Sigma XC-umbilical 40% improvement (yes the two of these improved the Typhon QR / Triton 3 almost twice as good). They were additive, so I kind of think of these two cables as dams in the flow and until both are upgraded the Triton V3 remained restricted. Finally Triton V3 to Everest alone (no Typhon QR) was better than the best of the Typhon QR/V3 with XCs all around so 150%. Adding the Typhon QR to the Everest was maybe about 20% better or something like that. I worry though that the Typhon QR with the standard umbilical may not be of benefit, or even could degrade the Everest - not sure at all Also keep in mind that I don't have any high power amps running so maybe that would be different in that setting and unrestricted access from wall to Everest could be important . I would say the Everest probably should have the XC cable on it to let it sing so might be important to factor in decisions. Depending on budget, can't go wrong starting with the XC to the Typhon QR alone. If budget allows, then the Everest with XC would be next for me with the final step XC umbilical as icing on the top.
As an aside, the XC upgrades to the Typhon QR and Triton v3 were a bigger upgrade than from Triton V2 to V3. So well worth it from that perspective. And the Everest upgrade was way waay bigger than the upgrade from V2 to V3 (and the V3 upgrade was awesome as it was!)

Last edited by DMelby; 07-09-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM

Thankyou Puma and DMelby, I know this is YMMV in spades but it actually helps!

I do streaming all the time and use extensively CAT cables as AES/EBU or S/PDIF carriers in a Meridian based system with active speakers. I have one Tv3 for frontend and one Tv3 for the 3 main front speakers. Both have Sigma XC's.

Only two spots could really warrant Omega ethernet and that is streamer AES/EBU to preamp and HDMI audio splitter 4xS/PDIF or AES/EBU to preamp. In both these locations I have auditioned Sigma ethernet and it does have a great effect to the quality of the sound, depth, realism. So it is a bit different than when upgrading the Tritons or the powercables. The ethernet sort of hits a critical spot (AQ Diamond today).

But if I would theorize a bit maybe two Sigma Ethernet and upgrading one Tv3 to Everest (either frontend or amp Tv3) would net higher performance, it's a tough call.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:08 PM

DMelby,

Thanks for that great response to crion2's questions regarding % of improvement of each upgrade with the new Shunyata products given that each individual's results may vary because of a myriad of factors. I like that you were able to rate each upgrade in a relative fashion.

My question to you: When you say "40%" better, specifically, what do you mean? Are we talking about specific improvements (e.g. better bass, density of tone, soundstage)? A 40% improvement in sound quality at this ($$$) level is HUGE in audio terms. Just wanted to better understand how you define the 40%.

Last edited by lem321; 07-10-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
DMelby,

Thanks for that great response to crion2's questions regarding % of improvement of each upgrade with the new Shunyata products given that each individual's results may vary because of a myriad of factors. I like that you were able to rate each upgrade in a relative fashion.

My question to you: When you say "40%" better, specifically, what do you mean? Are we talking about specific improvements (e.g. better bass, density of tone, soundstage)? A 40% improvement in sound quality at this ($$$) level is HUGE in audio terms. Just wanted to better understand how you define the 40%.
If I can add my experiences along with Dr. Melby's, it's better with respect to any audio attribute one would care to consider...across the board. It's better...EVERYWHERE.

As I mentioned a few posts above...they are head and shoulders better; these new PCs are a breakthrough in performance of a magnitude I have not experience before.

Furthermore, trying to describe "magnitude" differences, e.g. 40%, 45%, or 37.8%, blah, blah, in no way, in my opinion, tells the story here either with respect to accuracy or experience. The improvement these PCs brings is much more of KIND rather than DEGREE, a new, qualitative type of improvement and more importantly, experiences where the standard nomenclature and lexicon used in Audiophile-La-La-Land regarding "gear" is not applicable. One has to start using a descriptive language that describes the differences and nuances between fine musical instruments, e.g. the way a Bosendorfer sounds differently than a Steinway Grand, or actual musical performances and the qualities and attritbutes of performance spaces rather than...gear. Describing what these PCs and Everest (and Denali) do for a system as "gear" is "1-dimensional", nor does them justice in the experiences they create.

Don't take my word for it, ask SCAudiophile, Dr. Melby, and the other folks that have obtained Everest and these new NR PCs.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-10-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:47 PM

I've had several Anacondas during the years. Then came Sigma HC. This was the best by far and a milestone. Now XC's they are that step up again (atleast!). When I switched 2x Sigma HC's to Sigma XC for my Tv3's it was a component level upgrade. DMelby is merely confirming what I already know there. But it was nice to correlate this point about the level of improvement of the XC's.

Last edited by crion2; 07-10-2020 at 02:52 PM.