AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM

I'll just leave it here.... Come on down from that satellite to the surface of the moon and take a good look at the Earth.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM

This one is from the Chinese National Space Administration... Well, if one of them is right, the other must be.... They probably should have agreed on "scale" before releasing these pictures to the public.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Absolutely and I have taken that into consideration as well. The somewhat elliptical orbit of the Moon does "somewhat" affect our perception of it's size. No doubt the Earth would also appear "somewhat smaller or larger" depending on where the Moon is located in its orbit. However, according to everything I read, even when we see that "very large" moon on the horizon, science says it is an optical illusion... However, if you look at that satellite image I have posted, you can clearly see how HUGE the earth looks from the moon and not those puny little earth shots from the Apollo missions...
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the same phenomenon apply as it relates to perceived size?

The factor of perceived size of the Moon is can range as much as to 20:1 or greater (this is just an estimate on my part) and theoretically everything between. It stands to reason the same would apply to the Earth when viewed from the Moon. N'est pas?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Lamp cord or high end cables?

Ok sorry - couldn’t resist
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the same phenomenon apply as it relates to perceived size?

The factor of perceived size of the Moon is can range as much as to 20:1 or greater (this is just an estimate on my part) and theoretically everything between. It stands to reason the same would apply to the Earth when viewed from the Moon. N'est pas?
No sir. Definitely not 20:1. Even the "larger" than usual moon over the horizon is an optical illusion they say. That's to say the size of the moon should not vary much from our earthly perspective. Neither should the Earth from the Moon it would follow.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM

Well gentlemen, it all boils down to a possibility fundamentally stemming from the very fact that at our most basic level, we are made up of "particles". Particles which blip in and out of existence.... Scientists are aware of this. Are we?

Is it possible that based on many theories out there, we are indeed nothing more than a quantum cloud of particles that appears whole and solid but there is no such thing really.

The reality that is yours, may not be my reality. For all we know, I, PHC1 could be just a figment of your imagination just like the rest of you are a figment of my imagination and reality blending into one.

In our various and altered realities, the moon landing happened for some, never happened for others. The earth may indeed be round for some, flat for others and it would also explain a whole bunch of other things...

As some scientists have raised the question, does that "other place" even exist if we are not physically there? Oh sure, the illusion of that "other place" will appear just like the quantum experiments show that a particle knows if it is being observed.... Hmmm.... Matrix? Living in a simulation? Or is this just our cosmic existence and nothing more than a "quantum dream"?

Last edited by PHC1; 01-23-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
No sir. Definitely not 20:1.
You sure about that? Maybe 10:1 largest to smallest. I can't say.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
You sure about that? Maybe 10:1 largest to smallest. I can't say.

Science clearly says "it is an optical illusion". I've wondered that same thing myself. Either they don't want us to know about it or they are mistaking. The phenomena strangely remains unexplained.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Lamp cord or high end cables?

Ok sorry - couldn’t resist
The parallel universe theory would certainly explain the whole cable debate thing. Perhaps we should always start a new cable thread with the opening statement of "in my reality, cable XYZ made profound diffferences"....
Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Science clearly says "it is an optical illusion". I've wondered that same thing myself. Either they don't want us to know about it or they are mistaking. The phenomena strangely remains unexplained.
In any case it would seem to help explain the varied Earth size as viewed from the moon, whatever the cause.
Closed Thread