AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Classe CA-2300 + CP-800 Review

On Friday, my new Classe CA-2300 amp and CP-800 preamp arrived. While still waiting on speakers for my second system, I decided to lug them upstairs and put them through a test on my main system.

Classe is one of those manufacturers that seems to continually make great products which are highly reviewed and often in many of the Recommended Components lists for TAS, Stereophile, etc.

The CA-2300 and CP-800 are part of the new Delta series from Classe. Very stylish looking and both incorporate state of the art technologies. The amp incorporates cooling technologies borrowed from medical device technology and the preamp incorporates cutting edge inputs, including USB and bass management.

I had previously owned the CP-800 for about 6 weeks and was never that impressed with it. Truthfully, I had never really explored all its connections - including USB (but more on that later). I also was running version 1.0 of the software and its now on 1.4 with some nice improvements (obviously!)

For my second system, the features of the CP-800 make it nearly impossible to ignore. It has everything I needed in a preamp (USB, DAC, Bass Management, etc.) So yes, I purchased my second CP-800 in the same year!

With my C1000T in for repairs, I had room in my rack for the CP-800. I had a spare amp stand, which is where I placed the CA-2300.

The CA-2300 is a heavy amp at 100 pounds, but not nearly as heavy as the 1.2kws I lugged up the stairs a couple of months ago. It's build quality is excellent and I really do like the styling. The speaker connectors were never a problem for the spades of the WW Eclipse 6.

The CA-2300 was used (purchased from a member here on AA) and the CP-800 was new (and therefore can only improve with more break-in time). I used the stock power cords for both the amp and preamp and I connected them using my cheapo Monoprice IC's. Speaker cables were Wireworld Eclipse 6.

As a source, I tried my McIntosh MCD1100 using XLR, Coax, Optical and Digital XLR. I also hooked up my Mac Mini (circa 2011) using a Wireworld Platinum USB cable.

My testing began using a variety of SACD's on my MCD1100 using XLR (and therefore using the DAC in the 1100). The first thing I noticed was that the vocals appeared a little more polite and flatter compared to my McIntosh 2301/C1000 combo. Bass was tight and slightly less pronounced, but the difference was not completely noticeable. The higher frequencies were surprisingly good for a solid state amp. There was no over zealous brightness which can regularly be found with some SS amps. It was quite smooth.

As I continued to listen, I realized this was a very good amp/preamp combination - not great - but very good and especially good considering their cost. This combination appeared to have excellent quickness and it was surprisingly detailed in the presentation of a wide variety of instruments and vocals.

As I switched over to some of the digital inputs, things continued to improve. I found the DAC in the CP-800 quite good. Not has rich and detailed as the one in the MCD1100, but very close.

As the hours past, I couldn't help but think how pleasing this amp/preamp combo was to listen to. No desire to turn it off, in fact, quite the opposite. I found myself thinking "if the CA-2300 sounds this good, how must those CA-M600's sound?" The CA-M600's are always highly reviewed. TAS recently called them the best amps Classe has ever made and quite possibly the best amps ever made period. A big bold statement for sure.

I then began testing the Classe' combo with my Mac Mini via the V-Link 192 SPDI/F. Output was a Digital XLR cable (AES/EBU). This combination was on par with the other digital inputs. Very good.

I also purchased a JL Audio F110 to use with my new system (a second one is on its way), so I decided to test out the Bass Management capabilities of the CP-800. In less than 2 minutes I was able to connect the sub, enter the CP-800 setup, set the HP Filter and crossover at 40hz and listen. The CP-800 handled the integration very well and I was pleasantly surprised at how seamless the F110 integrated with the Strads. Enough with the testing, it works, so I set everything back to full range and removed the sub.

Late in the day, I decided to bypass my Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 SPDI/F and run the USB directly from my MacBook pro into the USB input of the CP-800.

This is when things dramatically changed and went from "very good" to "incredible". Everything improved. Sound stage depth, width, detail, bass, you name it. I literally sat up in my chair in amazement. Songs ripped to Apple Lossless running through my Mac Mini via a WW Platinum USB cable and into the CP-800 USB input sounded BETTER than the redbook CD's on my MCD1100 played through both analog and digital outputs. How could this be?

It is clear that Classe has spent an inordinate amount of time and energy perfecting the USB input. All reviews and press releases support this finding. In addition, after speaking with Classe this morning, it is clear that they designed the CP-800 from the USB input out. I hate to say it, but the analog and digital inputs seem like afterthoughts (and they may have been) when compared to the quality the USB input produces. Night and day. Night and day.

If you are building a digital based system, one which is primarily based around a MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, CAPS PC system, etc., the CP-800 is a definite audition in my opinion. It's capabilities to handle USB sources is second to none. Although the USB input is limited to 96K today, it will pass 24/192 material (although it compresses it to 96K) - but even those files sounded fantastic. I spoke to Classe this morning and an update (hardware and software) to the CP-800 is coming in Q1 next year. Sound familiar fellow MCD1100 owners? The update will incorporate some new features including full 24/192, Apple Airplay and DLNA.

As for the CA-2300, it performed marvelously on the Strads. Unlike other SS amps I've had over the years, I experienced no listener fatigue whatsoever. The amp was very smooth and detailed, fast and accurate. A delight to listen to. I simply kept wondering how good those CA-M600's might be.

At the end of the day, either the Strads make any amp sound good, or this truly is a really good amp and exceptionally good at its price point or perhaps...a little of both...I don't know. But with 600 watts into 4 ohms, there was plenty of power on tap and the Strads loved all of it.

Will I be trading my 2301's anytime soon? Not a chance. The 2301's better the CA-2300 in many areas - especially mid-range presentation....but so they should at over 3 times the price! That being said, I could easily be very happy with the CA-2300 as my main amp in my system. Placed on a pair of Guarneri Momento's, combined with a pair of JL Audio F110's...I suspect it will sound marvelous....we shall see.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utf-8''IMG_8658.jpg (12.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg utf-8''IMG_8657.jpg (17.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg utf-8''IMG_8659.jpg (11.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by mbovaird; 10-29-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Congrats Mike!

I did not realize how much the CA-2300 weighed. I absolutely love your setup. The living room setup with the Classe gear should prove wonderful.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Great write up, Mike !!!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks Joe & Mark! With my C1000T in for repairs and my MCD1100 in for the upgrade, I'm glad I have these babies!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Fun to read Mike, I have always been a Classe fan, it's a brand that doesn't seem well liked around these parts...the CP800 is a great value!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Thanks Joe & Mark! With my C1000T in for repairs and my MCD1100 in for the upgrade, I'm glad I have these babies!
What happened to your C1000T?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu

What happened to your C1000T?
It blew up! LOL. I put in some new tubes, plugged it back in and ZAP! The whole left side was gone. No lights, no camera, no action.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Great write-up and congrats on the new acquisitions. we should all be so lucky to have this kind of "secondary" system. Hopefully your reference system will back in operations soon as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252
Great write-up and congrats on the new acquisitions. we should all be so lucky to have this kind of "secondary" system. Hopefully your reference system will back in operations soon as well.
Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Rebellious!

Great review. I knew that the Classe CP-800 was redeemable..