Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Frank Sinatra - In the wee small hours
Qobuz 24/192

Recorded in '55 (except for one track).
Wonderful remaster.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Frank Sinatra - In the wee small hours
Qobuz 24/192

Recorded in '55 (except for one track).
Wonderful remaster.
A great listen! I played through this album just last night before bed.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Life is beautiful

With temperatures up to 100°F, this is nice and smooth!

Frank Sinatra - Nice 'N' Easy
Qobuz 24/44.1

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
A great listen! I played through this album just last night before bed.

Dan, there is something magical about Sinatra in the 50s.
He still had a wonderful voice, and the recordings were already very decent (more so than his 40s records).
Old 08-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Life is beautiful

Marcin Wasilewski Trio - Joe Lovano - Arctic Riff
Qobuz 24/88.2

I like Lovano, I like Wasilewski's trio, and I like the combined forces.

Marcin Wasilewski has been a resident at ECM for sixteen years. And for 25 years, the Munich label has turned the Polish pianist and his trio of fellow countrymen (Slawomir Kurkiewicz on double bass and Michał Miśkiewicza on drums) into an intimate and pure workshop. To celebrate this anniversary, the band invited tenor saxophone giant Joe Lovano to their cosy fiesta. The American's lyricism, which is never raucous, is perfectly lined up in the piano inherited from Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett from the Polishman who always expresses himself economically. But it’s not only wisdom and recollection that we find here. Wasilewski knows how to be voluble and even unpredictable, like on the determined Cadenza, and even mysterious like his improvisations on Vashkar, the only cover on the record by Carla Bley. © Max Dembo/Qobuz
Old 08-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Life is beautiful

Ambrose Akinmusire - On The Tender Spot Of Every Calloused Moment
Qobuz 24/96

This musician is sometimes not so easy on the ear, but he always succeeds in touching me.
A top class performer and also composer.
I liked this Qobuz review:

Ambrose Akinmusire is the most intriguing jazz musician of his generation. Each one of his albums showcases the scope of his vivid imagination, a passion for creative freedom, an unfailing accuracy when playing and a deeply personal approach to music. In 2018, he released the beautiful and daring Origami Harvest which featured a string quartet and an MC and combined classical and contemporary chamber music, soul and spoken word. The trumpeter from Bay Area even occasionally freelances for Kendrick Lamar. He now returns to a more classic setting alongside his bandmates Sam Harris on piano, Harish Raghavan on bass and Justin Brown on drums. Well, at least on the face of it, as Akinmusire’s narrative approach and fidelity to Great Black Music render his work unique. For his fifth Blue Note album entitled On the Tender Spot of Every Calloused Moment, he tackles the complexity of black life in America head-on, having seen the best and the worst of his country and channels it all into these original blues compositions. It’s the same roadmap that has guided his musical journey since the beginning. “In a way, I was thinking about this as a sequel to my first record for Blue Note, I’m returning to the landmarks on my first album When the Heart Emerges Glistening.”. As with his previous work, a feeling of “otherness” and what that means in a country with such a turbulent racial history is central to his music, but here it is intensified. The well-attuned quartet are in dialogue with one another, sometimes holding themselves back. Ambrose Akinmusire, himself, is far from shy, the jazz in On the Tender Spot of Every Calloused Moment is simply imbued with an extraordinary serenity. His compositions surpass those of his contemporaries, notably Mr. Roscoe (Consider the Simultaneous), a tribute to Roscoe Mitchell, the saxophonist from the Art Ensemble of Chicago (the first band he saw on stage at just 13 years old!), whom he had met two years before recording this. Roy is another superb tribute, this time to trumpeter Roy Hargrove who passed away at the end of 2018. This one is a slower, experimental post-bop piece driven by an almost telepathic understanding between the four musicians. The final track, Hooded Procession (Read the Names Aloud), is a stripped-back song that features a solemn Fender Rodes piano playing solo. This is a fantastic album which seems to look ahead to the future as much as it reflects on the past. The last sentence of the liner notes written by saxophonist Archie Shepp says it all when it comes to Akinmusire – “This is the Cat!” © Marc Zisman/Qobuz
Old 08-07-2020, 05:06 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Enrico Pieranunzi - Common View
Qobuz 24/96

Very solid piano trio jazz album.

Revisiting this album.
Worthy of my time!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Friends
Larry Carlton
An amazing recording of fine play and music.
Warner Bros. 23834-1
Regards,
Jim

Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 PM
Retired

Chick Corea's "Return To Forever". Next to the "Friends" LP, this is his best.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCRTF.jpg (86.1 KB, 73 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Iron Starlet
Connie Han
Excellent Jazz, She can play!
Mack Ave B084DG178D
Regards,
Jim