AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Default VPI Scout vs Classic 1 (possible upgrade?)

Hi, after living with my Scout for the last 4 months and loving every minute of it, the upgrade bug reared its ugly head again.

I'm wondering if it would be a big improvement when moving from my Scout (early model with acrylic platter) to a new Classic 1. If so what would be the areas that would mostly improve?
Im using a Dynavector DV 20x2L cartridge and an Electrocompaniet ECP-1 phono amp that would stay in place.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Hi Gert, I too have the VPI Scout for about a year now with Lyra cartridge and loving every moment of it. It's too bad, I was just in Amsterdam last week for four days I could have listen to your system. I also bought lots of record at Concerto in Amsterdam. They have lots of good audiophile record as well.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 AM

I would be interested in hearing impressions from VPI owners who have had or heard both as well.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:40 AM

Owned both, I find with the same cart that I get lower background noise on the Classic, better control in the bass, and better resolution (separation improved too). Don't forget you get a better arm, not just a better table, and I think going from the acrylic to alum platter is a good move.

The other option I'd suggest would be to go 12" alum platter and the periphery ring.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
Owned both, I find with the same cart that I get lower background noise on the Classic, better control in the bass, and better resolution (separation improved too). Don't forget you get a better arm, not just a better table, and I think going from the acrylic to alum platter is a good move.

The other option I'd suggest would be to go 12" alum platter and the periphery ring.
Thank you for the comparisons and impressions of the 2 tables. I have a Rega RP6 now, but I think the Classic would be a solid and financially realistic step up from the Rega, so I hope to one day make a move in that direction.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM

The classic series is a significant upgrade from the Scout. Better sound staging & dynamics. Overall a better table.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanji View Post
The classic series is a significant upgrade from the Scout. Better sound staging & dynamics. Overall a better table.
I agree with this assessment. I have owned both and there is a significant upgrade from the Scout to Classic. Soundstage specificity and bass stability/definition come to mind most. Much more stable, realistic sound. Not that the Scout is poor in any of these areas, just that the Classic is a large jump up. The other thing to note (at least in my experience) is that the Classic is much easier to place. The Scout and my most recent table prior to the Classic - the Clearaudio Concept, were very susceptible to room feedback. The Classic seems to be designed with a much, much greater mass and also better isolation feet so as to make placement much easier and a lot less tweaky.