AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Magnepan MG 1.7i - In the (mountain) House

I was a long time Magneplanar user/listener - having started with Tympani's (3 panel) and progressing through various single panel Maggies as room sizes and needs changed.

My last pair were 20.1's - which I sold (for whatever ill-advised reason) about 10 years ago.

Well, as most of you might well understand, I got the itch to try Maggies again - and decided to try one of the less sizable (and less costly) of their speakers.

I was using a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos at my cottage in the Tennessee mountains - and last week, I moved them aside and purchased a pair of the highly touted MG 1.7i's and put them in the SF's place (for a while, I thought!)

WOW - am I impressed.

Listening now, as I write this, I am amazed at just how good these little Maggies really are.

My wife is still asleep and I'm listening at low volume - and still the speakers sound amazingly good. Huge soundstage, spreading all across the front of the room. Pure, beautiful sound - instruments perfectly placed and standing there in mid-air. Some guy seems to be right there in my room singing to me.

I do remember my Tympani's and larger Magnepan speakers sounding "fuller" at higher volume levels, but I don't remember them sounding as "correct" and pure as these little fellows do - especially at low volume.

These 1.7i's are wonderful.

And I do wonder if I don't have somewhere else to use my Sonus Faber's.

I think I'm gonna love these Maggies.

I do stil have my JL Audio F112 subwoofer here, which i anticipate will make the Magenpan sound even "better" and may well make them rival (equal?) the larger Maggie's of my now distant memory - and, I will hook-up that beast up later today.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Life is beautiful

Wow, congrats Julian!
You spend so much time in that beautiful room, you deserve a decent system there - although the SFs surely did a good job.
You're fooling us though: you speak of a cottage as were it a shack, I'd rather call it a large house.
Time to visit you again to hear the new acquisition.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Subaholic

The true sign of a great speaker: sounds good at low volumes. I love that picture of your 20.1's
Hook that sub up today.

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 AM

On our trip to Audio Classics last summer, my Wife listened to various systems. She had to come home with a pair of Maggie's .7`s. I was very impressed with their performance.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Here's a photo of the 1.7i's in place.

Obviously, I am aware that the too-close sofa is blocking some of the sound, but the tweeters are on the inside and are unobstructed. They do sound GOOD.

Also, a picture of my old 20.1's and they are BIGGER

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1489249459
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSCF0521.jpg (95.5 KB, 540 views)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Subaholic

20.1 is my dream life speaker.

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Listener in Training

Julian,
Enjoy those 1.7s and stay warm this weekend!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 PM

add some DWM panels to your smaller 1.7s
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf-11 View Post
add some DWM panels to your smaller 1.7s
Good suggestion, but I do believe that my JL Audio F-112 will complement the Magnepan's quite nicely. They are at least equal to the Magnepans in speed, and the preliminary testing I conducted with the combo this afternoon indicates that it will do the job well.

Plus, I already own the JL Audio sub. and that is a real plus!

Last edited by AudioNut; 03-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:37 PM

Julian - nice to see you enjoying the special dipole sound again. I've heard great things about the 1.7i so your thread confirms all the good comments. Next step: update your signature to reflect the Maggie!