AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 03-29-2018, 09:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
You certainly do push for people to subscribe. I didn't post in order to get a sales pitch: I wanted opinions on the tonal differences between those tubes.
John.......I encourage basic members to become Subscribers all the time. The subscription dues are $25.00 annually, a whopping $0.06 a day to help support this great audio forum. No one is trying to sell you anything, but passing on becoming a Subscriber leaves many of the fun benefits of this forum like the Marketplace, private messaging, free give-a-ways, promotion pricing to Subscribers, and so much more unavailable to you.

It's your choice to enjoy the forum as a basic member, mining the website and its members for information to help improve your audio experience. No one is discouraging you from doing that, but I can tell you one thing. If you think being rude to a member who made an effort to help you, then simply encouraged you to become a Subscriber, which by the way would save you a boat load of money when purchasing tubes from our Marketplace tube vendor, you may find that attitude influencing other members who might be less likely to offer you guidance or advice when you most need it. None of us here are obliged to answer a single question you may post unless we choose to do so. Something to think about.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......I encourage basic members to become Subscribers all the time. The subscription dues are $25.00 annually, a whopping $0.06 a day to help support this great audio forum. No one is trying to sell you anything, but passing on becoming a Subscriber leaves many of the fun benefits of this forum like the Marketplace, private messaging, free give-a-ways, promotion pricing to Subscribers, and so much more unavailable to you.

It's your choice to enjoy the forum as a basic member, mining the website and its members for information to help improve your audio experience. No one is discouraging you from doing that, but I can tell you one thing. If you think being rude to a member who made an effort to help you, then simply encouraged you to become a Subscriber, which by the way would save you a boat load of money when purchasing tubes from our Marketplace tube vendor, you may find that attitude influencing other members who might be less likely to offer you guidance or advice when you most need it. None of us here are obliged to answer a single question you may post unless we choose to do so. Something to think about.
+1. The folks on this forum are truly a great group that help people out as much as possible. My system would be no where near what it is without the input from the people here. I've bought gear from people here with 100% satisfaction (and plan more), but that is secondary to the comradeship and sharing that have benefitted everyone.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 PM

I've got the Dialogue HP integrated and 3 months ago swapped out the stock EL34 with the Tung Sol KT150s.

I was running Quad 2805s and swapped those out for a pair of Evolution Acoustic Micro 1's. Both speakers were augmented by a pair of JL Audio E12 subwoofers.

I've got a pair of Dali Epicon 8s arriving in the next 10 days or so and will try both sets of tubes.

What I found with the KT150s is pretty much what you read. More and tighter bass, no change in the upper registers in terms of glare, edge or whatever you want to call it.

The midrange is extremely good, but as has been said, the extraordinary beautiful midrange of the EL34s is better. If I only listened to jazz and jazz vocals, the EL34 would be my tube of choice. It is the majority of my listening. BUT.... as a percussionist I also wander over to the music of West Africa, Cuba, Cameroon and Frank Zappa as well as modern classical. For those genres I find the KT150 to be a better match.

For my 65 year old ears the KT150 is 85 - 90% of the wonderfulness of the EL34 but is much better on the other stuff.

And finally, I agree yet again with everybody that supports being a subscriber. I don't post much but visit here everyday. I've learned a lot and have had a lot of fun "sitting in" on the development of systems I hope one day to hear. I've also been lucky enough to even purchase a couple of pieces from Ivan, (subs and Dalis) and like many others here, have experienced what it's like to to do business with an extremely knowledgeable guy who puts YOUR needs first.

Being a supporter and subscriber helps keep all of the wonderful things I've experienced during the past year alive.

Thanks to all of you for such a great place to hang out!!

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables

Last edited by jzzmusician; 03-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post

So, I'll be man enough and say I apologize; but, this site doesn't run 24x7 on autopilot.

Best Sir,

Bob your more a man then me to apologize.

There is no confusion in what was said especially to one who is offering support.

If whatever his name jumps back on here, perhaps he will realize poor judgment and be the one who apologizes, not only to you but the forum.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:05 PM

I apologize for my previous rude remark. I guess I'm not in a great place at the moment.

jzzmusician and vintage_tube, thank you for your responses: they were very helpful.

Last edited by Toccata; 03-29-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
I apologize for my previous rude remark. I guess I'm not in a great place at the moment.

jzzmusician and vintage_tube, thank you for your responses: they were very helpful.
Accepted John -- you're amongst friends Sir.

A poster my sister gave me from '66. Says a lot to me -- tattered, torn, rugged & had seen better days, but hangs proud above my left speaker.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 AM

I just renewed my subscription!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Quote:
I just renewed my subscription!
John.......As Bob would say, "Cool Beans". We all have bad days. It's how we recover from them that matters. Way to go. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Well played Gentlemen!
Another good example of why this forum is so great.
Tip my hat to all parties involved.