AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 10-12-2019, 06:42 AM

I had the LP70s a while ago. I just found it a bit “atonal “. Might be the 6550 valve it used.

Now have a Classic 120SE amp and it’s one of the greatest sounding amps I’ve owned. Those Teflon caps do take a while to settle in. It has density and tone that the LP70s just didn’t quite nail.

May I suggest the Classic 62SE?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Retired

Had a Classic 60SE for a while and thought it was a terrific amp. Every bit as good as the McIntosh MC275MkIV I had previously. If forced to pick between the two I would keep the CJ amp. However, I had two complaints.......... the end-caps on top of the two output transformers were ugly. A distraction when running without the tube cage (which I prefer). And, it simply did not have the 'balls' to push my new speakers, which are not tube-friendly. With different speakers I would likely still have the 60SE.

I'll guess about the only difference between the 60SE & 62SE is the newer amp now has decent end-caps on the output transformers so looks good without the tube cage.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello Stephen,

I am using SET 300B monoblocks or an Accuphase A65 amp with the GAT.
I love the A65, but I am interested in the LP70S to get a full CJ sound with the GAT.
I use high eff horn speakers and do not need high power but I need both very sweet and opened treble. (Compressions are the TAD 2001).
How is sounding the LP70S in the treble?
Which tubes are you using in your amp?
Many thanks in advance!
Hi Jerome,
I am using Tung-Sol KT120s for power tubes and Ediswan 6922s for the input/driver tubes. The Ediswans really took the to a very nice level.

And, I don't find the amp to be "atonal", whatever that means. Its, in my experience...lovely.

You may remember I had a Premier 350 for about a year or so in the 2012/2013 time-frame and I sold that to Vance (VHiner) as I personally preferred the sound the of LP70S...(I just like tubes).

I should also add that the LP70S was from the same linear pentode series of amps, incl. the LP140M and 275Ms that were C-J's SOTA amps before the current ART monos and SA amps were launched, but as a now-fairly-long-time CJ owner, you probably already know that.

So, a strong and solid recommendation from me.

Cheers,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Had a Classic 60SE for a while and thought it was a terrific amp. Every bit as good as the McIntosh MC275MkIV I had previously. If forced to pick between the two I would keep the CJ amp. However, I had two complaints.......... the end-caps on top of the two output transformers were ugly. A distraction when running without the tube cage (which I prefer). And, it simply did not have the 'balls' to push my new speakers, which are not tube-friendly. With different speakers I would likely still have the 60SE.

I'll guess about the only difference between the 60SE & 62SE is the newer amp now has decent end-caps on the output transformers so looks good without the tube cage.
Good info, Glenn.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Good info, Glenn.
Thanks. I'll add that my Luxman SQ-N10 and Manley Mahi mono-block tube amps could not push this particular set of speakers, either. Nor did my 60wpc or 90wpc SS amps. My current SS amp with 145wpc sounds great with them.

My particular Classic 60SE was configured in triode for EL34 and made 35wpc. CJ will reconfigure their amps to pentode and/or KT88/6550 for a nominal fee. If vocals are your thing (I'm an opera fan), the EL34s in triode are about as good as it gets. For 'bigger' music (orchestral, rock, etc.) you may prefer pentode and the larger tubes.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Jerome,

I am using Tung-Sol KT120s for power tubes and Ediswan 6922s for the input/driver tubes. The Ediswans really took the to a very nice level.

And, I don't find the amp to be "atonal", whatever that means. Its, in my experience...lovely.

You may remember I had a Premier 350 for about a year or so in the 2012/2013 time-frame and I sold that to Vance (VHiner) as I personally preferred the sound the of LP70S...(I just like tubes).

I should also add that the LP70S was from the same linear pentode series of amps, incl. the LP140M and 275Ms that were C-J's SOTA amps before the current ART monos and SA amps were launched, but as a now-fairly-long-time CJ owner, you probably already know that.

So, a strong and solid recommendation from me.

Cheers,

Stephen

I never used the KT120 in the LP70s. They hadn’t been made when I had that amp. I’m sure your LP70S sounds great with them and would sound completely different to the 6550 version I had. Mine had 6550 tubes and never really enjoyed them they were very white sounding and bleached out low level detail (that’s what I mean by atonal).

The KT120 is a better tube to my ears and I am sure if the LP70s had come with them when I had it, I would still own that amp.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:31 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
I never used the KT120 in the LP70s. They hadn’t been made when I had that amp. I’m sure your LP70S sounds great with them and would sound completely different to the 6550 version I had. Mine had 6550 tubes and never really enjoyed them they were very white sounding and bleached out low level detail (that’s what I mean by atonal).

The KT120 is a better tube to my ears and I am sure if the LP70s had come with them when I had it, I would still own that amp.
Agree that the KT-120 really works well with this amp. When I contacted C-J about whether it would be okay to use this power amp with the amp, they gave me an enthusiastic YES.

The Ediswan 6992s for the input stage also do very nice things for this amp.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 AM

Thanks a lot Stephen!
Quote:
Hi Jerome,

So, a strong and solid recommendation from me. [emoji106]

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 11-25-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thanks. I'll add that my Luxman SQ-N10 and Manley Mahi mono-block tube amps could not push this particular set of speakers, either. Nor did my 60wpc or 90wpc SS amps. My current SS amp with 145wpc sounds great with them.

My particular Classic 60SE was configured in triode for EL34 and made 35wpc. CJ will reconfigure their amps to pentode and/or KT88/6550 for a nominal fee. If vocals are your thing (I'm an opera fan), the EL34s in triode are about as good as it gets. For 'bigger' music (orchestral, rock, etc.) you may prefer pentode and the larger tubes.
I've had a Classic 60 for seven years and in the last year had updated all tubes to NOS or vintage. It is a major improvement. I was considering having CJ upgrade the caps only as it is a great amp with nos EL34's. I was unaware CJ offered rewiring to triode - this may be right for me. Did you have a chance to listen to the Classic 60 before rewire? If so how does it compare? Thanks