AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet Farmer View Post
"Do you have room to do the 20.7's justice?"

I would mention my listening space is 11' 8" wide on the end I have my 20.7 speakers on. The room is longer than yours, but I am seated only nine feet from the speakers, which the inner edges are about 42 inches from the wall (toe in so the outer edge is 58 1/2 inches from back wall)
Anyway I am seated about nine feet from the speakers.
My room extends back further, but not evenly. One side is a hall to front door of apartment. middle a 3' wide area sticking into area which are two closets, the other side is again going further back but is part of the kitchen area.
Anyway I have always pushed a small area with BIG SPEAKERS my whole life. No problems. Though figuring out how to avoid bass reflections doubling up gets a little harder in small spaces.
I would never hesitate to buy the speakers I want regardless of size. And would say large rooms present just as many challenges as small ones.
believe what you want but no way is a 14x16 room going to do 20.7's justice....no way !
Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
believe what you want but no way is a 14x16 room going to do 20.7's justice....no way !
Yep................ The only reason I don't own 3.7's or even 1.7's. Just won't work in my room.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM

So I have mine in a 17x30 room. Very nice size and flexible. Saying that - I’m a firm believer of getting the best speaker you can.

Basically you could run tweeters in - run close to sidewalls which will enhance bass - and have 7.5’ max between the speakers. You will want them 5’ at least off the front wall - so you will definitely be up close. It will be tight - probably not optimal ... but I’d do it!! Your amp will be fine in these closer quarters and you certainly won’t syffer for dynamics given the near field you will have.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 PM

My listening area is 11' 8" wide. The Magnepan 20.7 speakers closest edge to side wall is 18". Angled in, with tweeter in, the closest edge of tweeter side is 42" from rear wall, the woofer side is 58.5" from rear wall, so the empty space is about 56.5" between the speakers. This arrangement was carefully arrived at to allow the best imaging, least reflective problems.
I would say other folks 'never tried out' theories are not a match for actual doing
I sit about 9ft from the tweeters And per Magnepan, the woofers are slightly behind the distance to the tweeters..
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 AM

Go on audioasylum in the planar forum and search on Limage.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:25 PM

The rated efficiency of the two speakers is very similar. I have had 3.7s for 5 years and I just went to 20.7s. My amps are Bryston 28BSST2s. I of course experience more low end, but in terms of overall volume, it's set the same typically as what I used to have.....Your room is way too small for 20.7s, or even 3.7s for that matter. Surely you jest!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Magnepan 3.7 | Bryston 7BSST2 Mono Amps | Convergent Audio Technologies SL1 Renaissance Preamp w/ Phono | Esoteric K-03 SACD Player | Merrill-Williams REAL101.2 Turntable |Ortofon TA210 Tonearm | Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge | Arche' Headshell | Hashimoto HM7 Step Up Transformer | Shunyata Hydra 6 | Cables all Grover Huffman ZX Series