AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
So Sonus cannot build on the foundation that Franco left them? Paolo welcomes input from those in scientific and artistic disciplines outside his own expertise. How those are allowed to affect the final sound, however, are in Paolo's hands.

If one wants Franco's latest thinking on his art, there is Ktema and Accordo. These are by all accounts great speakers.

BTW I don't think Franco would consider his speakers "clearly the result of one person’s skewed version of sonic reality." But I've been wrong before.
I feel that the current team of engineers are building on a "sound" foundation that Franco provided (sorry for the pun). The latest series of Amati speakers use technology trickled down from "The Sonus Faber"; but yet have not abandoned features from the Franco era that make SF great. I have to say after living with the incredibly beautiful Futuras for several months, I have absolutely no desire to make a change (notice I used the word change not upgrade; as I am not sure there is a speaker at this price point that I consider an upgrade). These are by FAR the best looking and sounding speakers I have ever heard, and when I see the review comparing the Futuras to the Magico's I think to myself......meah . I just would never buy the Magico's over the Futuras, not in a million years.....but this is all my opinion

The Futuras now have a "life sentence" in this house!!!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer

Last edited by jfray; 04-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM

My thoughts are in line with Josh. Coming from Cremonas M, I think the Futuras still keep the SF signature, contrary to what some believe. I do not think SF is deviating from a path started in the past, it is just developing it even further.

For me futuras are a BIG keeper, life sentence as Josh puts. There is only one pair of speaker I have ever experienced that has kept my imagination thinking/wanting more, and that is the Aida! That one, it is on a completely different league!!

I liked the review subject of this thread and it does good justice to the Futuras.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiano View Post
There is only one pair of speaker I have ever experienced that has kept my imagination thinking/wanting more, and that is the Aida! That one, it is on a completely different league!!

I liked the review subject of this thread and it does good justice to the Futuras.
+1 on the Aida's and the review of the Futuras....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In the recent Sterophile review, March issue, in which the Amati's were featured on the cover, the treble measured significantly rolled off and this seemed to be confirmed in the listening review. Also the flagship Sonus Faber seemed to have a rolled off treble in the October major (many pages) tas review by RH. The Amanti's are rated to 36,000 Hz. Any comments?
Having auditioned the Futura and Q3, I agree with the Stereophile and Fritz reviews of the Futura. The Futura is a very good speaker, but I agree that it leans toward the "mellow" or "warm" end of the sonic spectrum, which can be very appealing to some listeners. I can't speak to the Futura measurements, but I've heard lots of speakers and the Futuras definitely excel in the bottom end but, to my ears, fall a little short in the top end. Dynaudio, which I own, seems to be the opposite.

Conversely, I believe the Q3s are very "accurate" and "neutral", which can also be appealing for some. To each his own, really. And for me, the Strads are still the best SF speakers I've heard, including the Fenice/SF. But I haven't heard the Aida yet.

Last edited by VT Skier; 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post

Conversely, I believe the .. are very "accurate" and "neutral",
Again my point exactly. Accurate or neutral is not what Fritz is describing. It's just a different form of color, and in most cases one that doesn't do anything more than tickle audiophilia nervosa. Certainly your own assessment of accurate speakers amplifies this.

I spent time in Montreal with some digital master copies done a few weeks earlier by a highly regarded recording engineer and friend. We listened in two different rooms, one with the latest in vogue accurate loudspeaker and another with a highly regarded high end speaker (not an Sf model). The accurate speaker, in the envelope in which it worked, had perfectly formed transients and was not lean. But it was harmonically devoid of most natural decay information. It was almost as if the sounding board was removed from the piano. When the piece called for power in the left hand, all there was was detailed hammer strikes. We were continually struck by details of the information that was there.

Then we went and listened to the second system. Two notes in, you knew more about the piano and the hall than the first speaker showed in the entire piece. When the left hand was called for, it was powerful and well integrated. Was there as much detail in the hammer strikes? No. Was the hammer strike better integrated as a part of the whole note? Absolutely. Harmonic character was consistent and properly balanced with the fundamentals. I have heard many of this engineer's recordings over the years and am intimately familiar with what he gets. The second system played something that sounded like what he typically captures in the hall. The first bore no resemblance to any recording I have ever heard of his. Sorry but that's not accurate or neutral. YMMV.

Funny thing is that the entire second system playing, while not inexpensive, still cost about the same amount as the accurate speakers alone. The accurate speakers however were driven by well north of $100k of gear. Go figure.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimetr View Post
"Paolo Tezzon was quick to give me a rundown of the company’s design team, including a number of engineers from various technical disciplines. Far removed from the one-man show that Sonus might have been many years ago."

"They didn’t scream “voiced,” in the sense of obvious colorations coming to the fore that were clearly the result of one person’s skewed version of sonic reality."
Milimetr.......Every individual's opinions are skewed. Some willingly collaborate, other choose to hold all the cards. What's new?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM

The Futura's are a mysterious speaker. They have a tilted down balance, but their treble is full of air and detail. Curiously, if you look at the shape of their FR graph above 1 KHz you will find some similarity with the old Quad ESL63 electrostatic, that many people still consider a model of accuracy and exemplar tonal balance.

I am temporally hosting a pair of them, and connected to my all ARC setup they are magnificent. They are free from speaker coloration, and have a very believable soundstage. Like big panel speakers they manage to couple energy to your room, but depend a lot on the quality of the source. You have to use a very good source, otherwise they will sound bland and insipid, loosing their magic. In my system the ARC CD8 was mandatory.

A friend of mine, after listening to them, told me that they were the more enjoyable sound I ever had in my room. I would not go so far, but they are really great - and also look great in graphite finish!