Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Tools, Storage, and Power

Tools, Storage, and Power Getting the Job Done Right

Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Default Honda lawnmovers

Are the Nexite decks worth the extra dough. You also get the more powerful
190CC engine. Cheers -Don
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I've had Honda mowers with both decks (aluminum & plastic), the plastic is lighter than the aluminum or steel decks and cleans-up easier. If your property is very rough or full of rocks I recommend aluminum or steel. When you turn or pivot the plastic mower it is essential to depress the handle, to raise the front wheels slightly to avoid stressing the wheel mounts. If you don't do this the deck will eventually break at the wheel mounts.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:13 AM
Learning to Listen

Honda = yes

Plastic deck = no

Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Wow- I am replacing a 12 year old John Deere mower. It was great, very well made. They just don't make them any more. I am getting the general impression it will be hard to get the quality I paid $600 for in the Deere 13 years ago. Maybe I will fix it! I am also going to look at Husqvarna. They have a 190CC Honda engine in their $500 mower, where you have to spend $600 for that engine w/ Honda.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Music Lover

My Honda is the best lawn mower I've ever had. It's a 21" bagger/mulcher. I bought it at HD. 10 years old and it still starts on the first couple of pulls. It still looks pretty decent too. I'm not sure what the nexite is you mention. I have the gray metal one.

Mike - San Francisco Bay Area
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM

I am very happy with my rear-drive Troy-Bilt. That is another brand to consider. Mine is only about two years old but it still starts with two easy pulls. I think they are still made in the USA. You can get a Honda engine on some of their models. Mine has a Briggs & Stratton.

My old mower lasted 25 years with a B&S engine. When the mower failed it was the starter rope rewind mechanism. The engine still worked fine. But it was not worth fixing the starter rope due to the overall age and "floppy" wheels. The mower also needed a new air filter and blade. All the parts added up to -- dude, get a new mower. I was ready for self-propelled anyway because now I was 25 years older as well.

Bottom line, is I have never been disappointed with a B&S engine. I am not sure a Honda is worth the premium. At least it isn't to me. My dad purchased a power washer with a Honda engine and I cannot get it started. It is like new but won't run.

Last edited by dizzie; 08-25-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
My Honda is the best lawn mower I've ever had. It's a 21" bagger/mulcher. I bought it at HD. 10 years old and it still starts on the first couple of pulls. It still looks pretty decent too. I'm not sure what the nexite is you mention. I have the gray metal one.

Mike - San Francisco Bay Area
My Honda, which is probably the same model, has been totally abused, but keeps coming back for more. I recommend a Honda mower without reservation. As to a plastic deck, no experience and probably would stay clear, but only because of ignorance.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM

I looked at what the pro lawn services used for lawn care in my area, seems to be dominated by Honda or Toro non-riding mowers and Stihl blowers and trimmers. I bought a Honda. The Honda is probably overkill for grass but in the fall it's perfect for mulching leaves.

Steve

Last edited by SHV; 08-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks- Picked up the Honda (steel deck) HRR series with blade-stop function. I thought it would be worth the extra $100, especially when bagging.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Wow- I am replacing a 12 year old John Deere mower. It was great, very well made. They just don't make them any more. I am getting the general impression it will be hard to get the quality I paid $600 for in the Deere 13 years ago. Maybe I will fix it! I am also going to look at Husqvarna. They have a 190CC Honda engine in their $500 mower, where you have to spend $600 for that engine w/ Honda.
Was that Deere a JX75?