Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Wonderful description Tim.
Thank you for that.
I'll surely give it a second listen soon.

I found 2 other Mahler 1's conducted by Kubelik, have you heard them?

Nice to hear from you Bart,

Thank you.
I have heard neither of the performances shown in your message.

I believe those shown are CD issuances.
For folks playing along at home, we take a dip into the archives:

1) the Decca Eloquence label of Kubelik with the Vienna Philharmonic at the Musikveriensaal was recorded in '54/'55. This was Kubelik's first recording on Mahler's 1st. Purportedly the photo is from much later, likely when K was around 70. I wonder if it was recorded in stereo? I don't have an identifying number, perhaps you would be so kind to see if there is one if you have the disc.

Your assignment if you choose to accept it is to find an LP copy of this recording on vinyl (not shellac) and I will be happy to listen to it. Sixty years ago people in Europe played so well that surely it holds interest today. :-)

2) the Urania is: RIT 55 200 released in 2005. I presume the recording was made earlier in as much as it self describes as: "Newly Rematered Using State-of-the-Art Restoration Techniques." I wonder if it was taking from a radio performance?

If you have heard either performance, please let us know what you hear!

Grazi
Timoteo
Old 12-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Nice to hear from you Bart,

Thank you.
I have heard neither of the performances shown in your message.

I believe those shown are CD issuances.
For folks playing along at home, we take a dip into the archives:

1) the Decca Eloquence label of Kubelik with the Vienna Philharmonic at the Musikveriensaal was recorded in '54/'55. This was Kubelik's first recording on Mahler's 1st. Purportedly the photo is from much later, likely when K was around 70. I wonder if it was recorded in stereo? I don't have an identifying number, perhaps you would be so kind to see if there is one if you have the disc.

Your assignment if you choose to accept it is to find an LP copy of this recording on vinyl (not shellac) and I will be happy to listen to it. Sixty years ago people in Europe played so well that surely it holds interest today. :-)

2) the Urania is: RIT 55 200 released in 2005. I presume the recording was made earlier in as much as it self describes as: "Newly Rematered Using State-of-the-Art Restoration Techniques." I wonder if it was taking from a radio performance?

If you have heard either performance, please let us know what you hear!

Grazi
Timoteo

Buongiorno Timotei,

That's our homework for this week?!

I'll start with listening to the three performances and compare them.

Felice anno nuovo!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Channel Classics released a performance of Mahler's Symphony no. 7 conducted by Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra.

New recorded Mahler is not falling out of trees, so this is much welcomed and presumed to be up to CC's level of quality.

This one is for my digitalistas as it is/will be available on SACD(!), FLAC, DSD and yes, MP3. I'm counting on you to give us a report.

Learn more here.

edit: At that link you may download a nice little PDF file about Fischer, the BFO and the recording - English, auf Deutsch et en Français.

Last edited by tima; 02-02-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: as above
Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Channel Classics released a performance of Mahler's Symphony no. 7 conducted by Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra.

New recorded Mahler is not falling out of trees, so this is much welcomed and presumed to be up to CC's level of quality.

This one is for my digitalistas as it is/will be available on SACD(!), FLAC, DSD and yes, MP3. I'm counting on you to give us a report.

Learn more here.

edit: At that link you may download a nice little PDF file about Fischer, the BFO and the recording - English, auf Deutsch et en Français.
You can order the SACD as of yesterday from Channel Classics direct as well and they are shipping already before they provide it to others distribution channels!

BTW....BIS SACD #2296, Mahler #2, Vanska and Minnesota was also made available yesterday. You can order and have shipped direct from the Presto Classical website!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
You can order the SACD as of yesterday from Channel Classics direct as well and they are shipping already before they provide it to others distribution channels!
Referring to the Fischer M7.

Quote:
BTW....BIS SACD #2296, Mahler #2, Vanska and Minnesota was also made available yesterday. You can order and have shipped direct from the Presto Classical website!
Plus the currently ongoing series from François-Xavier Roth on HarmoniaMundi.

Quote:
New recorded Mahler is not falling out of trees....
Really?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Really?
Kal,

I am referring to the Fischer+Budapest Mahler 7 as well. I was able to order the SACD and received an email update last night that it had been shipped! The Channel Classics email newsletter arrived 2 days ago and stated they had made the various digital formats available but would also be making the SACD available only on their site.

I like Vanska+Minnesota's Mahler 5 and 6 and the teaser video for #2 seems to imply this will be a definite keeper!

Thanks for letting us know about the new Roth+Koln Mahler; I missed that one and will check it out!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Really?
Well, not the trees at my house. :-) Tell us about the Roth series.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well, not the trees at my house. :-) Tell us about the Roth series.
As a generalization from memory as opposed to direct comparisons, it is a little light in weight but it is fleet and much more consistently interesting than the Vanska series, especially his #2.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Hello everyone,
I am a bit late to this thread. I found it through one of tima’s threads on What’s Best Forum.
A brief introduction: I have been collecting classical music on vinyl for about 60 years. I briefly ventured into CDs, but have returned to vinyl.
Mahler was one of my earliest favorites. I read the posts here and thought that there might be a few comments that I could make that I did not see already posted.

One of the things I do first when purchasing classical vinyl is to read some of my favorite review sites/books/lists:
The “TAS Super LP List” in The Absolute Sound Magazine
The Golden Era of RCA Records by James A. Mitchell
The RCA Bible by Jonathan Valin
A Full Deck of Living Stereos by Sid Marks [RCA]
YouTube
https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/m...reo-recordings
http://milestomozart.blogspot.com/
http://lee.classite.com/music/music.htm
http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/discography/decca.html [Decca]
Discographies of my favorite composers, musicians, record labels
Audiophile Record Collector’s Handbook by Phil Rees
http://allofbach.com/en/ [not for records but for wonderful performances of JS Bach]

And to a lesser extent:
Arthur Salvatore’s web site http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html
The Penguin Stereo Record Guide

Back to Mahler:
Here is a list of Mahler LPs from the TAS listings:
Mahler: Ninth Symphony/Barbirolli, Berlin Phil. ERC/EMI ASD 596/597 [EMI SLS 851]

Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde/Bernstein, Fischer-Dieskau, King. London OS 26005

Mahler. Das Lied von der Erde/Klemperer, Wunderlich, Ludwig, New Philharmonia. HMV SAN 179

Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn/ Schwarzkopf, Fischer-Dieskau, Szell, LSO. EMI ASD 1000981

Mahler: The Mahler Project/Tilson Thomas, San Francisco Symphony. SFS Media 0040

Mahler: Symphony No. 1/Walter CBS/Sony 20 AC 1830
Mahler: Symphony No. 1/Slatkin Telarc DG 10066

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 [Mehta, Vienna] Decca SXL 6744-5 [LONDON CSA 2242]

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 Abravanel, Utah SO. Vanguard VCS 10003

Mahler: Symphony No. 3/Mehta London CSA 2249
Mahler: Symphony No. 3/Mehta. Decca/Analogue Productions AAPC 117
Mahler: Symphony No. 3/Mehta. Decca/Super Analogue KIJC 9014-5

Mahler: Symphony No. 4/Klemperer. EMI ASD 2799

Mahler: Symphony No. 5/Barbirolli, Baker, New Philharmonia. EMI SLS 785

With only a couple of exceptions, I think that these are all wonderful.

Something that I was surprised to not see on this thread was Mahler recordings by Maurice Abravanel on Vanguard/Cardinal. His recording of the second symphony is in the TAS list; I listened to it again last night; it is wonderful. These recordings are as open and three-dimensional as they come; something that is difficult with large orchestras. I recommend the Abravanel Mahler recordings with the Utah Symphony Orchestra.
Best,
Don
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Default Mahler - what are your favorites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcars View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a bit late to this thread. I found it through one of tima’s threads on What’s Best Forum.

A brief introduction: I have been collecting classical music on vinyl for about 60 years. I briefly ventured into CDs, but have returned to vinyl.

Mahler was one of my earliest favorites. I read the posts here and thought that there might be a few comments that I could make that I did not see already posted.

Hi Don, better late than never - welcome to AA! Thanks for your very informative post, I hope you’ll also consider joining us in the classical thread here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=3756
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2