AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-05-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Torus AVR 20 vs. PS Audio P10 or 15 vs. Niagara

I thought I'd ask this question. Which one is better?

I'm getting tired of the Panamax that I have since it doesn't perform true voltage regulation, despite their marketing lies. I'm also sure its choking my amp for power as well.

I am very impressed with the size of the transformer in the Torus unit, and for the money I'm thinking it offers the best overall value for what I expect out of it. It's just that I always figured I'd own one of the PS Audio units. That is until the recent price hikes. Yikes! That was a bit over the top in my opinion.

I've also read some of the members here talking up the Niagara, but I don't believe that unit offers voltage regulation which is very important to me because our voltage here constantly runs up to 126 or 127 volts.

I certainly would welcome opinions here on this topic. Thanks!
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

The PS Audio products are true regenerators and will afford the best regulation and cleanest power. Torus makes great products but may not offer as good voltage regulation. After reading their specs I suspect they have numerous taps on the output side of the isolation transformer which are selected to perform regulation.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Torus AVR 20 vs. PS Audio P10 or 15 vs. Niagara

Freddie,

I had a Niagara 7000 and it was a nice piece but it was a conditioner, not a regenerator.

I had paranoia and sold it for a PS Audio P10. In all honestly I liked seeing a steady flow of power coming out and reduced distortion.

I did have the amps plugged into this and realized it limited power to hungry amps on one party day where things were turned up above 75% - protective circuits kicked in.

The new P20 has increased its power from the P10 and some other benefits, and should make this issue a null point. I would take a serious look at what it has to offer and they may let you try one to see and hear for yourself.

One thing about PS is you don’t come across negative reviews on their equipment or service.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM

I think a lot will depend on your priorities and what problems you're trying to address: voltage regulation, dynamic/transient response, noise reduction, surge protection, affordability. I have a 20 amp dedicated line and a whole house surge protector. This was step 1, basic and inexpensive. Voltage variability is not a significant problem here. I chose a Niagra 5000 with Hurricane PCs. Good investment - tremendous increase in dynamics, decrease in noise (you don't realize how much until it's gone).
Old 12-06-2018, 11:10 AM

I own the torus AVR20 and it supplies clean power to my whole system. The difference it made was drastic. So much cleaner of a soundstage and imaging really improved. It was if someone removed a thick piece of plastic which was covering the speakers.

I don't have any experience with the PS Audio products but I looked at the Shunyata Denali as well as the AQ niagara and found the Torus to be quite a bit better.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 AM

doc, do you run everything through the AVR20? What power cables?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 PM

From my point of view, if the Torus isolates the power grid from your equipment, scrubs the AC line noise, provides better quality surge protection and keeps the voltage flowing at a constant 120V, then its done about all you can ask.

I get it that converting incoming AC into DC and then reconverting it to AC again in the "perfect wave form" has its adherents, and probably for good reason, but PS Audio has priced itself out of my wallet.

I suppose at some point a nicely priced used AVR 20 will become available and with a bit of luck, I will have the chance to pounce on it.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
From my point of view, if the Torus isolates the power grid from your equipment, scrubs the AC line noise, provides better quality surge protection and keeps the voltage flowing at a constant 120V, then its done about all you can ask.

I get it that converting incoming AC into DC and then reconverting it to AC again in the "perfect wave form" has its adherents, and probably for good reason, but PS Audio has priced itself out of my wallet.

I suppose at some point a nicely priced used AVR 20 will become available and with a bit of luck, I will have the chance to pounce on it.
Just for clarification the Torus does not quite provide a constant 120V output, rather it's rated to maintain an output voltage of 120VAC ± 5V (115V to 125V).
Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 PM

I have the Torus AVR 20 and have previously posted about it. Currently mine say 117v in and 119v out I believe that is because we have a cold snap in the area and I’m sure everyone is heating their houses. Usually it reads 120v.
The Torus is one of the best improvements I’ve done to my system. Overall more detail and less noise. I’ve used various other things but never a PS Audio regenerator. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:55 AM

Torus RM15 here, switched from a PS Audio P5.

No contest.