AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ken.......It says "server" in the component's name. Aurender Content Server.
Hi Dan,

I know this but his whole emphasis was on ripping and storage. From a marketing perspective this sort of component would add value to all their music servers. I guess time will tell.

Best,
Ken
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Dan,

I know this but his whole emphasis was on ripping and storage. From a marketing perspective this sort of component would add value to all their music servers. I guess time will tell.

Best,
Ken
Ken.......I edited my post above before I saw this one. You may be correct. This is the email I sent to Aurender tech support:

There is some discussion on AudioAficionado.org about the Aurender Content Server that was displayed at the Munich High-End Show 2017. This is the YouTube video of an interview with the Aurender Director Mr. Lee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4NEfSlb_I

I realize the Aurender Content Server is not yet available but it has some interest among our forum members. There seems to be some confusion about whether the Aurender Content Server is a standalone music server that includes built in ripper, or if the ACS is a music file repository with a built in ripper that only serves as a central music file storage for other network attached Aurender music servers. In the interview with Mr. Lee I heard him say the ACS was controlled with the Aurender Conductor app on an iPad and there would be an additional app that would allow editing of meta data to correct any downloaded errors. Please help me understand the function and purpose of the Aurender Content Server and how it will be used in a high-end audio system. As always, I appreciate your time.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Ken.......I edited my post above before I saw this one. You may be correct. This is the email I sent to Aurender tech support:

There is some discussion on AudioAficionado.org about the Aurender Content Server that was displayed at the Munich High-End Show 2017. This is the YouTube video of an interview with the Aurender Director Mr. Lee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4NEfSlb_I

I realize the Aurender Content Server is not yet available but it has some interest among our forum members. There seems to be some confusion about whether the Aurender Content Server is a standalone music server that includes built in ripper, or if the ACS is a music file repository with a built in ripper that only serves as a central music file storage for other network attached Aurender music servers. In the interview with Mr. Lee I heard him say the ACS was controlled with the Aurender Conductor app on an iPad and there would be an additional app that would allow editing of meta data to correct any downloaded errors. Please help me understand the function and purpose of the Aurender Content Server and how it will be used in a high-end audio system. As always, I appreciate your time.
Dan,

Can't wait to hear the response.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 07-23-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ken.......Here is what Jesse Locken from Aurender Support had to say about the new Aurender Content Server. I was mistaken. You and Doug are correct

Hi Dan,

There will be two models of ACS, one with a more powerful CPU and RAM, a larger chassis (N10 Size), and more storage capability (3.5” size HDD slots). The smaller unit will be half size (N100) and will accept 2.5” size HDDs.

Both units will have integrated CD ripping (including support for the Nimbie bulk ripper), and automatic tagging of the CD content metadata. There will be a separate App for editing the metadata on the server and managing content located on the ACS, as well as integrated download services like HD Tracks and others. Both units will also incorporate a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

The intent behind the ACS is for existing Aurender users to use it as a sort of “Aurender NAS” (though there is no redundancy like other NAS drives), or for a non-Aurender user to have a solution for ripping their CDs and storing their music content without needing to involve a computer. If a user already owns an Aurender and purchases an ACS, the content on the Aurender is able to be synched to the ACS over the network and the ACS will then become the main repository for the content, with the Aurender then acting as a “backup” of the ACS. It will also allow content expansion up to 10TB (smaller model) or 20TB (larger model).

The ACS will not have any playback capability and is only intended as a CD ripper, NAS, and download service manager.

Beyond this, I don’t have much more information as we are still finalizing hardware and software design.

Best Regards,

Jesse Locken
Technical Support

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-24-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Ken.......Here is what Jesse Locken from Aurender Support had to say about the new Aurender Content Server. I was mistaken. You and Doug are correct

Hi Dan,

There will be two models of ACS, one with a more powerful CPU and RAM, a larger chassis (N10 Size), and more storage capability (3.5” size HDD slots). The smaller unit will be half size (N100) and will accept 2.5” size HDDs.

Both units will have integrated CD ripping (including support for the Nimbie bulk ripper), and automatic tagging of the CD content metadata. There will be a separate App for editing the metadata on the server and managing content located on the ACS, as well as integrated download services like HD Tracks and others. Both units will also incorporate a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

The intent behind the ACS is for existing Aurender users to use it as a sort of “Aurender NAS” (though there is no redundancy like other NAS drives), or for a non-Aurender user to have a solution for ripping their CDs and storing their music content without needing to involve a computer. If a user already owns an Aurender and purchases an ACS, the content on the Aurender is able to be synched to the ACS over the network and the ACS will then become the main repository for the content, with the Aurender then acting as a “backup” of the ACS. It will also allow content expansion up to 10TB (smaller model) or 20TB (larger model).

The ACS will not have any playback capability and is only intended as a CD ripper, NAS, and download service manager.

Beyond this, I don’t have much more information as we are still finalizing hardware and software design.

Best Regards,

Jesse Locken
Technical Support
Dan,

Thanks so much checking into this question and posting Aurender's response. It looks like a very fine component that fills a longstanding void in their line as far as ripping and storing physical media is concerned.

Best,
Ken
Old 07-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ken.......It will be interesting to see what the price points are for these two models of the Aurender Content Server. The large ACS with up to 20TB of storage should appeal to Aurender owners with huge digital libraries. The internal uninterruptible power supply is a great feature as well, and so is the ability to download high-res files directly from HDTracks and others. The internal ripper will appeal to many users, too.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 AM

What type of connection is there between the N10 and ACS?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoting the Aurender folks:
"There will be a separate App for editing..." [regarding Metadata].
I was wondering about that. I have been ripping CDs for a long time and I have never seen a system that gives you perfect metadata all the time.
Automatic metadata works best with rock/pop recordings but once you get into classical recordings you must prepare yourself for serious metadata editing which will be best done using a computer!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
What type of connection is there between the N10 and ACS?
A network Ethernet connection. The ACS is used in place of a NAS, so it is logical.

Best,
Ken
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
A network Ethernet connection. The ACS is used in place of a NAS, so it is logical.

Best,
Ken
Yes and no.

NAS devices provide redundant storage to a network. We have adapted them for use in our digital systems, but in many ways they're not ideally suited to high end audio. And most NAS devices have multiple connectivity options (thunderbolt, USB, HDMI, etc.) for outputting data.

The ACS isn't a NAS - it's a CD transport/ripper with internal hard drives. It does not provide redundancy in its storage and apparently doesn't offer options for outputting beyond ethernet.

Of course, the ACS needs to be network enabled for the Conductor App to work, to receive metadata from the internet, and for accessing the data from your pc. But is that the best way to route digital data to the N10? I would think that AES/EBU or USB cable for example would be better. Isn't that how most CD transports and rippers connect up in other systems?

Last edited by The Sandman; 07-25-2017 at 12:05 PM.