AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Ha, you are alluding to the discussion regarding the new JBL processor, which will supposedly use the SP3 as it's new platform, but will add RC/EQ (yippee ...oh wait, it will likely cost $30k ).
Who knows with Harman. We'll see.

Quote:
As for new krell processor, assume you mean the Foundation, or are you hinting at an upgrade of the S-1200?
The former.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Who knows with Harman. We'll see.

The former.
Krell told a recent buyer of the S1200 ("new guy" on this forum) that the S1200 was still superior SQ-wise to the Foundation. Can't wait to read about the Foundation to see how it stacks up, but the S1200 still seems like a strong competitor in the 10k range. In addition to good SQ, the S1200 provides fairly robust manual EQ (although indecipherable to a layman like me) and a simple yet useful remote with on-the-fly quick adjustments for things like speaker levels (something I'm sorely missing with my new av8801, where Audyssey set my side surrounds too high, and certain recordings/movies are just too hot in the surrounds).

Would be very curious to hear comparison of S1200 vs SP3, but doubt that will happen, as the S1200 just doesnt have the distribution of the SP3, Classe SSP800, Mac MX150. I would have jumped on the SP3 and called it a day if it had any EQ ability, even just defeatable tone controls (Harmon/JBL version will be priced way out of my range ). SP3 is still tempting though, given all the great reviews, and given I'm not overly thrilled with the SQ of the AV8801 as an analog preamp or for mch music (superb for movies though).
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
would have jumped on the SP3 and called it a day if it had any EQ ability, even just defeatable tone controls (Harmon/JBL version will be priced way out of my range ).
What about Anthem D2v?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
What about Anthem D2v?
Lots of hdmi handshake problems and apparently not in same league as Bryston, Classe or Krell for 2 ch analog or mch SQ (again, solely based on significant web research on various forums). Preamp SQ for music is paramount if I go that high in price, as it will have to be an all-in-one solution. Right now, leaning toward keeping the relatively inexpensive av8801 and adding a good preamp with HT Bypass like the Classe CP800.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi,

The USB is 16 bit / 48K but it is modular. We are working on a new USB module that will allow for 192/24 but that is a few months off.

james
Hi James,
Did this ever get done? I tried the USB input on my recently delivered unit and had a number of issues using my Mac and Amarra software. USB input display says "PCM" in. I can't get my Mac to enable any options above 16bit / 48K. When I play 44K files, Amarra will process the music, but for my hi res music it kicks it back to iTunes. Missing something in the set up or do I need to hook up my Arye QB9 again and send analog stereo to the SP3?

Last edited by BigHat; 02-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Lots of hdmi handshake problems and apparently not in same league as Bryston, Classe or Krell for 2 ch analog or mch SQ (again, solely based on significant web research on various forums). Preamp SQ for music is paramount if I go that high in price, as it will have to be an all-in-one solution. Right now, leaning toward keeping the relatively inexpensive av8801 and adding a good preamp with HT Bypass like the Classe CP800.
Been through Denon, Arcam, Parasounf Halo before the SP3, which is in a different league altogether. I have no use for fancy room EQ, though I really haven't tried it, with one caveat. I just like keeping it simple.

Caveat-- I have a DSpeaker Anti-mode which does help the bass from about 80 Hz on down. Other than that no EQ.

All of which is to say I consider the lack thereof to be an asset, not a deficit. Bryston chose SQ over features, and that's one reason I went with the SP3.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Hi James,
Did this ever get done? I tried the USB input on my recently delivered unit and had a number of issues using my Mac and Amarra software. USB input display says "PCM" in. I can't get my Mac to enable any options above 16bit / 48K. When I play 44K files, Amarra will process the music, but for my hi res music it kicks it back to iTunes. Missing something in the set up or do I need to hook up my Arye QB9 again and send analog stereo to the SP3?
I've also been wondering what the problem is. A USB card shouldn't be such a problem. Possibly, it's been sent to the back burner as they've been working on those several newer products.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
I've also been wondering what the problem is. A USB card shouldn't be such a problem. Possibly, it's been sent to the back burner as they've been working on those several newer products.
Yes the circuit is done as we are using it in the new BDA-2 DAC but have not had time to lay it out on a separate circuit board and test it with the SP-3.

james
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM

"Possibly, it's been sent to the back burner as they've been working on those several newer products. "
That would be my guess. I was thinking a few days ago that a company with ~60 employees has "rolled out" over the past few months the BHA-1, DBA-2, BDP-2, and multiple combinations of passive and active speakers, in addition to rather rapid improvement of software. IMO, the speakers are a pretty ballsie move in uncertain times. So far, however, James et. al. seem to have the golden touch for moving Bryston out of it's previous comfort zones.

Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post

Yes the circuit is done as we are using it in the new BDA-2 DAC but have not had time to lay it out on a separate circuit board and test it with the SP-3.

james
That makes sense, even though it's somewhat frustrating. David Chesky will be coming over to me at some point, and it would be nice to have 24/192 from my MacBook Pro out to the USB by then.

I'm also wondering that as the digital board is separate from the analog section, from what I know, would there ever be the possibility of offering an upgrade to my SP3 to the newer DAC circuits of the new DA? That would be great.

Another question regards subs. We can utilize a second output for the subs, and so get two, but they are still a combined mono—not so great. I can't use the crossovers in the SP3 because of that, and have to do an external crossover, which I'd like to eliminate. As the sub signals must be derived from the stereo bass in the first place, isn't there some way to have a firmware upgrade that would allow separate channels for the bass? From my own days recording with the Boston Sym. And London, I found that bass does have a pronounced improvement when subs are derived directly from their proper channels rather than being combined, with what that does to the phase relationships, peaks and valleys of the output, etc. it's easily discernible in my room of 15.5' x 33 '.