AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM

So I found a home for my Bel Canto Amps to a local buyer.

The buyer was an older gentleman who had mentioned he's had the audio fever for about 30 some odd years. Turns out he also makes parts for Synergistic Research.

I introduced him to the Shindo gear and we talked a bit about it. He had heard of it but had never actually heard them in action. After a bit of library searching I decided to stream Melody Gardot's "My One and Only Thrill" through my stock Transporter...great album by the way. I gave my friend the hot seat and we sat and listened. It wasn't more than about 10 minutes when he turned to me and said (paraphrasing) "I've been at this a long time, and my main speakers probably cost more than your whole system but this is truly the best sound I've ever heard. I'm going to have to look into this Shindo stuff."

He was shocked that I was using the Transporter as my source/DAC and intrigued by its convenience for music organization and playback. He said it sounded as good as, if not better than, his expensive digital front end separates. Of course much of that has to do with the downstream components but still pleasant to hear nonetheless.

We finished out the album while intermittently sharing stories of our music and gear likes/dislikes. We were virtually carbon copies of each other when it came to our experiences and opinions of gear we once had in common (which was most of it) even though our ages and time in this hobby spanned quite a vast difference. Anyway, I'm sure we'll be keeping in touch.

Every audiophile is plagued by the hunt. It's what makes this hobby fun and agonizing at the same time. With every purchase one is left wondering did I make the right choice "this time"? Having a complete stranger whose taste in music/sound is similar to mine come over and say what he did quelled any last inklings of uncertainty I may have had about the direction I chose. I know I've been waxing poetic about this and many are probably thinking "ok we get it, you like it!" but this is the real kool aid and it's not just my conscious coping with purchase justification.

To top it all off, my wife actually told me last night "At least they look cool" about the Monbrison/Montille combo. She likes the vintage look which is kind of our style anyway (midcentury modern tastes). It's too bad she absolutely hates the speakers!!

I forsee a long and healthy dose of Shindo in my future and I may have just spread the "green disease" to another member of the public

Last edited by adhesiv; 08-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Chief Toneologist

Jayson,

Congratulations for finding a buyer for your Bel Canto. It sounds like it went to someone with a lot of taste who might develop the greenfection.

Alberto
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jayson.......Passing the torch is one of the exciting parts of this great hobby. Igniting a new flame is cool.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A