AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM

Default Klipschorns with Shindo?

It seems that Shindo owners tend to draw from a short-list of efficient speakers including: Devore Oranutang, Audio Note, Shindo ($$$), and sometimes smaller Klipsch or vintage speakers (Altec)...

What do you guys think about pairing the Shindo Corton-Charlemagne EL34 monural power amplifiers with something like the 2013 Klipschorns for $9k.

Yes they are quite large but they are freakishly efficient and can be nested in the corners rather that having to be placed 4 feet out into the listening room. Great place for indoor plants, right?!

Thanks for your thoughts on this pairing.

Last edited by junker; 08-09-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:38 AM

You can get Tannoy 15" Reds for that kind of money.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM

I had a pair of LaScala II's paired with my Shindo for 3 yrs. They were a really great match. For my taste the LaScalas needed subs and I used a pair of Velodyne DD10 plus. This created an issue with a hum through the subs when I used the MC input on my pre-amp. I couldn't reslove it so I am going without subs and am anxiously awaiting a new pair of O/96s.
I think the Klipschorn and Shindo pairing would be great if you are a fan of the
Klipsch heritage sound. I had always wanted a pair of Klipsch when I was young and broke and I realized my dream. For me the sound was getting to be harsh and a bit fatiguing.
FYI, the LaScalas worked well in the corners but were better a bit into the room
but still not intrusive.
Have you heard Klipschorns?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrest View Post
You can get Tannoy 15" Reds for that kind of money.
So ? What does that have to do with K-Horns?

I personally think Klipschorns would be very, very good with Shindo gear.

I once drove K-Horns with a pair of McIntosh MC-75's and a C-22 and it was "almost heaven" Shindo should take you all the way there!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM

The first person I ever met that was into "hi-fi" had a pair and I remember that they looked huge, and as if they were being stored away in the corners of the room. And I honestly can't tell you for the life of me what they sounded like.

Since they are basically build-to-order and I'm pretty sure there is no showroom in the world that has them for a demo these days so it is doubtful that I would ever be able to hear this pairing myself. I'm just surprised at how "typical" and limited the speaker pairings seem to be with Shindo. It reads from a very limited playbook without having the most iconic, high-efficiency speaker ever made. Is it that they look too "old-fashion" to be used with the low-power tubes amps?

If they could potentially sound great I'd definitely consider them with low-power tube amps for the following reasons:

1) dynamics - insanely high efficiency
2) design - awesome mid-century modern
3) bass - can get can down in to the low 30s
4) realistic soundstage height
5) space efficient - yes they are huge but so are Wilson, Magnepan, Magicos, and SF Aida's. At least these can be nestled into the corners...

So, for me the question really would be that of tone, texture, and ultimately the over all sound quality. But I would really love to hear these with Shindo for myself...

Last edited by junker; 08-09-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Klipschorn advertisement...in Japanese:

Last edited by junker; 08-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Chief Toneologist

Given the efficiency of the Khorns and the fact that those mid and treble horns can get quite "in your face", I would seriously consider a lower wattage single-ended Shindo, like the Cortese.

High-efficiency speakers with single-ended amplification is, to me, the epitome of "deliciousness".

Have you considered an SET amp?

Alberto
Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info Alberto!

First thing is to work with Matt from Pitch Perfect on a pre-amp. Once that is taken care of, then I want to start looking at amps and speaker pairings...

I was strongly considering the Corton-Charlemagne (EL34) because they look awesome, are mono, have 20 wpc, and run the EL34 which in my limited tube knowledge can sound great and slightly relaxed - music.

I originally hadn't considered single-ended, but you are right with the efficiency of this speaker one could potentially get by with very little power.The 300B's are much too expensive for me...mono would be awesome though... Maybe Cortese?

Last edited by junker; 08-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM

If you haven't yet, go over to the Klipsch forums on the Klipsch website. Great guys and you can probably find someone local for a demo. Also you will find that many, actual I would guess most, run their khorns with more than flea watt SET amps. I wouldn't, but many do.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Rebellious!

Am I too late for this party?

If you need an audition I'm located in Southeast Georgia. 45 min from Savannah.

Do it- See my signature

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado