AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Retired

Will keep you posted on next weekend. Have to pick up my new Klipsch speakers one of those days, so will shoot the other if the weather is conducive.

Can't believe I have not been up to Steamtown. Get to the RR museum in Strasburg and Scranton really isn't the much further. Will make a point of taking the grandkids up this summer.

Actually, we rode Alamosa to Chama and return. Spent the night in Chama. Rode behind a 4400hp SD70MAC between Alamosa and Antonito in an observation car to pick up the steam train. The track is so bad that our average speed was under 15mph behind the diesel. Antonito to Chama and back was considerably better.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Can't believe I have not been up to Steamtown. Get to the RR museum in Strasburg and Scranton really isn't the much further. Will make a point of taking the grandkids up this summer.
Let me know when you plan on going up, if I'm around I'll set you and the grandkids up with a tour of our facility (we operate the short line RR out of Scranton)

Quote:
Actually, we rode Alamosa to Chama and return. Spent the night in Chama.
Station Inn I trust !

Quote:
Rode behind a 4400hp SD70MAC between Alamosa and Antonito in an observation car to pick up the steam train. The track is so bad that our average speed was under 15mph behind the diesel.
That's one of Ed Ellis's railroads, back in the day it was 'dual gauge' between Alamosa and Antonito (DRGW), if you ever get back out there the ride from Alamosa over La Vita pass is superb !
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Worked up some one ounce loads for tomorrow @ Atglen, 20 grs of Hodgen 'clays', claybuster wads, 1 oz #8 shot, Rem Hulls. Should be around 1320-1350 fps.

Hoping to get back into the high 30's.....maybe even a 40 !!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Let me know when you plan on going up, if I'm around I'll set you and the grandkids up with a tour of our facility (we operate the short line RR out of Scranton)
Will do.

Quote:
Station Inn I trust!
Of course.

Quote:
That's one of Ed Ellis's railroads, back in the day it was 'dual gauge' between Alamosa and Antonito (DRGW), if you ever get back out there the ride from Alamosa over La Vita pass is superb!
For whatever reason, the steam train over La Vita was not running when we were there.

Did not realize Atglen had sporting clays. Probably up there in the next week or two to shoot some silhouettes. I'll have to check out the course.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-18-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Did not realize Atglen had sporting clays. Probably up there in the next week or two to shoot some silhouettes. I'll have to check out the course.
Atglen is one of the toughest courses in the area, we shoot on the 'odd' Sundays of the month. If it ever works with your schedule let me know.

Many years ago I shot rimfire silhouette (Anshutz) at Atglen, I've been a member for 30 plus years, the 500 meter range has helped me develop alot of 'pet' varmint loads over the years !
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Retired

!st Sat is 200m rimfire silhouette (any rifle, any sights, sticks @ 100m & longer) and 2nd Sat is 200m BPCR (all offhand) at Quinton Sportsman. 3rd Sat is Shippensburg 500m NRA silhouette. First 5th Sat that I'm not commited is 29 Sept. I'll mark it on my match calendar and give you a shout earlier in the month. My shotgun skills should be totally rusted by then.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM

OMG what a disaster @ Atglen today......I couldn't even manage a 'thirty' !! Arguably one of the toughest setups their yet, regardless, I couldn't keep my head in the gun, couldn't lead correctly, you name...yuck ! My only consolation was two Master Class shooters one of which was a former Pa state champ could only shoot a high of forty !
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Retired

Must be something in air. Really nice weather, but all four of us dropped our scores today at Cedar Creek. Thought we were going to have to get the EPA out to fumigate we smelled up the place so bad. We did shoot on the red course for half, so some bit of mitigating excuse. Six or eight shots at 40yd+, we are thinking. High was a high 40, the next two (including me) where in the high 30s, but our low guy just barely got into double digits. He has some how let it get into his head. He is probably stuck until he gets his head straight. Last match this year is next Sunday at Red Wing at 10 a.m. should you and anyone else wish to join in the fun.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Somewhat of a 'recovery' @ Oxford Gun Club today..........managed a 39 on a much easier presentation than last week at Atglen, went back to my pet load, 1 1/8 oz #8 over 19.4 grs of Hodgon 'clays'
Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Retired

Very good. Must be the weather, as we also had a good day out at Red Wing in Port Republic, NJ. Managed a 38 coming in, which is a new high for me. Shooting 7/8oz of #8 in my 20ga. Only 25 breaks going out. I did some choke swapping and have to get a couple more Briley external chokes. The IM really helped with a couple of the far birds that were going away. Got 5/6 a couple of times on similar flights. Futzing with a choke wench is a PITA. Really like the layout and presentations at Red Wing, but don't care for the way they run the traps. More then half the stations have only one trap and have to shoot it six (6) times in a row with report doubles. Even going around twice would be better, in order to break it up. And one rabbit was really lame. You could let it roll to just before it stopped if you were patient. We move the 'break-point' about 15yd to the right in order to make it something of a challenge. Likely only shoot there once a season as a result. We are heading back to M&M the week of the 12th, unless we can find another venue that is in south Jersey. All-in-all, a great day in the sun.