AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT

Take the old stuff to Best Buy. They will recycle it. Now upgrade to Whole Home. Great little feature from Direct TV.
The upgrade did also include the Whole Home. I'm not to sure if I need it since all rooms have a DVR & I don't usually start watching a show in one room and then go to another and finish. It could happen though.

Regarding the old receivers- I threw them on Craigslist and I immediately thought, I better double check with Directv before I sell these. I was still in disbelief that I was told to throw them away. I didn't want to get a bill for the non-returned equipment. This person at Directv said he's not really sure if I'm suppose to toss them or return them but to be safe he's sending me the prepaid return boxes and told me to ship them back to them. I'm sending those suckers back.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
The upgrade did also include the Whole Home. I'm not to sure if I need it since all rooms have a DVR & I don't usually start watching a show in one room and then go to another and finish. It could happen though.

Regarding the old receivers- I threw them on Craigslist and I immediately thought, I better double check with Directv before I sell these. I was still in disbelief that I was told to throw them away. I didn't want to get a bill for the non-returned equipment. This person at Directv said he's not really sure if I'm suppose to toss them or return them but to be safe he's sending me the prepaid return boxes and told me to ship them back to them. I'm sending those suckers back.
I did that years ago with my two HR10-250 TIVOs when I upgraded to the HR20 series. One I owned outright and was not a problem. The second one I had was leased, and the buyer called me later to say it wouldn't work because it registered as a leased unit and he couldn't activate it. I had to call DirecTV and have them changed it to a non-leased unit, which they did at the time.

But that doesn't mean that will work now. All of the HR2x series are leased units. If you sell one, it is possible the buyer might not be able to put it into service.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM

One interesting "fact" I learned after 14 years with DirecTv. Even if you purchase a unit at Best Buy, it is still a DirecTv leased unit. You are just paying Best Buy up front. I miss having the TiVo lifetime DVR service I paid for (pre-HDTV). One payment for life.

Jim
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
One interesting "fact" I learned after 14 years with DirecTv. Even if you purchase a unit at Best Buy, it is still a DirecTv leased unit. You are just paying Best Buy up front. I miss having the TiVo lifetime DVR service I paid for (pre-HDTV). One payment for life.

Jim
It's kind of like buying an iPhone. You are paying $200 for a $600 device. The $400 you don't pay is subsidized by the carrier and they expect to recover it over the life of your contract. It works the same way for a DirecTV unit. You pay $200 for it and make a 2 year commitment. If you renege on that commitment DirecTV will want to collect several hundred dollars for your device, just like AT&T or Verizon want $350 for that iPhone if you renege on the contract. The difference is DirecTV calls it a lease, but at the end of the 2 years they almost never want the device back.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post

Even though you have a DVR in every room lets say you're in the bedroom and you want to watch a movie that's only on your living room unit. That's when whole home comes in handy!!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Even though you have a DVR in every room lets say you're in the bedroom and you want to watch a movie that's only on your living room unit. That's when whole home comes in handy!!
+1

I have 2 TB externals on each of my 3 DVRs. With whole home I essentially have 6 TB of storage and can record 6 different programs simultaneously, if I want. The entire set of recordings is available from any of the three sets.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper

+1

I have 2 TB externals on each of my 3 DVRs. With whole home I essentially have 6 TB of storage and can record 6 different programs simultaneously, if I want. The entire set of recordings is available from any of the three sets.
Wish we could do that. FOXTEL have disabled external eSATA pairing. but larger drives are now supported internally. 6 simultaneous records. Wow, does that require a 4 port LNB from your dish to your multi-switch? I have wired that way but alas we are behind with the feature set enablement....

Just imagine how many series of "The Universe" & "Ancient Aliens" you can archive with your setup!

Last edited by MyPal; 06-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Wish we could do that. FOXTEL have disabled external eSATA pairing. but larger drives are now supported internally. 6 simultaneous records. Wow, does that require a 4 port LNB from your dish to your multi-switch? I have wired that way but alas we are behind with the feature set enablement....

Just imagine how many series of "The Universe" & "Ancient Aliens" you can archive with your setup!
I actually like The Universe. I even have the BRDs.

Just to be clear, I can recorded two shows on each DVR, but since I have whole home I each DVR can have separate recorded programs, but they act together as one virtual DVR, so when I say 6 simultaneous recordings, I really mean 3 DVRs x 2.

My setup uses a SWM 8 (single wire multi-switch).
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper

...I actually like The Universe. I even have the BRDs....
Me too...Me too. . They should bring back Amy Mainzer, NASA JPL (WISE Deputy Project Scientist). There's something cute about her...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Me too...Me too. . They should bring back Amy Mainzer, NASA JPL (WISE Deputy Project Scientist). There's something cute about her...

Oh, it's bug-eye lady. She's one of our favorites, along with fat experiment guy from Known Universe.