Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 PM

Great little label indeed.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 PM

+1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Just downloaded the Paul Berner Band, "This bird has flown". Went for the premium 352.8 DXD which was the original recording format. Incredible. What a sonic treat.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:13 PM

+1!
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:21 PM

I don’t think I’ve chimed in much on this thread although I watch it closely and have profited from the many outstanding contributions of others. So now it’s my turn to contribute. I don’t recall exactly where I saw this (before I bought this), but this is from another really small super high quality label called. Nordic Dynamic. If you read their website. They are all about dynamic range (the anti-loudness wars). And this recording has mega-dynamic range. Give it a try and share your thoughts:

[ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (87.0 KB, 128 views)
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
I don’t think I’ve chimed in much on this thread although I watch it closely and have profited from the many outstanding contributions of others. So now it’s my turn to contribute. I don’t recall exactly where I saw this (before I bought this), but this is from another really small super high quality label called. Nordic Dynamic. If you read their website. They are all about dynamic range (the anti-loudness wars). And this recording has mega-dynamic range. Give it a try and share your thoughts:
Rob - Found it on Tidal and it sounds great, thanks for sharing it with us!

Last edited by audio bill; 08-13-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Rob - Found it on Tidal and it sounds great, thanks for sharing it with us!

Listening now via tidal. Very nicely recorded and well done.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post

[ATTACH]
I stumbled across this album somewhere on the internet about a year ago while traveling and lost it. I remember being a bit sad that I couldn't find any CDs on the cheap and didn't want to pay $15+ on Amazon. I might have to shell out the money this time around. I tend to like anything with a good upright bass.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4B³, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 PM

This is a very good upright bass, well recorded.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Here are the top 10 discs in my collection. My criteria are excellent music and performance captured in a superb recording.

Handel: Messiah (Dublin version, 1742)
Dunedin Consort, John Butt

A Linn SACD. Magnificent music, playing, singing and recording. Check out track #12 on disc 2, How beautiful are the feet.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Wiener Philharmoniker, Carlo Maria Giulini

A redbook disc from Deutsche Grammophon recorded in 1988. I love this piece and this interpretation is perfect for this cathedral of symphonies. The dynamic range is huge and comfortably captured here. Watch out for those brass climaxes. Look for Japanese SHMCD remaster if you can (UCCG-4869).

Handel: Concerti grossi Op. 6 Nos. 1-12 HWV319-330
Avison Ensemble, Pavlo Beznosiuk (director)

Another Linn SACD (yes, they are good). I love this 3-disc set and keep coming back to it for sheer musical and audiophile pleasure.

Rameau: Pièces de Clavecin en concerts
Ensemble Baroque Nouveau

If you think chamber music is boring, check out this Reference Recording disc and you'll change your mind in a hurry. There are only four performers playing these pieces but they sound like a small orchestra. The sound of the harpsichord captured here is delicious.

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica'
Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall

In my opinion, the best recording of the best symphony. Listen to the intensity of the Marcia Funebre and you'll see what I mean. The fugue is amazing and the trumpet thereafter sounds like a call for final judgement. This Auvidis Fontalis redbook recording from 1997 is the best I've heard an orchestra in my listening room. This is probably my #1 disc overall.

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20
Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit

Every time I play the finale of this ballet (Act IV By the Lake: No. 28. Scene: Allegro agitato, Act IV By the Lake: No. 29. Finale) I get goose bumps. The way the recording, made at the St. Eustache church in Montreal, captures the brass and the harp during the last few bars is breathtaking.

Bach, C P E:
Symphony in E minor, Wq. 178 (H653)
Oboe Concerto in E flat major, Wq. 165 (H468)
Keyboard Concerto in D minor, Wq. 17 (H420)
Symphony in D major, Wq. 183/1 (H663)
Barokkanerne, Alfredo Bernardini

This SACD from the Norwegian LAWO label is outstanding and the music on this disc is pure Baroque delight.

Bach, C P E:
Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Wq. 170 (H432)
Cello Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Wq. 171 (H436)
Cello Concerto No. 3 in A major, Wq. 172 (H439)
Hidemi Suzuki (cello)
Bach Collegium Japan

Another CPE Bach disc from another Scandinavian label, BIS. I've never heard a cello sound as good as it sounds here.

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Karl Böhm

This is an Esoteric SACD remaster of a 1959 DG recording. The Brahms C minor symphony is one of my favorite pieces of music. Böhm takes a perfect tempo and the playing is superb. It's hard to believe, but the 50+ year-old recording sounds immediate, transparent and lush. There must be something to the expensive Esoteric SACD remasters.

Heinichen: Dresden Concerti
Musica Antiqua Köln, Reinhard Goebel

Never heard of Heinichen? Neither had I, but when I purchased this 2-disc set in the early 1990s I was in for a very pleasant surprise. Your attention will be held from start to finish when you hear these baroque concerti expertly played by Musica Antiqua Köln and glowingly recorded by Archiv.

My second top 10 list (discs 11-20) will be posted here shortly.
I bought the Beethoven on SACD based on your post. It's also one of my favorite, if not my favorite, piece. But I've had a hard time finding a superb recording of a musically satisfying interpretation. This period recording is one of the best I've ever heard of a classical orchestra. Thank you and BRAVO, cma29 (I hope you see this).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Here are the top 10 discs in my collection. My criteria are excellent music and performance captured in a superb recording.

Handel: Messiah (Dublin version, 1742)
Dunedin Consort, John Butt

A Linn SACD. Magnificent music, playing, singing and recording. Check out track #12 on disc 2, How beautiful are the feet.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Wiener Philharmoniker, Carlo Maria Giulini

A redbook disc from Deutsche Grammophon recorded in 1988. I love this piece and this interpretation is perfect for this cathedral of symphonies. The dynamic range is huge and comfortably captured here. Watch out for those brass climaxes. Look for Japanese SHMCD remaster if you can (UCCG-4869).

Handel: Concerti grossi Op. 6 Nos. 1-12 HWV319-330
Avison Ensemble, Pavlo Beznosiuk (director)

Another Linn SACD (yes, they are good). I love this 3-disc set and keep coming back to it for sheer musical and audiophile pleasure.

Rameau: Pièces de Clavecin en concerts
Ensemble Baroque Nouveau

If you think chamber music is boring, check out this Reference Recording disc and you'll change your mind in a hurry. There are only four performers playing these pieces but they sound like a small orchestra. The sound of the harpsichord captured here is delicious.

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica'
Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall

In my opinion, the best recording of the best symphony. Listen to the intensity of the Marcia Funebre and you'll see what I mean. The fugue is amazing and the trumpet thereafter sounds like a call for final judgement. This Auvidis Fontalis redbook recording from 1997 is the best I've heard an orchestra in my listening room. This is probably my #1 disc overall.

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20
Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit

Every time I play the finale of this ballet (Act IV By the Lake: No. 28. Scene: Allegro agitato, Act IV By the Lake: No. 29. Finale) I get goose bumps. The way the recording, made at the St. Eustache church in Montreal, captures the brass and the harp during the last few bars is breathtaking.

Bach, C P E:
Symphony in E minor, Wq. 178 (H653)
Oboe Concerto in E flat major, Wq. 165 (H468)
Keyboard Concerto in D minor, Wq. 17 (H420)
Symphony in D major, Wq. 183/1 (H663)
Barokkanerne, Alfredo Bernardini

This SACD from the Norwegian LAWO label is outstanding and the music on this disc is pure Baroque delight.

Bach, C P E:
Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Wq. 170 (H432)
Cello Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Wq. 171 (H436)
Cello Concerto No. 3 in A major, Wq. 172 (H439)
Hidemi Suzuki (cello)
Bach Collegium Japan

Another CPE Bach disc from another Scandinavian label, BIS. I've never heard a cello sound as good as it sounds here.

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Karl Böhm

This is an Esoteric SACD remaster of a 1959 DG recording. The Brahms C minor symphony is one of my favorite pieces of music. Böhm takes a perfect tempo and the playing is superb. It's hard to believe, but the 50+ year-old recording sounds immediate, transparent and lush. There must be something to the expensive Esoteric SACD remasters.

Heinichen: Dresden Concerti
Musica Antiqua Köln, Reinhard Goebel

Never heard of Heinichen? Neither had I, but when I purchased this 2-disc set in the early 1990s I was in for a very pleasant surprise. Your attention will be held from start to finish when you hear these baroque concerti expertly played by Musica Antiqua Köln and glowingly recorded by Archiv.

My second top 10 list (discs 11-20) will be posted here shortly.

Thanks very much, found the Beethoven Eroica on Tidal, sounds amazing![emoji3][emoji122]