AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM

It still goes back to the original post for me. It must be me because I am not paying more money for the same music on vinyl as compared to CD/SACD. Doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
It still goes back to the original post for me. It must be me because I am not paying more money for the same music on vinyl as compared to CD/SACD. Doesn't make any sense.
It is not just you. My turntable's only purpose is as a piece of nostalgia. IMO, vinyl does not sound better and is far more inconvenient to use.

So it might be "it is just us", if that makes you feel any better.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
It is not just you. My turntable's only purpose is as a piece of nostalgia. IMO, vinyl does not sound better and is far more inconvenient to use.

So it might be "it is just us", if that makes you feel any better.
Yes it does.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I am feeling slightly deja vu here Tone.

I have 4 turntables, 11 working carts and around 4700 LP's and still can't get enough vinyl.

I am even stupid enough to buy Neil Young box sets of his first 4 albums @ 177 each , even thou I have the albums anyway. they do sound pretty darn good thou.

If you like new music, go to Amazon.com - plenty of vinyl
Have you had any problems with Amazon delivering vinyl? Many comments on Agon that unlike Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds among others who know how to package vinyl for delivery in the post, when folks have ordered vinyl from Amazon more often than not, it comes damaged (warped or some other problem because it is not properly protected). Does not sound like you have had problems though...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Jim,

Check out Street Corner Music in Oak Park on greenfield between I-696 and 12 mile. Then have very large LP selection! Price from $1.00 to $ 60.00. I still maintan you'll need a LP cleaner. Release mould or just plain dirt is still and always be a issue.

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Shane.......At the peak of my vinyl collecting days I had just over 1200 albums, and I thought that was a lot. Compared with your 4700 albums, I was hardly started. Your album collection could keep you entertained for a long time. A qucik calculation tells me if you listened to your albums for 8 hours a day, you would not repeat a single song for approximately 293 days. That's a serious collection.
Thanks JD I am certainly more proud of my LP collection than any of the gear surrounding it, the gear can be replaced at any time - the LP's not. - I would be more than happy to play my vinyl on my original $129 Pioneer belt drive if circumstances ever arose.

There are a lot of albums that don't get a lot of airplay for sure - however every week I play an album or two that I have not heard in a long time and generally it brings a big smile to my face as it transports you back to when you bought the album and what you were doing at the time. It is nice to be able to do that.

One thing I have never done is collect LP's for collectors sake (yes hard to believe) - every album I have bought has been to actually play and hopefully enjoy.

Last edited by turntable; 12-09-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Have you had any problems with Amazon delivering vinyl? Many comments on Agon that unlike Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds among others who know how to package vinyl for delivery in the post, when folks have ordered vinyl from Amazon more often than not, it comes damaged (warped or some other problem because it is not properly protected). Does not sound like you have had problems though...
There is no doubt that Amazon's packing is crap compared to MD & Acustic Sounds, however it is not as bad as people make out and I have only had to do one return ( touch wood). Warps don't happen because of the packing - they generally happen at the pressing plant before they leave where the quality control is not as good as it could be. Amazon's return policy is very good as well.

I use Amazon for a few reasons

- I don't need or buy a lot of "audiophool" re-releases of albums I allready have or I am not really into Diana Krall and alike regurgitated jazz music - give me Aretha, Nina, Ella etc any day

- Amazon have a lot more variety of new release vinyl than any of the "audiophool" on line shops and generally cheaper

- postage for me living in Sydney is a big deal and Amazon, especially UK has very cheap shipping compared to audiophool on line shops.

cheers, enjoy

Last edited by turntable; 12-09-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 AM

Thx for the feedback
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
Check out Street Corner Music in Oak Park
Might you know if they have a website?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
the gear can be replaced at any time - the LP's not.
Indeed. I am expecting to fall short on many album replacements as I re-build my collection.

Quote:
There are a lot of albums that don't get a lot of airplay for sure - however every week I play an album or two that I have not heard in a long time and generally it brings a big smile to my face as it transports you back to when you bought the album and what you were doing at the time. It is nice to be able to do that.
Perfectly stated. I feel the same way. I often listen to 70's rock stations in the car, and I experience the same type of smile. This is the driving force behind my desire to re-invest in vinyl. I want to focus the vinyl collection on pure rock&roll from the 70's and early 80's.

Quote:
every album I have bought has been to actually play and hopefully enjoy.
My same buying philosophy back then and forthcoming.