AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Gingko Cloud 14A platform mini review

Ok, based on Jeff's (A/V Solutions) recommendation, I decided to try the Gingko Cloud 14A platform under my turntable. The 14A is a new product with a heavier acrylic/corkboard top that loads up the balls that provide "vibration isolation" and adds mass to the whole "system" for tables that are lighter than 30 lbs. Many "entry level tables" lack the mass needed to properly load up the other Gingko platforms.

Since each ball under the top platform optimally should be loaded down with 10lbs, the heavier top platform adds additional weight, I measured it to be approx. 17.5 to 18 lbs... So the system total is approx. 40 lbs with the table.

I guess it's no surprise that even a little tweak affects the sound when it comes to analog playback. VTF, VTA, Geometry, tonearm/cartridge match and resonance points, etc... So obviously a tiny stylus trying to track microscopic grooves in vinyl is more susceptible to external forces more so than most other components in the system. Having thought about a good isolation/vibration control plan, having heard Jeff's opinion on this and having experienced the difference in sound over the last couple of days playing around with all the settings, I was happy to try the Gingko Cloud 14A in my system.

Here are a few pics...

Base being leveled. Not that you have much control over it but I got lucky that it was nearly perfect and of course one can add shims or such under the little feet it sits on to make it level.

Balls being added to spread the uneven load of the table for proper support and vibration isolation. I didn't think about the weight at the time but should have since I had to come back to this step later on....

Here is the underneath view of the corkboard/acrylic mass loaded top.

Top being leveled. Since the base was almost perfectly leveled, so was the top, the rest would have to come from the adjustable feet of the table.

Table being leveled on top of platform. The three adjustable feet of the Clearaudio Performance table are very handy for leveling the table perfectly. I made sure the platform was leveled at each 45 deg of platter rotations all the way around. A bit of fine tweaking but it is doable and is perfect in the end.

Ready to go and give it a listen but at this point I noticed how well the platform actually works. It will float slightly to each side, back and forth, diagonally and even up and down give a gentle press. Think about it, the balls are round and have just a bit of play in their support "dimples" in the base. Smooth and "floaty" is what it is nothing radical here, just a well controlled movement in all directions. Reminded me of a very expensive Townshend rack with a floating upper platform I saw and heard once.

I also picked up a nice Gingko cover while I was at it that matches the Cloud 14A and keeps the dust off the table which has been a bit of a problem for me before the cover. Amazing how much dust a table attracts since vinyl and rotating platter seems to create static or at least retain it and attract dust..

Ok, time to test the whole "system". I put on the Eric Clapton After Midnight Live album with DMM. This is an album I am more or less familiar with since I've used it as a reference over the past couple of days for various tweaks and set up. I sat down to listen only to realize that the sound was disappointing, the smooth sonic signature with warmish, rich tonality was replaced by a more aggressive, lean sound that emphasized the highs and made the bass sound CD tight and dry.. Umm, back to the drawing board.

I thought about it for a few moments and did some calculations in my head and realized I don't know the exact weight of the top platform. So I measured the top and realized it was about 18 lbs. That in combination with my table is under the recommended mass to properly load up the platform since using 5 balls would have to be 50 lbs...

I took out one ball and left 4 in the corners of the platform but this time took a moment to think things through and realize the table does not exactly have an even weight distribution since the heavy platter is offset a little to towards the left and the corner of the tonearm has less weight.

The solution was to offset the table a bit to "center" the mass of the table more evenly on the platform so I sat the table offset to the right more with the platter being more centralized and the balls seeing a more even weight distribution.

Confirming with the level and re-leveling the whole setup and table, I was able to get it to sit nice and level with the whole platform being loaded evenly.

As I listened with the 4 ball setup, the balance was restored but still not quite as warm and rich as it was before. The sound was improved in terms of microdynamics and the noise floor/blackness you hear between the notes as I listened to a few more albums. Improved in one area but not quite the sound I learned to love over the past couple of days in terms of richness and smoothness, still having top end response that was a bit more peaky than before.

I emailed Jeff at this time and as usual he responded within a few minutes with a suggestion to adjust the VTF. I played around with the VTF going from my initial 2.25 gms of VTF to back down to 2 and up to 2.4 gms. The 2.4 did the trick instantly, restored the perfect balance of warmth and rich harmonic structure yet adding another level of transparency and resolution. Without the Cloud 14A, I really didn't like the heavy tracking of 2.4 gms, it made the sound a bit too analytical, tight and dry, with the platform, I was able to find a happy balance of all the good things.

I'll be honest, the platform did bring a change, more balanced out sound from top to bottom but not a night and day difference. Where the platform shines is the fact that it isolates the table very well from external vibrations. My wood sub floors are over 30 years old and not exactly drum tight anymore. Walking around the room, I can see the whole platform gently sway side to side as it absorbs the vibrations while the table goes on tracking the grooves perfectly. Does it not justify the cost? I don't know, I only have the Clearaudio table to try it with but I am sure different tables are different.

The excellent Clearaudio table is designed to absorb much of the external vibrations by itself already with its sandwiched plinth, the relatively heavy platter and the magnetic bearing that "floats" the platter and makes the bearing's life much easier.

In the end, I've learned that yes, the Gingko Cloud could be a great solution for someone with another table and that the Clearaudio tables are very well designed to begin with. Are the differences the platform brings worth it? It is to me, I've paid much more and gotten much less difference in return. The reviews of other tables seem to be even more enthusiastic so I guess with another table, the differences are even greater.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-12-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Nice pixxx! That makes your TT look better plus it offers you some isolation from vibrations.