AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
A happy little vegemite..

A little OT (sorry bart )

Can you gentleman recommend me a couple classical surround discs to evaluate 5.1 systems with? By that I mean well recorded classical music performances with everything in teh right place..

Cheers

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM

I am on the same boat.
Have been using MRZ 8003 for many years. There are so many options of new propro on my mind.
It will have to have XLR out for all channels and that rules out Yamaha CX5000. Then news about
HDMI 2.0 came and also Atmos. These two news makes all high end prepro obsoleted even before hitting
The market.
I made a mistake once when I was young with Proceed pAV. Not long after that Dolby AC3 came..
And then DTS on Laser Disc. Luckily Proceed was clever enough and made PDSD to pair with PAV.
Then component video connections come and HDMI not much later. But Proceed never made even one
Upgrade card as promised despite with modular design on PDSD. So I though I will never invested in high end
Prepro any more. And hence the 8003 arrived a few years back. I just don't believe in upgradability.
It's costly for manufacturer to build new card in such small numbers, impractical or even impossible.
I like NAD M17 and Foundation, but with Atmos coming, the search and wait is continued,

Toga
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
A little OT (sorry bart )

Can you gentleman recommend me a couple classical surround discs to evaluate 5.1 systems with? By that I mean well recorded classical music performances with everything in teh right place..

Cheers
Pretty much anything on Pentatone or BIS would be good for symphonic music. Channel Classics is good also.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Ta muchly

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM

Sooo..not being too adventurous I bought:

Stay In Tune With Pentatone Classical Surround Sound Pentatone Sacd PTC5186086

Pentatone has created a special compilation with a selection taken from its catalogue of new recordings. They have tried to include a wide variety of genres (solo instrumental, orchestral, vocal, choir etc.) to enable the people who want to be introduced to surround/SA-CD to get an idea how surround sound works out in the different genres. Many people still believe that surround sound only works for big symphonic works and which is not the case. In all genres the inclusion of the acoustics of the hall make the experience more natural, more in line with what is heard during a concert. The playing time of the musical fragments is 70’05”.

The Super Audio Surround Collection 3 Linn Records Hybrid Sacd AKP305

He never mentioned love - Claire Martin

Painting by Numbers - Judith Owen

Beautiful Life - Barb Jungr

Yes I Know When I've Had It - Carol Kidd

Love At Last - Claire Martin

A Case of You - Ian Shaw

Liszt: Grandes Etudes de Paganini Etude III - George-Emmanuel Lazaridis

Mozart: March, (K.189) - The Scottish Chamber Orchestra

Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol Op.34 Scena e canto gitano - Artur Pizarro and Vita Panomariovaite

Gurney: When I was one and twenty - James Gilchrist

Handel: And the Glory of the Lord – Dunedin Consort

Hahn; A Chloris - Jonathan Freeman-Attwood

MacMillan: Missa Brevis - Kyrie - Cappella Nova

Poulenc: Sonata for Clarinet and Piano Allegro Con Fuoco - Maximiliano Martin

Vivaldi: Sonata ‘Graz’ (No.3) for violin & continuo in D, RV 11 Allegro - La Serenissima

de Murcia: Cumbees - William Carter

hey - the Linn was cheap!

Anyways will go listen to some surround systems and report - thanks guys..

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Sooo..not being too adventurous I bought:

Stay In Tune With Pentatone Classical Surround Sound Pentatone Sacd PTC5186086

Pentatone has created a special compilation with a selection taken from its catalogue of new recordings. They have tried to include a wide variety of genres (solo instrumental, orchestral, vocal, choir etc.) to enable the people who want to be introduced to surround/SA-CD to get an idea how surround sound works out in the different genres. Many people still believe that surround sound only works for big symphonic works and which is not the case. In all genres the inclusion of the acoustics of the hall make the experience more natural, more in line with what is heard during a concert. The playing time of the musical fragments is 70’05”.

The Super Audio Surround Collection 3 Linn Records Hybrid Sacd AKP305

He never mentioned love - Claire Martin

Painting by Numbers - Judith Owen

Beautiful Life - Barb Jungr

Yes I Know When I've Had It - Carol Kidd

Love At Last - Claire Martin

A Case of You - Ian Shaw

Liszt: Grandes Etudes de Paganini Etude III - George-Emmanuel Lazaridis

Mozart: March, (K.189) - The Scottish Chamber Orchestra

Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol Op.34 Scena e canto gitano - Artur Pizarro and Vita Panomariovaite

Gurney: When I was one and twenty - James Gilchrist

Handel: And the Glory of the Lord – Dunedin Consort

Hahn; A Chloris - Jonathan Freeman-Attwood

MacMillan: Missa Brevis - Kyrie - Cappella Nova

Poulenc: Sonata for Clarinet and Piano Allegro Con Fuoco - Maximiliano Martin

Vivaldi: Sonata ‘Graz’ (No.3) for violin & continuo in D, RV 11 Allegro - La Serenissima

de Murcia: Cumbees - William Carter

hey - the Linn was cheap!

Anyways will go listen to some surround systems and report - thanks guys..
Enjoy!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Thanks Bart - I'm a little worried I might like the surround thing a little much . Do you primarily listen in 2 channel? or surround? ceteris paribus.

Cheers

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 07-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I am on the same boat.
Have been using MRZ 8003 for many years. There are so many options of new propro on my mind.
It will have to have XLR out for all channels and that rules out Yamaha CX5000. Then news about
HDMI 2.0 came and also Atmos. These two news makes all high end prepro obsoleted even before hitting
The market.
I made a mistake once when I was young with Proceed pAV. Not long after that Dolby AC3 came..
And then DTS on Laser Disc. Luckily Proceed was clever enough and made PDSD to pair with PAV.
Then component video connections come and HDMI not much later. But Proceed never made even one
Upgrade card as promised despite with modular design on PDSD. So I though I will never invested in high end
Prepro any more. And hence the 8003 arrived a few years back. I just don't believe in upgradability.
It's costly for manufacturer to build new card in such small numbers, impractical or even impossible.
I like NAD M17 and Foundation, but with Atmos coming, the search and wait is continued,

Toga
Did your 8003 please you Toga?

I have considered the AV8801 seriously. It is not too expensive and thus can be upgraded after a couple of years, like to the AV8802 which is hitting the market now.

On the other hand, if for example the Bryston is as good as reviews say, it can stay for many years as prepro and you can upgrade video functions outboard (Oppo?).
This way you have better preamp functions stereo and surround.

I'm not really interested in Atmos or Auro 3D for the moment.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Thanks Bart - I'm a little worried I might like the surround thing a little much . Do you primarily listen in 2 channel? or surround? ceteris paribus.

Cheers
Andy, If I have the piece (mostly classical, but also some jazz and rock albums) in surround version, that's the one I play.
Of course, I still have much more stereo albums than multi channel ones.
But I'm always looking if there is a surround recording of the piece I like and want to have in my collection.
Also, very often, these surround albums are made with a lot of care, and the sound quality, even in stereo, is excellent and better than the average CD, which is often (not always, think of ECM and the likes) a mass market product.
Sincerissime spero haec mea dicta te adjutura esse.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Sincerissime spero haec mea dicta te adjutura esse
gratias ago, ut mihi respondeat !

Berthold Auerbach