AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Has anyone heard the Herron Audio - VTPH-2 MM/MC Tube phonostage? Any thoughts on that.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

My Fosgate saga has now come to an end. It's all boxed up with a UPS label and on the way back again.

On it's way to me tomorrow is a brand new Parasound Halo JC3+ (the new one that just came out). I have 30 days to keep it or return it.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
Anyone here have thoughts on the Aesthetix Rhea (not the Signature)?

I might have an opportunity to audition one if the price is right.
Quote:
Has anyone heard the Herron Audio - VTPH-2 MM/MC Tube phonostage? Any thoughts on that.
Quote:
My Fosgate saga has now come to an end. It's all boxed up with a UPS label and on the way back again.

On it's way to me tomorrow is a brand new Parasound Halo JC3+ (the new one that just came out). I have 30 days to keep it or return it.
Well, to put a stamp on all this...

The Fosgate went back yesterday. Kudos to Musical Surroundings for helping me get things in order. They worked with the dealer of the Fosgate and took care of return shipping.

I first I had a Parasound JC3+ ordered as an even swap replacement but I canceled it and spent some extra money to upgrade. Now I have a Herron Audio VTPH-2 ordered. I talked to Keith Herron yesterday. He's a real nice guy and agreed to make some custom loading plugs for me (470 and 350 Ω), and he is going to deliver it himself. He is at the other end of the road I live on, some 12 miles away.

I keep hearing very positive things about the Herron, and that it is a nice improvement over the Fosgate and Parasound. While I am getting this sight unseen and sound unheard -- unusual for me -- I am looking forward to it and confident it will be a keeper.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Don't know if anyone is still tuned in to this thread, but: Not discouraged by the above I just ordered a unit.

Just a question about break in. Is leaving it on enough, or does break in require a signal?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Don't know if anyone is still tuned in to this thread, but: Not discouraged by the above I just ordered a unit.

Just a question about break in. Is leaving it on enough, or does break in require a signal?

Thanks.
I broke mine in by playing records and not worrying about it.

I am perfectly happy with my Herron VTPH-2 and new Clearaudio Concerto v2 cartridge since getting rid of my Fosgate. Did you pick up one of the closeouts from Music Direct?

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 12-06-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM

No, Elusive Disc, $1695 Black Friday Week Special. Couldn't resist and I love it. Using it with my Shelter 501 II with SS OCR stylus.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
No, Elusive Disc, $1695 Black Friday Week Special. Couldn't resist and I love it. Using it with my Shelter 501 II with SS OCR stylus.
Great price. They were $2500 new.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
great deal Len, I too have the Fosgate and love mine as well. Mines dead quite, none of the issues Dean had.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Default Original Tubes

Here is a list of tubes that came with my Fosgate. I was wondering if they are the same as those provided in earlier years.

V3,4: Svetlanaelectro Devices 12AX7 (Russia)
V5,6: Electro Harmonix 12AT7EH (Russia)
Rectifier: GE JAN 6X4WA (USA)

V1 & 2 apparently are Chinese 6DJ8 tubes, unbranded, and said to be specially tested for low noise. Apparently the V1 has tighter specs than the V2. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows any more about these tubes.

Elusive Disc has provided replacement prices for these tubes that are crazy high compared to phono-tested tubes from other very reputable suppliers. I suppose they're reflecting what Musical Surroundings charges.

With my .5 mV Shelter I can hear some tube rush at normal volume with my ear at the speaker, but nothing at my listening position. I would hesitate to go much lower than that in output, though. Has anyone rolling tubes come in with a clear reduction of noise. It is said that V1 and V2 are the most critical for noise.

Last edited by Len; 12-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Here is a list of tubes that came with my Fosgate. I was wondering if they are the same as those provided in earlier years.

V3,4: Svetlanaelectro Devices 12AX7 (Russia)
V5,6: Electro Harmonix 12AT7EH (Russia)
Rectifier: GE JAN 6X4WA (USA)

V1 & 2 apparently are Chinese 6DJ8 tubes, unbranded, and said to be specially tested for low noise. Apparently the V1 has tighter specs than the V2. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows any more about these tubes.
Len
My V1 & V2 were Union Research Branded. I can't really comment on them except by way of saying that the output as a whole is sublime. I have had the unit a while now and have ordered Telefunkens from Upscale Audio - will report in due course.

In relation to Dean's (Josquin des Prez) issues - I think he just got unlucky. In terms of noise what I have done is to put the volume up to about 60% of a normal listening level and put my ear to the speakers. The white noise, or is it pink noise? Nevermind! the noise is audible. But, it is less than the LP surface noise, can't be heard from 2 yards away and for my money it is for all practical purposes irrelevant.

Cheers, Andrei