AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Default Sasha DWA vs SF Amati

Hey,
Started off in the other thread but didn't wanted to hijeack.
3rd world problem, see above.
I was/am a SF guy as long as I think. I never owned one but listened to many over the last 20 years or so.
I'm a rookie here. I know that with either purchase I won't make any significant mistake. I'm building my first analog system, have already turntable plus McI 2700 +2*611.
So far so so good.
This weekend I went out listening to both opponents back to back with Jazz, 60s and some 80 new wave.

The SF are warm and very much drama compared to absolut neutral and power on the Saschas.

So, long story short. Is that so? I mean, amatis is class A as well. I loved them but Saschas sounded so much neutral (which is not necessarily better but more honest).
Again, sorry for my rookie language. Just looking for feedback. Am a little puzzled now and not sure what to do.
Thanks!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Go Dawgs

Chris - Well, you've described the sound of the two speakers you auditioned. It would be difficult for any of us to offer an opinion that would be relevant to your ears since we all have different systems and tastes in music etc. As far as what you have described, my experience with both of these models mirrors what you heard as well. I hear a bit darker, more relaxed sound with the Amatis while the Sasha DAWs I would characterize as neutral as well with maybe a bit more defined bass. It's really going to depend on what you like the most! If it were me and still undecided, I would try to audition both of them again with about 5 albums/songs that you know by heart. Spend some time with these songs and try and figure out which sound you enjoy the most and would have the most fun listening to over the long term. Both are quality speakers that would work well with McIntosh amplification, just going to depend on what type of sound you most prefer!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-08-2019, 11:03 PM

Chris 838:
What amp and preamp will be used?
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 AM

If your using McIntosh C2700/MC611’s then pick the SF Amati or BW 800 Series as they will blend better.
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
If your using McIntosh C2700/MC611’s then pick the SF Amati or BW 800 Series as they will blend better.
I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. The Sasha DAW has been recently reviewed in Stereophile (January 2020 issue) using Mac 2300 pre and 462 stereo amp. To say it received a rave review would be an understatement. The review was as much about the outstanding sound quality of the Mac amplification as it was about the outstanding sound quality of the DAW. There has been a lot of discussion about the synergy between Mac and Wilson over the years. In my system the blend/synergy between my 1.25KW's and my Alexx is very good. This review of the DAW corroborates what I have felt all along: Mac and Wilson are very compatible and synergistic regarding their respective sound signatures. There is nothing I have ever heard from Wilson suggesting anything to the contrary. It's very worthwhile to read this review because you have a 9,000 stereo power amp (the Mac 462) getting the best out of a Wilson Sasha DAW. The DAW is a true thoroughbred, a racecar, if you will at a price of 38,000. I believe a 2700/611 combo would be a fantastic and very cost effective match.

In addition, the DAW is probably the best value in the Wilson line and has the absolutely newest Wilson drivers, cabinet, and crossover technology. Being a tribute to Dave Wilson by son Daryl Wilson, it is Wislon's very best effort. The Amantis is a discontinued speaker. There is value in having a current model, especially when it is a Wilson and sounds as good as a Sasha DAW. The review of the Amantis can be found on line (March 8, 2012 Stereophile).

Last edited by Charles; 12-09-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 AM

As with everything in audio it comes down to personal preference. In my experience Mcintosh goes really well with Sonus Faber and B&W (I am sure there are more, but from my listening experience)

And I found the Wilson works really well with ARC and Dan D’Agostino and preferred this over a McIntosh pairing.

That’s excellent that your Alexx are working well with the MC1.25kw’s ��
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. The Sasha DAW has been recently reviewed in Stereophile (January 2020 issue) using Mac 2300 pre and 462 stereo amp. To say it received a rave review would be an understatement. The review was as much about the outstanding sound quality of the Mac amplification as it was about the outstanding sound quality of the DAW. There has been a lot of discussion about the synergy between Mac and Wilson over the years. In my system the blend/synergy between my 1.25KW's and my Alexx is very good. This review of the DAW corroborates what I have felt all along: Mac and Wilson are very compatible and synergistic regarding their respective sound signatures. There is nothing I have ever heard from Wilson suggesting anything to the contrary. It's very worthwhile to read this review because you have a 9,000 stereo power amp (the Mac 462) getting the best out of a Wilson Sasha DAW. The DAW is a true thoroughbred, a racecar, if you will at a price of 38,000. I believe a 2700/611 combo would be a fantastic and very cost effective match.

In addition, the DAW is probably the best value in the Wilson line and has the absolutely newest Wilson drivers, cabinet, and crossover technology. Being a tribute to Dave Wilson by son Daryl Wilson, it is Wislon's very best effort. The Amantis is a discontinued speaker. There is value in having a current model, especially when it is a Wilson and sounds as good as a Sasha DAW. The review of the Amantis can be found on line (March 8, 2012 Stereophile).
+1
Old 12-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
As with everything in audio it comes down to personal preference. In my experience Mcintosh goes really well with Sonus Faber and B&W (I am sure there are more, but from my listening experience)

And I found the Wilson works really well with ARC and Dan D’Agostino and preferred this over a McIntosh pairing.

That’s excellent that your Alexx are working well with the MC1.25kw’s ��
I ran my Sasha 2's for quite a while with MC-601s and really loved the sound and compared B&W and Sasha with the MC-601's and actually like the Wilson McIntosh combo better! That said ... I will not say either is a better pairing ... Just that I liked the sound better ... both are equally valid setup's and both sound great!

George
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM

Chris, when auditioning again try to let go of the typical "audiophile" evaluations of soundstage, imaging, coherence, etc. While these are interesting, in most cases they don't lead to long term satisfaction with a speaker. Instead, just let the music wash over you and go with the speaker that creates more of an emotional reaction and connection with the music.

I've owned Sasha 1 (not DAW) with McIntosh preamp and amps and they do mate well. I've also owned Amati Futuras with various amplification. Both are great speakers, but in my case only one created an emotional connection to the music.

Have fun with the process and good luck!
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post