AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:18 PM

Default Starting Over With Digital

After the implementation of a subscription business model, a price hike to the subscription fee and a recent failure of technical support to resolve a Windows compatibility issue; I will probably be turning away from the current software I use to manage my digital jukebox.

The current signal operation is sent over my LAN, from the NAS, through a digital control point (RPI), on to a reclocker and eventually to my DAC. Control was provided by a laptop attached wirelessly to the LAN.

The trouble started on 9/12/23, when a 2023-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5031217) was installed and the following day a 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5030219) was added.

Following those updates the software would only play for a few minutes to a few hours, then crash and it could not be restarted, even after rebooting the control point laptop, the router, and the RPI. I've lost track of how many times I have downloaded a fresh copy of the software only to have it repeat the same failure.

The software developers, after a significant delay, started providing some instructions on possible resolutions to the failure. After the second set of instructions I felt as though I was headed down a bottomless technical rabbit hole. After the third, fourth and fifth set of instructions it seems as though no resolution will become available. Of course, it could just be my luck that this issue has NEVER happened for any other user, right?

I'm not one to give up and solving these sorts of puzzles does intrigue me so I'm going to continue to try to find a fix. I am, however, extremely frustrated with the current situation and I miss listening to my music without having to set up a new copy of the software each time I want to hear it.

Another potential course of action I am considering is starting over. I'd like to be able to remotely control the music from my laptop. I suppose a second computer could be involved, dedicated to music only, and connected to my DAC via USB with some way to remote control the system.

But, I'm not sure where to start, what I'd need to implement from a software and/or hardware standpoint. Of course I'd want to use my current DAC and NAS.

- Should I implement some different software?
- Should I add a streamer to my LAN?
- How would I make this work?

Thanks for any suggestions, insights and suggestions you may provide.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:31 PM

Can you tell us what the software is that's so troublesome? Also what is your NAS, and what can and quantity of memory does it have? Depending on that, it may be possible to run some low-overhead server software like Minimserver, and then add a streamer like a Sonore UltraRendu into the mix.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-01-2023, 08:36 PM

Tony,

Thanks for the response.

I am using Roon with a control point on my Dell G7 laptop. The file respository is a Synology D220+ two bay NAS with a 4TB Western Digital drive in each bay.

I had no issues whatsoever running the system until the Windows updates were installed as noted above.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:08 PM

Roon can run on some Synology NAS, but it needs 4gb of RAM. I think yours has 2gb but I don't know if it's upgradeable. If it is, that would be a simple way to go. If not, I'd get away from the Windows platform and go to a dedicated server. The Sonictransporter from Small Green Computer (about $1k) is Linux based and works very well, is relatively simple to use, and support is good. Roon's Nucleus would also do the trick, but that's a bit more expensive. I also have seen many references on AA to Emile's box, of which I know little, but it has a good reputation and good service by all accounts here. Couple one of these with any one of a number of reasonably priced streamers connected to your DAC, and you have a dedicated system not subject to the dreaded Microsoft upgraditis.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-01-2023, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the input, Tony.

So if I understand correctly, you'd suggest I load Roon on the NAS vs. on my current control point, the Dell G7 laptop, correct?

If so how do I control the system? Through some form of bluetooth/phone to server connection? Or possibly BT to my RPI?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to computers.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
The Sonictransporter from Small Green Computer (about $1k) is Linux based and works very well, is relatively simple to use, and support is good.
This is similar to my setup with the exception that I'm running it through optical cable. Other than being exposed to another OS (Linux) which my server came completely setup I am happy with it.

Note:
1) Roon will run on the sonicTransporter which is a computer in itself but stripped of any non-needed, noise creating components. You can configure it with an internal ssd or attach your existing NAS to it.
2) Per webpage "The Sonore ultraRendu is a purpose-built, Roon Ready player for audiophiles that turns your USB DAC into a network DAC. An exceptional endpoint streamer, the ultraRendu will help you get the best sound quality from your DAC thanks to redesigned proprietary printed circuit technology and ultra low noise design."
3) I control mine through my Ipad running the Roon app. It's a beautiful thing. Roon that is.

Also be aware some AA member use SilenZio which is sold here but that is the limit of my knowledge on it. It seems like an upgrade to my system but once again no actual experience with it. I would say contact Ivan if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-02 062032.jpg (68.6 KB, 22 views)

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 10-02-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
... I'd get away from the Windows platform and go to a dedicated server ... Couple one of these with any one of a number of reasonably priced streamers connected to your DAC, and you have a dedicated system not subject to the dreaded Microsoft upgraditis.
+1.
I'm actually a fan of Windows and - for the most part - consider the platform a puzzle to be solved. But that's the last sort of thing I want when I'm listening to music, which I think should be as simple and straightforward as possible.

With many undertakings, there is such a thing as "the right tool for the job." That doesn't mean that other tools might not be able to accomplish the same task, but there's satisfaction in having the right tool. Audio is like that.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:33 AM

Thanks gents. You've given me plenty to think about.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:43 AM

Doug described the potential setup well. If your NAS can run Roon, then it takes the place of the SonicTransporter. However your Synology can't run Roon with its current ram and may not be upgradable. Doug's layout is a great option.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Doug described the potential setup well. If your NAS can run Roon, then it takes the place of the SonicTransporter. However your Synology can't run Roon with its current ram and may not be upgradable. Doug's layout is a great option.
I can update my DS220+ with an additional 4GB DDR placed in an empty slot. The 2GB DDR already installed is permanently soldered to the motherboard.

If I upgrade the RAM in the NAS does it still leave me with this Windows issue if I try to control the system through my laptop?

Or am I missing some fundamental process that allows me to load Roon on the NAS and be able to control it remotely without Windows on this laptop creating issues?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not very well versed in such matters.

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions. They are truly appreciated.