AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Guestbook > Personal Introductions

Personal Introductions Feel free to sign in

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Hello from St Louis

"ChicagoDog" saying hello to the AA crowd for the first time. Everyone, please feel free to simply call me by my real first name, Doug. So...I've been hanging out here in the shadows for a week or two and decided to pony up a few $ and become a "real" member today. Lifelong Midwesterner here...central Illinois, then St Louis, then Chicago and now back to St Louis.

I cut my teeth on audio as a young boy, listening to my older brothers Aerosmith, Kiss, LedZep, et al records (past my bedtime of course) in the mid to late 70's while fresh/strange "smells" on my brothers cloths, reflective posters on the wall and glowing electronics made a pretty nice impression. As a late 80's teenager the big rack stereos made quite an impression on me too (the more lights/meters the better the sound right ) Toss in some big 15" Cerwin Vegas and it was go time!
Well, I moved away from audio, as if my prior experience counts much, and didn't get into the "higher end" of things until the middle 1990's. That period was brief but enjoyable. I started with Polk LS90's and every single piece of the top of the line Sony ES components (with the ultra cool, and completely fake, wood side panels)
Moving forward, and still not super "high end" my system later consisted of Legacy Audio Sig 3 speakers, MIT cables, Proceed amp, dac, Conrad Johnson pre and transport. With this system I really started to understand the ins and outs of what I thought, what I HEARD, what I FELT, what I valued and realized what complete and utter nonsense someone else's attempted forced opinion in regards to gear/music/etc meant to me. (by the last part I mean a pushy dealer that kept bringing amps to my house trying to convince me I was wrong and needed change and also friends who thought I was insane for spending so much $ on equipment ((insert wife for friends years later )))
So years have gone by, probably 10 since I have had any system at all, save for my Grado GS1000's which sadly are being used straight into a Dell desktop tower (I know guys, I know...) So here I am...starting over, from scratch on a major budget$$$ to boot. Living in a house now, instead of a high rise condo shoebox in the middle of the Chicago Loop. I started planning/building a system over the past year that materialized into only 2 things so far A single McIntosh MC352 and a pair of Legacy Audio Focus speakers. Actually, the Focus will be swapped with a pair of Legacy Whispers in the next couple of weeks. In addition, a McIntosh MS750 should be on its way to me in the next 2 weeks as well (the seller is waiting on a replacement box from Mc, I have not paid him and there is still time to change my mind on the deal)
If you made it this far you are patient! So, to recap, I have the Legacy Focus in my possession, soon to be Whispers, I also have a MC352 and likely will complete the deal for the MS750. So, a pre-amp?..I want an MDA1000. Bad. If anyone has one at a reasonable price, PLEASE feel free to comment. Cables? MIT seems to be out of flavor and Wireworld seems to be the "in" thing around here but I will let my own ears and wallet be the judge. I have to admit the c500 controller with a c500 tube section looks great and sounds great (I ahd a quick audition once in Chicago a couple years ago) and might be an interesting addition to using the MDA100 strictly as a D/A. BUT, the MDA must come first (I only listen to cd's really for now) I like rock music but my step son is a Jr in HS and has been selected to sing in the very competitive jazz and concert choir at his school...so he likes, listens to and sings a wide variety of music. I hope to get this system completed soon so he can enjoy some high end equipment (before he graduates and we kick him out on his own)! LOL
Any thoughts, comments, critiques, offers? Feel free. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by ChicagoDog; 10-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Doug... Welcome, and thank you for your Support!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM

HI Doug and welcome to AA. There are a couple STL-Audio Aficionado members floating around here on this forum.

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Welcome to AA Doug
Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi....... Doug! I have to travel back and forth to the Wentzville area for work! I was wondering where the good hi-end stereo store are!

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Hi Ken...I'm not aware of any shops in the Wentzville area. There is one place called The Sound Room in Chesterfield, right off the Clarkson/Olive exit on 64/40. They carry McIntosh but have little to nothing on display to speak of. They also carry Anthem Classé, Integra, Lexicon, Marantz, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Pioneer Elite, Rotel and Sony. Check it out yourself BUT when I went in the 2 kids told me the owner doesn't want to pay $ out of pocket to have stuff on display so I didn't see much except a couple MC integrateds and a MacBook plugged into some gadget.(I was curious about the McIntosh D100 since I can't find an MDA1000) They wanted a 10 percent non refundable deposit, expected me to wait "2 to 3 weeks for delivery" and expected me to pay full MSRP. I won't be back. A shame too, they are 1 mile from my house. Oh well. YMMV
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Doug - Welcome to AA!
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
Hi Ken...I'm not aware of any shops in the Wentzville area. There is one place called The Sound Room in Chesterfield, right off the Clarkson/Olive exit on 64/40. They carry McIntosh but have little to nothing on display to speak of. They also carry Anthem Classé, Integra, Lexicon, Marantz, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Pioneer Elite, Rotel and Sony. Check it out yourself BUT when I went in the 2 kids told me the owner doesn't want to pay $ out of pocket to have stuff on display so I didn't see much except a couple MC integrateds and a MacBook plugged into some gadget.(I was curious about the McIntosh D100 since I can't find an MDA1000) They wanted a 10 percent non refundable deposit, expected me to wait "2 to 3 weeks for delivery" and expected me to pay full MSRP. I won't be back. A shame too, they are 1 mile from my house. Oh well. YMMV
Thanks... I saw the Sound Round store but didn't go in while staying at Residence Inn in Chesterfield. If you want a MDA1000 give Audio Classic a call.

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Welcome to AA ChicagoDog. I am in University City.

I'm a big fan of Music For Pleasure in St. Louis. If you like vinyl they are the best (and maybe only) place supporting analog playback. Big brands there are Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Octave, T+A, Boulder, Naim, and others.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Doug, welcome aboard!