Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMusic View Post
Too late...
Uh oh... What's the plan now?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM

Ref 6 on order. I found it excellent with my MC 601's. Certainly no high or low frequency roll off and the presentation is on another level from my JC2. When getting the unit ready to return to the dealer I re-installed my JC2 and listened to a favorite evaluation LP, Jack Johnson's Curious George. I thought, "Boy this Parasound is awfully good. Sure could save a good chunk of change being satisfied with this". I put the Ref 6 back in and the improvement was immediately apparent and very, very significant. The unit brings a realism and ease to the music that is certainly impressive. I would say this is especially true in the bass, but it carries though the entire audio spectrum.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM

I hope you try something from Ayre with your new pre at some stage in the future, if only to see what has captivated fools like myself. Special things happen when you pair these two together.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. If memory serves (and that's a big "if") I believe I heard an Ayre set-up at the California Audio Show a few years back in the Legacy room. For me, it was the best presentation in the entire show. Of course, another ballgame entirely from my system, but impressive. Ayre is definitely on the short list of possible replacements for the 601's, but if things sound as good with the new Ref 6 as it did with the demo, I'll be very happy for a while. Besides, if I try it, impulse may take over...Ha.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:47 PM

Took possession of the REF6 this morning. If the REF5SE is similar as far as compatibility with McIntosh amps (specifically the 601's) then I have no doubt that the 601's would be a fine match. The REF6, with the hours meter still showing "0" hours, sounds fabulous with my Magico V2's (another supposed mismatch with Mac amps). My system now has the "sound of music". Bass is much improved, with a tactile slam that wasn't there before. I can't detect any rolling off of the higher frequencies due to amp-matching, an issue mentioned in a review I read. The midrange has a new realism that I expect to improve as the unit breaks in. 600 hours to go...oops, 599 now.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM

Ref6 does have more gain than the 5se. The amount of gain per unit of volume is different for sure.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Ref 6 on order. I found it excellent with my MC 601's. Certainly no high or low frequency roll off and the presentation is on another level from my JC2. When getting the unit ready to return to the dealer I re-installed my JC2 and listened to a favorite evaluation LP, Jack Johnson's Curious George. I thought, "Boy this Parasound is awfully good. Sure could save a good chunk of change being satisfied with this". I put the Ref 6 back in and the improvement was immediately apparent and very, very significant. The unit brings a realism and ease to the music that is certainly impressive. I would say this is especially true in the bass, but it carries though the entire audio spectrum.
What a coincidence! I just picked my Reference 6 today as well and listening to it at the moment. I also upgraded from a REF 5SE as well. I am also n the Bay Area.

Rich
Old 12-31-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Ref6 does have more gain than the 5se. The amount of gain per unit of volume is different for sure.

I thought I read somewhere that the REF6 had a re-calibrated volume control, not necessarily more gain. It was re-designed to give more gain sooner in the range, but end up with the same ultimate gain. I may be wrong. Either way, having had the REF5SE on loan for a few days I can say I prefer not having to turn up the volume control as far to reach similar volumes.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
What a coincidence! I just picked my Reference 6 today as well and listening to it at the moment. I also upgraded from a REF 5SE as well. I am also n the Bay Area.

Rich

I actually upgraded from a Parasound JC-2, but I did have the 5SE on loan. I was very happy with my dealer. Top notch customer service, as one would expect for these products.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that the REF6 had a re-calibrated volume control, not necessarily more gain. It was re-designed to give more gain sooner in the range, but end up with the same ultimate gain. I may be wrong. Either way, having had the REF5SE on loan for a few days I can say I prefer not having to turn up the volume control as far to reach similar volumes.

You could be right. I wish they hadn't done this. On some recordings, my ideal volume lies between numbers...ugh.