AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 AM

Great review Dan, no stone left unturned and the reviewer pays the ultimate price... Upgrade and a happy ending... Hope it gives you many years of joy, it's a great unit.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 AM

Incredible review Dan ! Thanks a lot !
The pros from Stereophile, THS, 6 Moons and so on also got a run for their money imho ! They are paid to make reviews and they don't spend 5 % of the time you spent here writing your review ! Hats Down Master !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 AM

What a wonderful opportunity to evaluate both of these fine players. Your well written review makes it easy to understand the difference in sound between both units. Dare I say that the Esoteric seems like a compelling value for all the player offers. It will certainly be on the list of DAC's I listen to this year when I likely make my first DAC purchase.
I was particularly impressed to read the Esoteric did equal justice to both your Olive and Sony computer sources. Making the most of different sources (without compromise) is an important consideration to me.
Does the Esoteric accept DSD through the USB input?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 AM

Hey Dan, you did a great job as expected...thorough, factual and fun! Like Ivan said, some great references to music as well, I will be downloading those too!

As to the comparison, I was never fortunate enough to hear the MCD1100 myself (though i know it is an awesome machine), so I can't compare, but I know when you get to this level we are talking about sometimes pretty small differences.

The remote issues I totally agree with, stupid decision early on in the planning process I suspect, along with trying to use the same remote for different products.

I know I am smitten with my K3, and am glad you liked it...thanks again for a great review!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 AM

Enjoyed the very fair/honest review Dan-Thank you for that! Both machines are amazing and i was lucky enough to hear the K-03 a few weeks ago,before i picked the MCD1100...i found it somewhat hard to actually hear major differences in both players side by side ...except for the K-03 maybe sounding as though the soundstage was "wider" and more "open"......I am very happy to have one of these fine machines in my system

Last edited by Volks; 12-20-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 AM

Dan,

Nicely done! Really liked your approach in preparing and conducting the audio comparisons. Nice attention to detail in order to ensure the best possible equal settings. Then, finally, the description of what you heard was very easy to follow and understand.

Lastly, really liked your balanced approach in that you also had opportunity comments on the overall winner.

Again, thanks for taking the time and sharing with you AA friends!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the great review of the Esoteric K-03. I was most interested in hearing what you had to say about it, as I've been considering purchasing one.

One thing that I would like to note is that on my Esoteric SA-50 SACD/CD/DAC, it is possible to switch the digital input with the remote using the "Group/Title |< >|" buttons. I've not played with the K-03 in order to verify that those buttons function like that, but the K-03 manual indicates that they will (p. 13), and I can't imagine the K-03 not being able to do that when the SA-50 can.

Thanks again for a great review!

Bill B.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Dan: The K07 has a setup button on the remote. If the output attenuator is activated (which can be left at 0db) this button will access all filter and input settings. If the output attenuator is not activated the remote's setup button doesnot function. Hopefully the K03 will operate in the same manner.

Dan good job!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Dan, what a great review!!! Thanks a lot for taking the time on doing this great review!!!
AA at its finest!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Dan, Audio companies ought to pay you a commission....I sense their will be spike in sales at Esoteric in the very near future....