AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM
The Architect

Default New ModWright Gear has arrived!

Time to wake up the ModWright forum - there hasn't been a post here in quite a while...

Inside the boxes are the new LS 300 preamplifier, PH 9.0 phono stage, and the Oppo UDP-205 with MWI tube modifications.

More setup pics and impressions to follow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181003_135146.jpg (94.3 KB, 364 views)
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 AM

Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM

PH 9.0 phono stage is really on my radar and probably my next audio purchase.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Look forward to hearing your impressions that investing 2x the original cost of the unit yields. The mods sound intriguing.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdobson View Post
Look forward to hearing your impressions that investing 2x the original cost of the unit yields. The mods sound intriguing.
Same here. I'm not sure I'd look to Oppo as a primary audio source for that amount of money, but the reviews are very positive.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-04-2018, 05:52 PM

very very nice, congrats
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM
What?

Had a ModWright preamp once, never should have sold it! Great gear, very exciting.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Time to wake up the ModWright forum - there hasn't been a post here in quite a while...

Inside the boxes are the new LS 300 preamplifier, PH 9.0 phono stage, and the Oppo UDP-205 with MWI tube modifications.

More setup pics and impressions to follow

Any impressions to date?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:59 PM
The Architect

First impressions of the new gear so far are all extremely positive. The LS 300 is a significantly better preamp than the LS 36.5 it replaced, especially from a transparency, detail, imaging, and soundstage perspective. It just makes everything sound more natural, realistic and "right". I'm thrilled that I own it, and based on what I've heard so far, I couldn't recommend it more highly!

The PH 9.0 is a tremendous phono stage and a quantum leap better than the relatively inexpensive Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ it replaced. It has brought records up to if not better than the digital sound from my system on well mastered LPs, and I consider it a tremendous value in terms of price/performance.

The modified Oppo 205 is also a leap forward in terms of sound quality in my system. I was able to compare my previous player, the MW Oppo 105, to the stock 205 before I sent it in for mods. The stock 205 had more detail and a bit more open high frequencies, but the MW Oppo 105 sounds much less like a digital source with much better soundstage depth, imaging, and decay. The stock 205 sounds almost two dimensional in comparison. The modified 205 maintains the positive characteristics of the stock 205, and adds back the missing soundstage depth, realism, imaging, and decay. It improves on the modified 105 significantly with regard to detail, extension, and openness. I feel like the investment in the modifications was well worth it for me since I have a very large SACD collection that I still like to listen to.

I'll post some more detailed impressions later as the units continue to break in, along with some updated system pics. I've attached a few pictures of the LS 300 that Dan took before he sent the unit to me so everyone can see what it looks like in more detail.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4666.jpg (90.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4667.jpg (95.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4669.jpg (95.5 KB, 231 views)
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 10-09-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
First impressions of the new gear so far are all extremely positive. The LS 300 is a significantly better preamp than the LS 36.5 it replaced, especially from a transparency, detail, imaging, and soundstage perspective. It just makes everything sound more natural, realistic and "right". I'm thrilled that I own it, and based on what I've heard so far, I couldn't recommend it more highly!

The PH 9.0 is a tremendous phono stage and a quantum leap better than the relatively inexpensive Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ it replaced. It has brought records up to if not better than the digital sound from my system on well mastered LPs, and I consider it a tremendous value in terms of price/performance.

The modified Oppo 205 is also a leap forward in terms of sound quality in my system. I was able to compare my previous player, the MW Oppo 105, to the stock 205 before I sent it in for mods. The stock 205 had more detail and a bit more open high frequencies, but the MW Oppo 105 sounds much less like a digital source with much better soundstage depth, imaging, and decay. The stock 205 sounds almost two dimensional in comparison. The modified 205 maintains the positive characteristics of the stock 205, and adds back the missing soundstage depth, realism, imaging, and decay. It improves on the modified 105 significantly with regard to detail, extension, and openness. I feel like the investment in the modifications was well worth it for me since I have a very large SACD collection that I still like to listen to.

I'll post some more detailed impressions later as the units continue to break in, along with some updated system pics. I've attached a few pictures of the LS 300 that Dan took before he sent the unit to me so everyone can see what it looks like in more detail.

Excellent- thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing if there is additional improvement over time.