AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Default LS100 up and running.

Just fired up the LA100 and I don't even know where to begin. Better detail and separation with a wider sound stage than my C220. Mid's are stronger as is the bottom end with more attack and decay. I tell you I cannot wait to see what a different CDP and phono stage will be able to accomplish. The gentleman I picked the LS100 from also had a Mullard GZ34 and two Sophia Electra 6SN7's, the recommended tube upgrades as per Modwright. They only have about 200 hrs on them so some additional break in is required. And not a bad deal at about half on regular MSRP.
So back to listening and boxing up the C220 for it's new owner. After that more research on CDP's while I watch the Saints and 49er's game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1545954625.jpg (8.5 KB, 131 views)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Learning to Listen

Congratulations!

I've heard of Modwright, but never really understood what folks were talking about. Just now went onto their web site. Interesting company and history. I see that a store near me has at least a pre-amp. I'll have to go have a listen.

Enjoy!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM

I have a LS100 with the same Mullard GZ34, but chose the Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181"Z" over the Sophias. I put about 500 hours on each set before going back and forth. The Sophias are marvelous tubes. Had I started with them, (I started with the BT), I probably would have stopped. The BTs give me a little more warmth, sweetness, and are just a tad more romantic sounding, which is what I wanted.

Maybe if you get a chance down the road, try a pair of the BT's. I did try the new BT version (CV-181"T"), but liked the "Z" version better.

Whatever you end up with for tubes, this is a WONDERFUL preamp!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudio
I have a LS100 with the same Mullard GZ34, but chose the Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181"Z" over the Sophias. I put about 500 hours on each set before going back and forth. The Sophias are marvelous tubes. Had I started with them, (I started with the BT), I probably would have stopped. The BTs give me a little more warmth, sweetness, and are just a tad more romantic sounding, which is what I wanted.

Maybe if you get a chance down the road, try a pair of the BT's. I did try the new BT version (CV-181"T"), but liked the "Z" version better.

Whatever you end up with for tubes, this is a WONDERFUL preamp!
Thanks for adding your perspective! If the seller hadn't had the Mullard and the Sophia's I might have started another way but with less than 200 hrs on the tubes I couldn't let them pass @ $150 which is about what one Mullard would have cost. What I really to do it get se hrs on them and see how things open up.

AND WELCOME TO AF!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Just fired up the LA100 and I don't even know where to begin. Better detail and separation with a wider sound stage than my C220. Mid's are stronger as is the bottom end with more attack and decay. I tell you I cannot wait to see what a different CDP and phono stage will be able to accomplish. The gentleman I picked the LS100 from also had a Mullard GZ34 and two Sophia Electra 6SN7's, the recommended tube upgrades as per Modwright. They only have about 200 hrs on them so some additional break in is required. And not a bad deal at about half on regular MSRP.
So back to listening and boxing up the C220 for it's new owner. After that more research on CDP's while I watch the Saints and 49er's game
Hi Don (and any other LS100 owners)

I'm new to the forum and realize this thread has been dormant for 6 wks or so, but thought I'd ask about your ongoing impressions of the LS100. I'm considering picking one up and very much appreciate owner's commentary after the pre has been in their system for a while ... i.e. is the honeymoon over or still unfolding

Thanks kindly,

Todd
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Genuflector

Well... I just stepped over that line from consideration to check-writing. Will be receiving this bad boy in a week or so. Very excited to re-introduce valves into the signal path.

I've also decided to double down on well recorded SACD purchases. So next up, a rip-roaringly good SACD player will be ambling into the acquisition cross-hairs.

I'm considering an Oppo-BDP95 with MW truth-mod. Would be very interested to hear other's opinions on favorite SACD source equipment.

Cheers

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Congratulations! Keep us updated.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
Would be very interested to hear other's opinions on favorite SACD source equipment.

Cheers

There are several of us here that are very happy with the overall performance of the MCD-1100. It is an great all around performer as a CD player, a DAC and SACD player.

Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
There are several of us here that are very happy with the overall performance of the MCD-1100. It is an great all around performer as a CD player, a DAC and SACD player.
Jim.......A BIG +1.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 AM

I have tried this pre on several occasions and it is a steal for the price. The LS100 in combination with the KWA 150 is a match made in heaven.
Highly recommended!