AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:26 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Update regarding the Lumin P1...

I've been racking up more and more hours on the Lumin P1, and I continue to be more and more impressed with it. I estimate I've got 100 or so hours of burn-in on it, as i sometimes leave it on overnight, with the integrated amp powered off, but the P1 on with music files running through it.

I calculated the other day that by using the P1 with a direct fiber optical l connection, I was able to eliminate a significant number of "devices" from the streaming reproduction chain: no need for an Ethernet switch in the main rack, no need for an LPS for that Ethernet switch, no need for a network bridge, so no need LPS for the network bridge, AND...no need for power cords for those power supplies, AND... no need for an Ethernet cable or a USB cable. That’s…six, count 'em six, fewer “components” overall in the signal path from music server to DAC.

Just yesterday I put all the "networked music server" components onto a Shunyata PS10 power distributor in the "remote music server room", and that brought about a significant increase in audio quality. Things have come a long way since the venerable little Hydra 4.

Anyhoo...the P1 continues to impress me with it's performance for any and all high-end audiophile attributes that we tend to "geek out" about.

More to the point, it just makes MUSIC, and in a most wonderful way, indeed.

Paired with the luscious Constellation Inspiration integrated amp, which I'm still listening to as my dual-mono power supplies for my First Sound preamp only arrived just today after being upgraded with Shunyata's latest CCI-X noise filters, this combination makes for an exceedingly musical "perfect pairing", if you ask me.

More later, count on it, but in the meantime, I'm goin' back to listening to some pretty wonderful music.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-18-2022 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:35 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Just an update on my Lumin P1: I now have >400 hours of burn-in on my Lumin P1 (which replaced my First Sound preamp, SOtM network bridge, and Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC), and just as the nice folks at Lumin have said, once you get past 400 hours on the P1, things get considerably better. I honestly didn't understand how that was possible, but sure enough, once I got past 400 hours, what was already a VERY impressive integrated streamer, DAC, and preamp just..."EXPLODED" with a notable increase in overall audio quality: increased resolution, clarity, depth, imaging, soundstage, detail, articulation, dimensionality, presence, and most importantly, unparalled expression of tonality, timbre, and musicality. I continue to be "blown away" by just how good the P1 is...and, from what I've read, it will continue to improve past 500 hours. I know my comments appear to be "waxing poetic", but...goddam!

I had a good audio buddy over a couple weeks ago, before I had 400 hours on the P1, and he is very knowledgeable about music and very discriminating, and I let him listen to tracks of his choice, and he remarked that he heard things in the presentation by the P1 on tracks he knew really, really well that he had literally NEVER heard before. So, he left VERY impressed, as well.

Honestly, I'd rank the P1 in the top 5 or 6 components I have EVER heard, along with products from Technical Brain, DarTZeel, TAD, Esoteric, and Constellation. And while not inexpensive, I think the Lumin P1 provides an exceptional value proposition, on the whole, especially when one considers they're getting a veritable SOTA streamer, DAC, and pre-amp in a single "box". I used to think that in order to obtain maximal perforance, one needed a seperate streamer/network bridge, DAC and preamp. But...the Lumin P1 proved me entirely wrong on that front. It's not only been an illuminating journey, but an informative and educational one, as well. And, I know some guys will read this and still say to themselves, "Yeah, well, that's all well and good, PC, but...I still need a separate streamer/network bridge, DAC, and preamp."

Look, I get it...I used to think that, too. But the P1 proved me to be completely wrong on that point.

And, now my view is: "No...you DON'T."

Bottom-line: when it comes to a streamer, DAC, and preamp, I'm...done. And...VERY happy.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:03 AM

Congratulations! The P1 looks incredible. Did you have a chance to compare the P1 to the T3?
Old 01-07-2023, 03:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan View Post
Congratulations! The P1 looks incredible. Did you have a chance to compare the P1 to the T3?
No, i haven't. Once I heard the P1, I knew I was...DONE.

See all this gear?

All the gear inside the red borders (and even more gear you can't see that are cables) is now...GONE. 15 bits o' gear! Gone!

All replaced by the single box on the leff middle shelf....

And...it sounds SO GOOD it continues to blow my mind every time I sit down for an evening of listening (the fully segmented Shunyata Altaira system helps, here, too).

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-07-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:47 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Just an update: As mentioned above, I'm now fairly past the 400 hour "burn-in" point for the Lumin P1, and it continues to impress with just how good, no amazing, it is. The Lumin P1 is proving to be not only one of the most MUSICAL audio components I've ever heard, as well as one of the most SATISFYING.

Listening to Mozart's Variations in C "Lison Dormait", K264 by the etraordinary Yeol Eum Son on Onyx, and the P1's abilty to render power, dynamism, scale yet subtlety along with shadings of tonality, timbre, spatiality, hall ambience, and "intimacy", just to name a few musical attributes it presents and delivers supremely well, leave me "gobsmacked", as the Brits say.

I'll post a more detailed set of impressions over the weekend if I can tear myself away, but...Good Lord.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-14-2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:50 AM

Hey Stephen - thought I would move this over to the P1 thread (from the System Integration thread) - your earlier reply re: using the P1 as the system preamp is below -

Question: Do you use the P1 volume control ('LEEDH') also for analog inputs? Have you compare to traditional volume control for analog? Linn does similar for their Klimax systems.

"Yep! Via RCA from the EAR 324 output to one of the P1's RCA inputs. In this application, the P1 functions "merely" as a preamp. Annnd.. it's one a helluva preamp. I have an amazing preamp, the fully dual-mono First Sound Presence Deluxe tube preamp with Paramount SE upgrade and dual-mono external power supplies, and...I use the P1 as my pre.

This configuration lets me toggle between digital music content from the Roon music server in the remote server room via optical to the streamer/DAC section or via the phono stage with the Lumin remote (which is really beautiful, BTW, and made in Austria, IIRC.)"

Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hey Stephen - thought I would move this over to the P1 thread (from the System Integration thread) - your earlier reply re: using the P1 as the system preamp is below -

Question: Do you use the P1 volume control ('LEEDH') also for analog inputs? Have you compare to traditional volume control for analog? Linn does similar for their Klimax systems.
Yep, I use it for everything, even when I spin LPs. I have the EAR 324 connected to one of the P1's analog inputs, and use the P1 as my preamp. I set the Inspiration's volume to unity gain, and I use the P1's LEEDH volume control to set final output volume. It's the best "volume control" I've ever used. Can't remember specifically if I posted a reference to the LEEDH technology, which was developed in Europe, so I've linked it again here. That's what I really like about Lumin, they don't suffer from "not invented here" syndrome. If there's a best way to implement a technology or functon for their products, they just do it. Lumin just does not f*ck around. And..it shows in the quality and functionality of their products.

https://www.processing-leedh.com

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-15-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:30 PM

Here is my LUMIN U1 with the XP1 power supply. Please wear headphones.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:32 PM

Listen with headphones
Old 05-15-2023, 07:33 PM

Why can’t I post a video ?