AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ventoux.......Thanks for the nod. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 PM

Hey Jon, one thing I will add. This I suppose is a slight negative. BUT I was expecting the 2301's to be warmer than the 601's. Well maybe warmer is the wrong description. But the 2301's are actually more detailed. Like a lot more detailed of symbols and voices. I wasn't thinking they would be muffled but the details have surprised me. Someone mentioned the woofers. I use dual subs that have a crossover special filter for the CLX but these speakers have a full bass panel. The 601s did present a little tighter and more refined low end. Weird that with subs one can still hear that. But it's there. Not huge but noticeable.

My Martin Logan CLXs are super revealing. And at times at loud levels the 601s and CLX could be a tad edgy. Granted I am truly splitting hairs here. The 2301s even played very loud do not possess any of that.

I wouldn't mind them being a little warmer. One thing I have yet to try is the 4ohm taps. I used the 8ohm setting on the 601s and preferred it. There was more air. Perhaps the 4ohm setting might tame that a bit.

Another option is going to warmer tubes. But that is so subjective on what to get. It's kind of intimidating.

Again, this is very minor but worth stating.

I am also in the minority here that likes the grilles off!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:54 AM

The 2301 is a hybrid with a SS gain stage... where as the 275 will have a more classic tube signature, the 2301 sounds more pure and detailed. Personal preference here, I’ve owned both.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Hey Jon, one thing I will add. This I suppose is a slight negative. BUT I was expecting the 2301's to be warmer than the 601's. Well maybe warmer is the wrong description. But the 2301's are actually more detailed. Like a lot more detailed of symbols and voices. I wasn't thinking they would be muffled but the details have surprised me. Someone mentioned the woofers. I use dual subs that have a crossover special filter for the CLX but these speakers have a full bass panel. The 601s did present a little tighter and more refined low end. Weird that with subs one can still hear that. But it's there. Not huge but noticeable.

My Martin Logan CLXs are super revealing. And at times at loud levels the 601s and CLX could be a tad edgy. Granted I am truly splitting hairs here. The 2301s even played very loud do not possess any of that.

I wouldn't mind them being a little warmer. One thing I have yet to try is the 4ohm taps. I used the 8ohm setting on the 601s and preferred it. There was more air. Perhaps the 4ohm setting might tame that a bit.

Another option is going to warmer tubes. But that is so subjective on what to get. It's kind of intimidating.

Again, this is very minor but worth stating.

I am also in the minority here that likes the grilles off!
Awesome. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The 2301 is a hybrid with a SS gain stage... where as the 275 will have a more classic tube signature, the 2301 sounds more pure and detailed. Personal preference here, I’ve owned both.
Thank you.
Good to know. I’ve been a HUGE fan of the 275 for some time now.
It’s not like you can hop in the car, visit your local audio shop to compare the two....well, MAYBE Audio Classics would have the 275 / 2301 set up to compare.
I will say, I love, love, love the 275.
Funny, that’s how I would describe my new 312....very detailed. I listened to a 20 year old Robert Plant CD the other night and heard NEW things...and I’ve literally listened to that cd well over a 100 times.

Last edited by JWJW; 05-22-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Yea NO ONE in 1000 mile radius had the 2301's to demo

I heard once but with a totally different setup in New Orleans. I got these based on the glowing reviews and knowing on worse case scenario I would just love them and not LOVE them

But I LOVE them. And I am still tweaking my room with treatments. Different cables etc..

Not sure where you live but you are more than welcome to come here my setup. I flew up to Milwaukee about 1.5 years ago to hear the Logan CLX. No one had them.

Boom. I own them.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
....well, MAYBE Audio Classics would have the 275 / 2301 set up to compare.
Generally speaking, Audio Classics does have a pair of 2301's set up in a room along with a 275, 452 and at times the 1.25's. With a day or so notice, one can pretty much hear anything with anything McIntosh makes. Most likely, your 312 could be tossed into the mix as well.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:55 AM

As Tim has noted, the MC 2301 is not 'tubey' sounding. It does not sound at all like the MC 275 and I own both. To me it is in another league altogether. I did a short review comparing the 275, 2102, and 2301. It is dated I think but still relevant:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13003

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Merry Christmas to all

I have now owned my pair of MC2301 power amplifiers for seven and a half years. The honeymoon is still in full swing. On any given day I am mesmerized from the first note to the last. These amplifiers make you forget about the gear. They are as transparent as premium crystal glass. They disappear, leaving only the music and you in the room. I am as enamored with my MC2301's today as I was on day one. For me, they are the perfect power amplifiers.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Thank you.
Good to know. I’ve been a HUGE fan of the 275 for some time now.
It’s not like you can hop in the car, visit your local audio shop to compare the two....well, MAYBE Audio Classics would have the 275 / 2301 set up to compare.
I will say, I love, love, love the 275.
Funny, that’s how I would describe my new 312....very detailed. I listened to a 20 year old Robert Plant CD the other night and heard NEW things...and I’ve literally listened to that cd well over a 100 times.
Your mention of Plant reminded me that some of my favorite listening with my 2301s is Zeppelin's music incorporating acoustic guitar - the detail, dynamic range and soundstage are revealing in ways that make listening new again. Of course, much of that is true for so much other music with this setup, but Zeppelin is in a league of its own, and something I can relate to back to the days of listening to a transistor radio and my dad's c. 1969 Fisher 400 receiver as a kid.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable