AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 PM

lol.... still in the air between my home town McIntosh and ARC. The tube amp arriving in couple days and I think I might become a glass crazied.....

But we will see....
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
lol.... still in the air between my home town McIntosh and ARC. The tube amp arriving in couple days and I think I might become a glass crazied.....

But we will see....
Randy.......This is a can of worms I think you'll be happy you opened.

I believe I can already see an Audio Research preamp AND amplifier in your system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 AM

hehe... maybe ...
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
I am seriously considering a pre-owned LS26... if I did this the Benchmark would be put into pure DAC and headphone amp mode....

Any honest opinions on this pre-amplifier? Is it worth it or should I save for a LS27 or current model LS28. I don't believe I will be affording a Reference any time soon.
Hi Randy,
I've used an LS26 for a number of years driving a Mac MC402 with Magnepan 3.7s. Used prices on Agon for the LS26 are pretty attractive, especially compared to used LS27 and new LS28 prices. I have not heard either the 27 or 28, but everything I have read indicates they have "more" of what the LS26 has. Bottom line is the decision probably comes down to whether you want to spend the extra money for the marginal improvement of the two newer models vs the LS26.

I have found that my system with LS26 sounds better running balanced cables throughout, from DAC to pre to amplifier. I usually buy new matched tubes for the LS26 at between 5000-6000 hours. It's one of those things that even though the tubes may not really need to be replaced, once the new ones go in there is a noticeable difference. I'd also point out that if one of the things you are looking for the LS26 to do is to provide some tube warmth to your system, that won't be the case. It is actually quite neutral, probably because the input stage is JFETs. The MC402 adds more warmth to my system than the preamp does. I would expect the same with the LS27 and 28 given the lineage.

Reliability has been rock solid. Have never had any issues at all with the LS26. You wouldn't go wrong with any of the three models. It just comes down to how much you want to spend.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Thank you to everyone for your input! I probably won't be doing anything for some months getting used to switching back and forth with the two amplifiers. Getting a good feel for the differences, etc.

For the time being I will be using the Benchmark DAC3 HGC, which is a very neutral pre-amplifier along with being a suburb DAC and headphone amplifier.

So we will see how it works out and then decided if I want to add a separate pre-amplifier to the system versus simply using the Benchmark.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 AM

The benchmark might be a good dac, but adding a good dedicated pre is a huge improvement. I've compared my k03 vs my ref6 as a pre, and it's almost a joke. The Ref6 destroyed the k03. This is why I think you should replace that before the power amp.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM

However the power amp's already been purchased and in transit...
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
However the power amp's already been purchased and in transit...
Well Randy should ask us BEFORE purchasing next time
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Hehe... nah, it was an opportunity to grab this little classic amp and try it out. It is not like it was a huge investment, but instead a little change in sound to play around with.

When adding a pre-amp I have several directions I could go. A good deal on a pre-owned ARC like the LS26, or more for a pre-owned LS27. Quite a bit more for a LS28 which would be in the range of many other choices, and serious research required since trying them all at home is not an option.

I may also have the option of getting back my STP-SE, which really may be an excellent option. The friend who has it has compared it against some of the best out there, CJ, PS Audio, Ayres, McIntosh, on and on, and is very impressed with it.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 02-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 PM

later ARC models are usually more neutral

Control functionality and ergonomics is important in pre-amps when SQ differs little:

I have a LS25 Mk2 which has the nice toggle switches, but has the twist & hold knobs. I'd prefer a stepped control real knob (they can use a digital circuit to read it and keep it out of the signal path).

I like the remote on mine pretty well tho it could be improved.

I'm not fond of the way the LS26 display works... the LS25 has a series of LEDs which change position like a degree wheel as the knob is twisted, which is better I think.