AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Phoenix Engineering provides top notch customer service

Last Sunday I was in the studio spinning some vinyl when I noticed my RoadRunner Tachometer that displays my Michell Gyro SE platter speed was not displaying the platter RPM's. There was only dashed lines on the display. I fiddled with the connector for the magnet sensor and the connector for the power supply with no success. Going to Phoenix Engineering's website I used their Contact form and explained my dilemma. First thing Monday morning I received an email from Bill Carlin directing me to perform some trouble shooting steps to determine a course of action. I followed his directions and discovered my tachometer sensor had failed. In a follow up email I let Bill know what I discovered. He immediately emailed back and said a new sensor was on the way.

Today I received the new RoadRunner tachometer sensor. It took less than five minutes to remove the defective sensor and install the new one. I pressed the Start button on my Michell turntable platter motor and was pleased to see my RoadRunner Tachometer back up and running.

This level of customer service and rapid response to solve an issue deserves to be applauded. Phoenix Engineering did not hesitate for a moment to take the necessary steps to ensure my RoadRunner Tachometer was repaired in the least number of steps. I am very pleased with how my issue was handled and the problem solved. A big thumbs-up to everyone at Phoenix Engineering for making great products and in particular to Bill Carlin for providing me with top notch customer service.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-02-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Dan... thanks for sharing; I too love their products!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ivan.......I was impressed at the speed with which my emails were answered and the clear and easy to follow instructions provided that allowed me to identify whether it was the tach sensor or the tachometer that was the issue. Great customer service by any standard.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Definitely considering a PE product when I order my new VPI table (vs the one available from VPI). Posts like these just help to make the decision easier.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 09-03-2016, 03:48 PM

This type of support and customer care is very influential for me.

Thank you!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:35 PM

Dan, out of curiosity do you feel you get value out of the Roadrunner without having the Falcon to correct any speed issues that may come up? I'm curious about adding the Roadrunner to my Classic 2, but if the speed is off there isn't really anything I can do since I've got a DC motor in mine. I suppose I could move the belt to the different notches in the pully, but beyond that I wouldn't be able to do much other than get upset
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Dan, out of curiosity do you feel you get value out of the Roadrunner without having the Falcon to correct any speed issues that may come up? I'm curious about adding the Roadrunner to my Classic 2, but if the speed is off there isn't really anything I can do since I've got a DC motor in mine. I suppose I could move the belt to the different notches in the pully, but beyond that I wouldn't be able to do much other than get upset
Steve.......Yes, I get value from my RoadRunner tachometer because I use the Michell Never Connected Power Supply to supply voltage to the DC motor in the Michell Gyro SE turntable. The Never Connected Power Supply provides +/- speed adjustment. I had no reference for adjusting my platter speed for best accuracy without the Roadrunner Tachometer. As you can see from the photo above I am able to dial in 33.340 RPM. When I first introduced the RoadRunner Tach to the Michell Gyro SE my platter rotation was 34.650 RPM, but I wasn't aware of it. The Phoenix Engineering RoadRunner tachometer helped me correct the speed anomaly.

I wish Phoenix Engineering would develop a DC power supply for the Michell DC motor that uses the RoadRunner tachometer in the same way their AC power supply works. I would buy one if they did. The Michell Never Connected Power Supply speed adjustment is done using a tiny screwdriver through a small hole to a slotted potentiometer. Perfectly accurate speed adjustments are difficult to achieve. It would be great to have a power supply that referenced the tachometer for accurate speed.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:28 AM

Ah, that makes sense if you're able to adjust the speed. My concern is that I can't really do anything if I see that the speed is off. I suppose it could help me know when I need to replace the belt and the accumulated time feature seems like a nice bonus as well.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Steve.......I wonder if you were able to control the AC voltage whether that would impact the DC voltage output of your turntable power supply. Perhaps a variac transformer that can boost or reduce AC voltage would do the same for the DC convertor voltage. In that way you could control platter speed.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Dan, I suspect that a voltage regulator is used that fixes the output at 24VDC. I'm sure the speed is dead on, there is supposedly a sine wave regenerator within the TT similar to what's used in the SDS. I'm sure the speed is spot on, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy