AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I wonder if Dan designed the tone controls with a detent and true bypass on this new integrated amp?
Dan
It is supposed to be true bypass just as they are in the pre-amp.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Dan
It is supposed to be true bypass just as they are in the pre-amp.
Jim.......The reason I made mention of the detent in the controls is I have heard the D'Agostino preamp's Bass and Treble controls do not have a detent so it would be difficult to know when the tone controls were truly bypassed. Personally, I prefer a switch that bypasses the tone circuit all together so that you can make direct comparisons of a particular tone setting and flat.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Jim.......The reason I made mention of the detent in the controls is I have heard the D'Agostino preamp's Bass and Treble controls do not have a detent so it would be difficult to know when the tone controls were truly bypassed. Personally, I prefer a switch that bypasses the tone circuit all together so that you can make direct comparisons of a particular tone setting and flat.
Dan, the bottom row right hand button on the left side of the front panel and also duplicated on the remote control turns on/off any power to the tone controls.

http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/ma...ino_Preamp.pdf
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Thank you. I enjoyed the review as well. It seems that I remember the preamp originally did not have a tone bypass feature. Am I mistaken? Was the addition of tone bypass a running production change? I am pleased to see the tone bypass. In my opinion it is essential when tone controls are implemented on a preamplifier at this level of performance. I will be looking forward to the reviews and owner comments one the D'Agostino integrated amplifier is available.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Jim.......Thank you. I enjoyed the review as well. It seems that I remember the preamp originally did not have a tone bypass feature. Am I mistaken? Was the addition of tone bypass a running production change? I am pleased to see the tone bypass. In my opinion it is essential when tone controls are implemented on a preamplifier at this level of performance. I will be looking forward to the reviews and owner comments one the D'Agostino integrated amplifier is available.
I think what concerned some individuals is that there is no zero position on the bass and treble. No one makes a 13 position control so D'Agostino has 6steps for plus and 6 steps for negative. You cannot have zero on treble and plus one on bass because there is no zero, just off. During a demo Dan showed how subtle the 1 position is. No one could easily tell when the tone controls were on or off if the +1or -1 positions were chosen.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim........Again, thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I would be inclined to operate the preamp in tone bypass mode rather than have a subtle +1 or -1 on either of the Bass or Treble controls, but that's just me.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 AM

Uncompromised integrated amp by providing the same power supply on the dedicated amp into this. What about power supply for the preamp section? Will the preamp section draw from the "power amp" power supply?

Why then is it uncompromised? Just being nit picky for $45,000.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Jim........Again, thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I would be inclined to operate the preamp in tone bypass mode rather than have a subtle +1 or -1 on either of the Bass or Treble controls, but that's just me.
Dan
I doubt I would ever use them either. When I had the pre-amp in my system For about a week I never used them.

If you look a the lab report in the review I previously linked. I think you will see that the tone controls are pretty innocuous in the 1 position.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Yes, I saw that position one represented a mere plus or minus 1 dB centered on 1kHz. More measurable than truly audible with the exception of those with Golden Ears.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post

Dan D'Agostino's long-awaited Momentum Integrated has finally come to fruition. The original plan was to make it a multifunction device with streaming and digital functionality, but the finished product is essentially a combination of circuit boards from the Momentum Preamplifier and Stereo power amplifier in a chassis that's not as deep as the separates but makes up for it with height. This is because the power supply is underneath the distinctive copper-flanked casework. Dan D'Agostino explained that he built the Momentum Integrated because he saw demand for a totally uncompromised integrated amp -- that's why this model has the same transformer as the Momentum Stereo power amplifier and delivers 200Wpc into 8 ohms and 800Wpc into 2 ohms. It has a copper-and-aluminum "thermal engine" to provide cooling. The price is $45,000, and it will begin to ship in March.
I'm sure the $45,000 price will bring D'Ag products to a "broader market"....

This integrated is twice the price of a DarTZeel CTH-8550....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.