AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 PM

I have had excellent customer service from McIntosh. Years ago, I had a local authorized service center damage an integrated amp I had that was in for a bulb and glass replacement. This was an older unit and no longer under warranty so the parts and repairs were on me. After three attempts by the service center to repair what they had damaged, I contacted McIntosh to explain the situation. McIntosh asked that I send the integrated amp to them and that they would repair the damage that the service center had done. After about three weeks, I was informed that the repairs had been made and that there would be no charge.

When the integrated amp was returned to me, it looked and performed like it was brand new. I think they even replaced the volume control because it worked better than it ever had. The unit also arrived in a brand-new factory box that was also free of charge (I didn’t have a factory box to ship it in).

I believe this was above and beyond for McIntosh had no obligation to make the repairs as it was out of warranty and was technically a private issue between me and the repair shop. McIntosh informed me that because it was an authorized service center, they felt obligated to make things right. I was ecstatic. Also, from what I understand, they rushed the service.

Last edited by Stahle; 03-22-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
(...) When I lived in Europe Mercedes was for butchers, bankers and Taxi's.
Replace "bankers" with "construction subcontractors" and you've the traditional reputation of the brand in Europe. These days I think that reputation is fading, but still true.

I've owned many Mercedes and like the brand... I don't fit on those professional categories but heard those comments many times.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I have had excellent customer service from McIntosh. Years ago, I had a local authorized service center damage an integrated amp I had that was in for a bulb and glass replacement. This was an older unit and no longer under warranty so the parts and repairs were on me. After three attempts by the service center to repair what they had damaged, I contacted McIntosh to explain the situation. McIntosh asked that I send the integrated amp to them and that they would repair the damage that the service center had done. After about three weeks, I was informed that the repairs had been made and that there would be no charge.

When the integrated amp was returned to me, it looked and performed like it was brand new. I think they even replaced the volume control because it worked better than it ever had. The unit also arrived in a brand-new factory box that was also free of charge (I didn’t have a factory box to ship it in).

I believe this was above and beyond for McIntosh had no obligation to make the repairs as it was out of warranty and was technically a private issue between me and the repair shop. McIntosh informed me that because it was an authorized service center, they felt obligated to make things right. I was ecstatic. Also, from what I understand, they rushed the service.
Exemplary customer service above and beyond the call of duty.

This is far more telling, more indicative of customer care and carries far more weight than the response to a casual email may have - at least IMHO.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM

All anybody has to really go by is their own experience. The equipment and one's interactions such as they may be are two entirely different aspects. I don't expect anybody to spend hours with me on the phone and as a former rep for many audio products, I know that you can run out of time before you run out of customers asking questions. That's no excuse for terse or cold interactions.

I don't believe in extended break in either but I'd never critique a person for saying they do (or don't). How they respond to any given question, however, is another story. My singular experience with the factory resulted from a supposed software update on my preamp (the update was reported here, by the way) that my dealer had no info on. Either he or I had to call the factory and we agreed I would do that.

My reply from the factory was cold, uninviting and terse to the point of being almost non existent. Thus was my opinion formed. It may be the case that Chuck was having a bad day or took my question as a challenge (it was not) but as a result, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth after buying $15K of their gear 30 days prior to my call. I enjoy the equipment and consider it excellent and am pleased with my selection but I will never call the factory again. If that was their intent, to discourage any contact with them, they succeeded.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
My reply from the factory was cold, uninviting and terse to the point of being almost non existent. Thus was my opinion formed. It may be the case that Chuck was having a bad day or took my question as a challenge (it was not) but as a result, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth after buying $15K of their gear 30 days prior to my call. I enjoy the equipment and consider it excellent and am pleased with my selection but I will never call the factory again. If that was their intent, to discourage any contact with them, they succeeded.
Under the circumstances you have described, you have every right to feel "put out". In your shoes, I would write a letter laying out the situation in full, politely expressing my disappointment.

The printed word usually gets better results over the electronic one. I think it would go a long way in obtaining the satisfaction you rightfully deserve.

If you do, please let us know how they respond. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post

The printed word usually gets better results over the electronic one. I think it would go a long way in obtaining the satisfaction you rightfully deserve.
Thanks, a good suggestion and certainly the right way to deal with it. I'll gird up and write a note and keep you posted. As a fan of the gear and the design philosophy, it's probably the right thing to do both for them and for me.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:09 PM

I have only had positive interactions over the phone and email. I have serviced more than one component at their facility. Shipping, communication, and turn around time all fit my expectations.

Mind you, I think of Mcintosh as I think of Patek Philippe: in matters of high end anything, you should never be in a hurry, and you should never keep the staff away from their stations too long or too often. These enterprises are small by any measure, and usually understaffed and overworked. The degree of quality control and level of sophistication/complication in the product they offer demand most of their time and effort. I usually contact them twice: the day I request help/service, and the day I pay for/arrange delivery of such.

Maybe I am too naive, but it keeps me from losing my marbles over non-life threatening, or non-life changing matters. Plus every time these guys have to be at the phone or the computer talking to me, someone else's job is delayed, and vice-versa.

JMHO,
Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post

Maybe I am too naive, but it keeps me from losing my marbles over non-life threatening, or non-life changing matters. Plus every time these guys have to be at the phone or the computer talking to me, someone else's job is delayed, and vice-versa.

JMHO,
I thought interfacing with the customer was his job. But enough from me! I don't want to make more of this than I already have, so this is my last word on the subject, at least for the moment. I hope you're relieved by that.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM

I think you were right from the beginning my friend.
I was just stating how I deal with these situations to better fit my state of mind/mental health[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] We all deal with the same reality in different ways... none is wrong as long as it fits your lifestyle and personality[emoji106]
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM

I find that there are two brands that seem to polarise people: McIntosh and Linn (specifically LP12s). I own both!

I can't figure it out but I also don't spend too much time trying to figure it out.

I can tell you one thing though. When I speak to my local McIntosh dealer and mention an interest in a non-McIntosh brand, even one they don't carry, they never tell me it isn't good or make attempts to put it down.

But that's not the experience I've had elsewhere when it comes to McIntosh.

As a result I rarely mention my system on other forums.