AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Sports

Sports Place for all to discuss different sports

Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
With all due respect, this is one of the most misguided things I think I’ve ever read on AA. Among 50 others reasons I can think of, did you have any idea that the largest attended football/soccer game during the last men’s World Cup was not in Russia but in Atlanta during an MLS playoff game? One of The reasons that American football is so popular here is because the games do not end after 90 plus minutes in a 0-0 tie. NFL football athletes are the strongest most conditioned athletes in the world and would make rugby athletes look ridiculous if there were ever some type of comparison. Aside from men’s soccer, there is a reason the US dominates team sports and the summer olympics....if the US’s best athletes actually cared and wanted to complete in soccer, they would most likely dominate there as well but the best athletes in the US have no reason or desire to play soccer, rugby etc since no one here cares.

- Buck
Hi Buck,

I'm not disputing your post, I agree, if the USA played Cricket & Rugby with your top athletes, you would be World Beaters- that fact that you don't is what I'm trying to say.

I wasn't being derogatory, just saying that your top 2 sports are not played anywhere else, so you miss out on World Tournaments- I know you probably don't care about that- I was just saying.

Sorry, I've had no sleep for 6 weeks watching the World Cup- it doesn't start here until 9.30pm & finishes around 6am the following morning- sorry I apologize for being incoherent in my posts :-)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Hi Buck,

I'm not disputing your post, I agree, if the USA played Cricket & Rugby with your top athletes, you would be World Beaters- that fact that you don't is what I'm trying to say.

I wasn't being derogatory, just saying that your top 2 sports are not played anywhere else, so you miss out on World Tournaments- I know you probably don't care about that- I was just saying.

Sorry, I've had no sleep for 6 weeks watching the World Cup- it doesn't start here until 9.30pm & finishes around 6am the following morning- sorry I apologize for being incoherent in my posts :-)
No worries, I guess the take home message is please don't feel sorry for us, the state of America sports is just fine I promise!
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-11-2019, 12:44 AM

Yes, please do not feel sorry for US! Besides Football, Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Golf we have a slew of other very entertaining sports such as Hot Dog Eating Contests, Monster Truck Rallies, Mud Pit Belly Flops, Armpit Serenades, Beer Pong and a whole bunch of other wildly entertaining Redneck Sports. Trust us, we are NOT bored!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 AM

Congrats!

Do you have kangaroos in New Zealand?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Go Dawgs

Man those hot dog eating contests are gross.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Man those hot dog eating contests are gross.
But very competitive!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM

I say, blighty have broken the golden rule of always going out in World cup ball games in the semi's; expect storms of locusts and fire tornadoes to descend.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
Why oh why don't American's like cricket? Not even a sniff at a 5 min highlight reel even of a genuine World cup. The mind boggles. I'm all for the Ladies World cup, it's kinda our national game, but then so is Cricket, and I genuinely enjoy the highlight reels of Baseball and NFL, heck even Basketball back in the day even, I just don't understand this utter coldness in regard to Cricket. Great result NZ, I really enjoyed it.
I could get into it if I understood it more.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM

I don't understand everything about NFL or Baseball, but I still enjoy 'em. Cricket's quite simple; you score more runs than the opposing team. They run up and down to score 1,2 or three runs. If the ball hits the boundary rope it's 4. A 'home run' is 6 runs. They can be caught by any fielder, and by the guy behind the stumps. There are no 'foul shot's', getting caught behind is common. If the ball is going to hit the stumps but hits the 'at bat's' pads instead, generally he is out, Leg Before Wicket. If the ball from the bowler, or pitcher if you like, hits the stumps and the batsman misses, he is out, there are no three strikes. It is different enough from baseball to confuse. If a batter in baseball fails to make a base run before the ball from the fielder reaches the guy on base and tags him, he is out, in Cricket they can be run out as well, but the ball has to hit the stumps, either from the fielders throw or by the ball being struck on the stumps by a fielder or 'the guy behind the stumps', before the batsman makes his ground. Hope this helps; in baseball they run in a circle, in cricket they run up and down.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
Congrats!

Do you have kangaroos in New Zealand?
No, Australia- we do have Australian Possums & Wallabies here, brought over from across the ditch in the 1800's- They are protected in Australia, but they are pests here & we are trying to exterminate them as they kill native birds (including the kiwi) & destroy native bush.

Their Rugby Team is also called The Wallabies- we have no problem beating them up.