AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Bodhisattva

If you want a speaker which can rock out and has bass which can kick like the proverbial mule , check out the Magico S5's which are in a similar price bracket.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Sunny boy1956

Depending on how many family members are dispensable(just kidding) you may want to demo either the Rockport Atria ( more suitable for smaller rooms) or the Avior that I have and is highly recommended.
Best of luck in your journey
Rockport Aviors, Conrad Johnson GAT, Wavac HE 833 V2, Nagra VPS, Lyra Atlas,Miyajima Premium BE Mono and Ortofon Silver Meister SPU, Durrand Talea2 tonearm and Ortofon 309D, TW Acustics AC with Black Night motor + PSU and Garrard 401.Musical Fidelity kw 25 dac + transport.REL G1 x2. Shunyata Triton.Mytek 192 DSD DAC. All cables Cardas Golden Reference.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM

After following this and a couple of recent similar threads I came up with an idea. We should create a thread that lists every current speaker made. Think of the time we could save by just pointing to that thread and not having to consider the OP, or whether his dealer carries these other lines, or the speakers fit within his budget.

I guess what I am trying to say, lets stop feeling we need to suggest alternatives when someone asks our thoughts on a couple of speakers they are considering.

Last edited by Still-One; 04-12-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Between B&W and Wilson Audio, my choice has always been Wilson Audio. I've heard old and new speakers of both brands. Wilson speakers are superior in all aspects. Here in Brazil B&W 802Diamond and Wilson Audio Sasha cost almost the same price. I will choose Sasha without regrets.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Hallo,
I'm with Bodhisattva. I have the 802di, i have the raidho 3.1.

I go liisten for the 3time the S5.

If you search a speaker that give you really pleasure the S5 from Magico is your speaker!!
Hei! I like the Wilson Sasha too but the S5 are really great!
The Q3 and Q5 are very controlled speakers....the S5 is amazing.
The Sasha (well in Switzerland bei Dealer in my country) are more expensive vs. the S5 and after listen this speaker you dont have any doubt.
I love my 802di. of course the S5 and the sasha are another level....
Personally I keep my 802 and I will sell the Raidho and invest the money for the S1 (LF I have with the B&W..)

If the money are not a problem direct to the S5 plus 802B&W.....

A friend have a Q5 to sell: really bargain (minus from the new price from the S5) but this speaker serie Q is not at the level OF ENJOY from the S serie really!

KR Style
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I never heard those particular VA but all the ones I heard until now always left me completely cold, exactly like Dali speakers.
Analytic and HiFi sound. Really not my cup if tea.
I don't like the Vienna speakers in general. The only pair I like are the "Music" When I was at CES in January that room had the best sound at the show. I went back to that room 3 times it was so good. I have heard most of the other speakers on the market and If I was going to spend 27k for a speaker this would be it. The Wilson and B&W speaker do nothing for me. There are other speakers I like but I'll leave that for another conversation.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM

My two cents...think about what you want to spend and what represents the best value. My approach when in a similar situation was to take my amp and preamp and listen to speakers in my price range. I chose Sasha's for two reasons, I preferred their overall sound and because I could get demo's. I saved 9K vs new. I listened to Rockport, Magico, and I wanted to listen to Vivid, but decided they were out of my price range. What I've learned with Sashas is every component can affect their sound/tonality. I've recently started playing with the source, some CD players make the Sasha's sound dark, another made them sound extremely bright, an older tube CD player(Metronome CD2V Signature) provides more space between instruments, much better front to back placement, just very easy to listen to. Unless I come into a lot of money, I won't sell my Sasha's, because I know my components aren't getting 100% out of the Sasha's. Listen, listen, and listen...let your ears/wallet decide, knowing that there are no "Absolutes" in audio!

Last edited by Ricjor1; 04-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Listen, listen, and listen...let your ears/wallet decide, knowing that their are no "Absolutes" in audio!
Very well said, I agree. One of the big problems I encounter in this hobby is that I can't listen to but a few brands. I wish I could line up a whole day and listen to 20 different brands. But no, in this case, I can't get anything but Sasha's and Sophia's to compare against my 802. I can go to a different store to listen to SF. My dealer carries VA but can't get "The Music". So I am just out of luck there.

So I will compare the two Wilson offerings against my 802's and see what is up. I would only buy them if they do something really well that my 802's can't. I like 802's, so it would have to really impress me to make a change.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Don't be surprised if the major difference in price between the 802 and Sasha doesn't yield a major difference in performance. Just last week I had the opportunity to listen to the Focal Alto Utopia's, the predecessor to the Scala's which are $30k speakers and I came away feeling my 802's faired extremely well against the Alto's. The Alto's for example clearly had deeper bass which was no surprise due to the larger cabinet however I preferred the highs from my 802s. The mids were tricky, I felt the Alto's had a bit warmer mid, I guess I would call it more fluid whereas the 802's are what I would describe as more focused perhaps, a bit more clinical. So if I didn't own the 802's and had been looking to actually make a purchase of a high end speaker for the first time that day it would have came down to the price and looks as it would have been darn near impossible to choose simply based on sound.

I look forward to reading how your demo of the speakers goes.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I guess what I am trying to say, lets stop feeling we need to suggest alternatives when someone asks our thoughts on a couple of speakers they are considering.
Mea Culpa