AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Joe W

Default ET5 coming in to replace ET3SE

A great deal just fell in my lap on an ET5. If what I hear in additional listening sessions warrants I will be making a switch. The downside is I lose the ET3SE's wonderful built in phono stage.

Looking for suggestions for a standalone phono stage in the under 2K price range. I am open to used as well.
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 01-31-2015, 02:33 AM

You could get the ET5 now and add the CJ TEA-2 Phono Stage later. It retails for $5K but there is a mint one on Audiogon for $3,250. Or you could get the Rogue Audio Ares Phone Stage ($1,995), which is a Stereophile recommended component.

Best of luck,
Ken
Old 01-31-2015, 05:57 PM

Congrats. The ET5 is a considerable step up from the ET3SE. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM

It would be good to hear how this came out for you. Did you get the ET5? What did you decide about a phonostage?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Joe W

I have the ET5 and love the improvement in every aspect of the sound of my system. I just purchased a Dynavector P75 MKE phono preamp to match with my 20X2 cartridge which is going on my VPI Prime. I got a great deal trading my VPI HW19 with my either dealer (cheating on Ivan). It is in the process of being set-up.

I will be done with my complete upgrade of my system once my Bryston BOT-1 arrives from Ivan. That assumes i will not buy a new record cleaning machine soon. At that point pictures will need to be posted. I have a huge backlog of new vinyl so this is going to be a weekend dedicated to listening to vinyl.
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM

It seems like you should have a fun weekend. I see you live in Boston. I grew up in Framingham and we still have a house there, but I live in West Palm Beach these days. I strongly recommend that you get a record cleaning machine. I have had a VPI model 17 for over 20 years and it has been bullet proof and makes a big difference and is easy to use. In an older system in Framingham I have a VPI HW-19 mkIII with an SME III and a V15-5MR, which still sounds pretty good to me. Here in Florida I have an SL1200 MK fully modded by KAB and recently added an Ortofon Cadenza Black to a collection of cartridges. This combination is feed to a cj TEA-2MAX and then to the ET5. I just love the sound and listen 3-4 hours every day.

Bill
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Joe W

I have a very old Nitty Gritty 3.5 that is due for replacement. I want a KL Audio but the budget will likely only support a VPI if and when I pull the trigger. I almost bought a CJ TEA-2MAX on audiogon but hesitated to long and it was gone. I need to take a break from upgrades and just enjoy the music for a bit.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM

Smile

[QUOTE=jmw31;700974]I have the ET5 and love the improvement in every aspect of the sound of my system. I just purchased a Dynavector P75 MKE phono preamp to match with my 20X2 cartridge which is going on my VPI Prime. I got a great deal trading my VPI HW19 with my either dealer (cheating on Ivan). It is in the process of being set-up.

I will be done with my complete upgrade of my system once my Bryston BOT-1 arrives from Ivan. That assumes i will not buy a new record cleaning machine soon. At that point pictures will need to be posted. I have a huge backlog of new vinyl so this is going to be a weekend dedicated to listening to vinyl.[/QUOTE About 6 months ago I purchased the Dynavector P75MKIII w/the same 20x2L cart for my Linn TT. It's a great combo. I should match well w/your CJ.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:24 PM

I am considering an upgrade from my PV 14. The ET5, Premier 16, and ACT2 are the ones I am looking at. I lean to the ET 5 since it's newer, got (1)tube to replace, and has teflon caps. I've got some CCa's and Reflectors laying around. What do you guys think?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:44 PM

The ACT2 is a more dynamic preamp and to my taste overall better but the ET5 is also great and may appeal more to some.

Check out Tone Audio review of the ET5, Jeff compares the ET5 to the ACT2. The Prem16 falls behind both.