AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 07-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Retired

Default Sennheiser HD650

Got home from our lunch on the water (Oyster Creek Inn - seafood plate for me - oysters & clams on the half shell, shrimp & a decent helping of crab) and the HD650s ($315 from Amazon) were on the patio (luckily, we have great UPS, Fedex & USPS delivery folks). Was surprised how heavy the box was. When I opened the outer box, the inner box completely filled it. Nicely packaged in a dedicated clamshell box with plenty of foam. Everything was in excellent physical condition.

Was wondering about both the weight and clamping force of the HD650. I found neither to a problem, though my understanding is the clamping force will relax a bit with time. I found the ear-cups to be quite comfortable during the ~1.5 hours I listened.

To start with, I listened to the opera broadcast on WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple Univ. Today it was the Chicago Lyric Opera singing "Eugene Onegin" by Tchaikovsky. The voices were excellent, with plenty of "umph" in this baritone heavy piece. Instruments were also nicely and clearly presented, but it is always difficult to tell how good they should or shouldn't be with a broadcast.

After ~45min of the opera (not one of my favorites) I put Jerry Lee's "Last Man Standing" in the CDP. Good tight bass, but a bit congested sounding in the mids (saxophone). With only an hour of run-time, this is not too surprising.

After the 1.5hr of listening with my chair moved over within 5ft of my amp I had enough of sitting there reading the new 'Stereophile', which also arrived today. Still no discomfort, so that was nice. I left the HD650s running at a moderate level so they will continue to break-in. Will listen a bit more later or tomorrow. Looking forward to the extension cable so I can listen in a more favored position. Will update and add pic's in the next few days. Will also spin some vinyl.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the write up Glenn, I'll chime in with my opinion when mine arrive next week.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Retired

Dave - Looking forward to another perspective.

After just a few additional hours they have smoothed out considerably. Only about 15min standing while listening to some piano (Bill Evans) shows the mids have opened up nicely. Hopefully, that will continue until the cable arrives.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 07-09-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Glenn, I have these cans since 12 years.
I'm very happy with them and feel no urge to upgrade.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Retired

After ~48hr of break-in, the HD650s have smoothed out considerably. Very nice sound. Am impressed with how well they handle the bass end of things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD650.jpg (63.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Got home from our lunch on the water (Oyster Creek Inn - seafood plate for me - oysters & clams on the half shell, shrimp & a decent helping of crab) and the HD650s ($315 from Amazon) were on the patio (luckily, we have great UPS, Fedex & USPS delivery folks). Was surprised how heavy the box was. When I opened the outer box, the inner box completely filled it. Nicely packaged in a dedicated clamshell box with plenty of foam. Everything was in excellent physical condition.

Was wondering about both the weight and clamping force of the HD650. I found neither to a problem, though my understanding is the clamping force will relax a bit with time. I found the ear-cups to be quite comfortable during the ~1.5 hours I listened.

To start with, I listened to the opera broadcast on WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple Univ. Today it was the Chicago Lyric Opera singing "Eugene Onegin" by Tchaikovsky. The voices were excellent, with plenty of "umph" in this baritone heavy piece. Instruments were also nicely and clearly presented, but it is always difficult to tell how good they should or shouldn't be with a broadcast.

After ~45min of the opera (not one of my favorites) I put Jerry Lee's "Last Man Standing" in the CDP. Good tight bass, but a bit congested sounding in the mids (saxophone). With only an hour of run-time, this is not too surprising.

After the 1.5hr of listening with my chair moved over within 5ft of my amp I had enough of sitting there reading the new 'Stereophile', which also arrived today. Still no discomfort, so that was nice. I left the HD650s running at a moderate level so they will continue to break-in. Will listen a bit more later or tomorrow. Looking forward to the extension cable so I can listen in a more favored position. Will update and add pic's in the next few days. Will also spin some vinyl.
Glenn, what are you using for a headphone amp and, what cable are you waiting for?
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 07-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Retired

Jack - Am using the Sony TA-F707ES, a highly regarded 90wpc MOSFET integrated amp with the speakers turned off. Will also be using the Cary SLI-80. Currently listening thru the 10ft cable the HD650 comes with. The 20ft extension cable is a WW Nano-Eclipse, which I've just been alerted, will be arriving tomorrow. Will be interesting to compare the 'before' & 'after' results with the long cable.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
After ~48hr of break-in, the HD650s have smoothed out considerably. Very nice sound. Am impressed with how well they handle the bass end of things.
Wow! My HD650's didn't come with any tubes.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Jack - Am using the Sony TA-F707ES, a highly regarded 90wpc MOSFET integrated amp with the speakers turned off. Will also be using the Cary SLI-80...
Congrats on an excellent headphone.

The Cary SLI-80 is a very good headphone amplifier. I really loved it. From what I've been told, the CAD-300SEI is even better.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Jack - Am using the Sony TA-F707ES, a highly regarded 90wpc MOSFET integrated amp with the speakers turned off. Will also be using the Cary SLI-80. Currently listening thru the 10ft cable the HD650 comes with. The 20ft extension cable is a WW Nano-Eclipse, which I've just been alerted, will be arriving tomorrow. Will be interesting to compare the 'before' & 'after' results with the long cable.
I have the Zu Audio "Mobius" cable and 10ft extension on my Senns and it was a definite improvement over the stock cable and Grado extension. Hope you have a similar experience with the WW.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2