AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Speaker Project Revamp Dynaudio Audience 62’s

New Speaker Project Revamp / major upgrade

Ok I have some Dynaudio Audience 62’s speakers that are upstairs in the living room and they are connected to a separate amp that is also connected to the MX150 control center. I like this mid size Parasound amp since it has 2 sets two jacks and a zone A and zone B switches. I can run either one at a time or both zones. One zone is the living room, the other zone the back deck.

When I built this house I ran miles of wiring through out the 4600 sqft of this 2 story +full basement house. Cat6e several runs to each room, coax cable, phone lines and a lot of very good grade audio quest inside wall cl3 rated cable. Cost a mini fortune at the time, no not as good as your typical 6-10 foot ultra high end cables, but still the same very good stuff to run the other rooms.

So I picked up the Dynaudio’s used as part of a divorce sale for like 1/3rd the price, they were near new, cabinets flawless, I did notice one of the tweeters are higher volumes seemed a little just not right, and one other cabinet had a woofer that was kinda so so failing at time under high power loads, they are 6.5- 7” mid woofers and 1” done tweeters that are similar to the old world class D28s.

So they played fine up to say 40-50 watts constant and 100-120 watt peaks but as I say not right needed a new mid woofer and a tweeter to make them new again. Well being the tweaker that I am and a collector of many high-end drivers when I can find them I did a major overhaul.

I had collected these parts over the past 3 years, and if it was not for another project I have decided to pulled back on I never would have put this much money into the 62’s. However, for me it was more about the fun of the project and the pride of the results etc. However the newly customized 62s are now like one of the Dynaudio top line 2 ways such as a special edition Confidence.

So the tweeters were replaced with the top line Dynaudio Esotar T330D’s matched pair, and the mid drivers also replaced with a matched set of cast framed Dynaudio Esotec 17W75 LQ’s with 75mm voice coils. All above in 4 ohm versions. Of course some internal treatments and mods went into the insides of the cabinets as well!

The crossovers were completely rebuilt and customized not just for the drivers and the room with all the best caps, coils and resisters etc one can get. This was dialed in fairly quickly since I have the specs on the cabinets, the drivers etc and one gets into the ball park using the less expensive caps and coils to get the crossover points, roll-offs for the top and the bottom etc. But once you are locked in it is then time to pop the big $$$s to get the higher end parts and put it all together.

Bottom line is that if Dynaudio made a floor standing 2 way with these drivers and crossovers they would be at least 5-6k a pair easy. I will spare the details for the Clarity caps and other high-end coils + misc parts as this would good one for 2 more pages easy.

My Listening review
So they have been done for a while now and have at least 1000+ hrs on them and they sound flat out accurate and amazing. The imaging of the tweeters is as accurate and detailed as I think I have every heard and the mids are clear, precise, male and female voices are so life like and clean sounding. The imaging is the killer, the separation is wow and the sound stage these guys provide front to rear, side to side and top to bottom is 3d. The amazing thing is that to me the crossover transition from the tweeter to the mid woofer is so smooth it just blends in perfectly.

The bass is tight, very tight and very flat, obviously with a 7” driver you are not moving a lot of air even with a tuned port enclosure. But they measure very flat down to about 37k and then roll off quick. However the impression of the mid bass, upper bass is spot on, the upper low end bass from 60-250 HZ is amazingly pretty darn strong, in fact a few buddies were looking for the sub. No I did not have the F212 on down stairs J If there were larger enclosures and had say 2 7” drivers you would get that much more and I could have tuned them a little deeper, but at the expense of a single driver and wanting to be able to handle more power I choose the later more power and safety while keeping the driver more in it’s comfort zone. And no I could not put in 8”, 9” or larger drivers, these are small as the specs below detail from the factory.

I am ecstatic how good they came out being a custom project with parts I had minus the crossovers I had to design and build to make it all come together. They sound this good driving them with the Parasound which is nice, but it is not a Halo class amp, nor is it a McIntosh 452. I am most likely going to have to do some serious listening with the 452 to really see what they can do. I would expect even fast attack in the sound and maybe a little warmer yet less harsh than the Parasound can deliver. Not that they are harsh now, but you get what I am saying at this level.

Well I will add to most likely the same thread since I have also built, well re-vamped a pair of passive 12” subs that also are the companions to this living room speakers. Again, I have had all the drivers in stock and do a lot of this work for years. The subs were much less to build, and the cost of the subs, and the drivers I upgraded with is less than one of the smallest JL subs all by its self they too sound and came out pretty darn well too. They complement the new 2 ways very well and come in at the 150Hz and below solid to about 27Hz.

These were not connected when the listening test were done of just the modified 62s and with friends. But I have and will detail the results of the modified 62’s with the subs. Pretty darn nice for what is in the investment.

Well enough for now, I will need to get some pics of the speakers and the subs in the room and then do a short write up on the sub project as well. I will put that in a separate document thread and link the two of them.

Thanks for your time!
PS One of these days I guess I need to do a write on my main 3 way 300 lb towers too. And of course the surround speakers I own.

Component specs
AMP Parasound 2250 (250 Watt 8 ohm, 350 watt 4 ohm amp)

20 Hz – 20 kHz, Both Channels Driven
250 watts x 2, 8 Ω
385 watts x 2, 4 Ω
250 watts x 2, 2 Ω
Continuous RMS Power Output
20 Hz – 20 kHz, Bridged Mono
600 watts, 8 Ω
600 watts, 4 Ω
Current Capacity 45 amps peak per channel
Frequency Response
20 Hz - 50 kHz, +0/-3 dB, 1 watt
Dynamic Headroom