AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguru View Post
So the Yvette's are now setup and settling in quite nicely. They are still breaking in (I have about 20 hours on them), but so far I must say I think they are a great match with my 2301's. With this combination I much prefer the sound using the 4 ohm output taps of my amplifiers. First impressions are that the Yvette's have a very similar sonic character to the Sabrina - but just more of everything. They certainly go deeper, and the attack and slam on transients goes up a notch (or two!) as well. I am really enjoying the experience of playing some of my favorite albums and hearing all of the depth and emotion that the Yvette's are able to convey with shocking ease. I have a feeling they will just keep getting better and better as I get more hours on them. I also love her lines. She definitely has quite the bad-ass look!

Congratulations!

I noticed you said Yvette is set up but she is still on wheels. Wheels are fine for break in but Yvette is far from dialed in if she is not on the spikes (with protectors for your floor). An inch is a mile in speaker set up.

Look forward to hearing of your journey once you get her on the spikes.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Congratulations!

I noticed you said Yvette is set up but she is still on wheels. Wheels are fine for break in but Yvette is far from dialed in if she is not on the spikes (with protectors for your floor). An inch is a mile in speaker set up.

Look forward to hearing of your journey once you get her on the spikes.
Yes you are right...I'm still experimenting with positioning so that is why the wheels are still on. It has been a lot of fun, and an education for me, to experiment with the toe-in, distance from front wall, distance from side walls, etc. I totally agree that an inch can make a huge difference. I think I'm getting closer to having them dialed-in to my liking, and at that point will insert the spikes and provide an update.

I want to add that the sound of the Sabrina and Yvette are very similar, with the Yvette having an edge in terms of how low in can go in the bottom end. To my ears, the Yvette also has a deeper and richer sound without sacrificing anything in clarity or neutrality. Yvette also has astonishing "attack" on transients. I think another factor at play between the sonic character of the Sabrina vs. Yvette are the crossover points. Although I know these figures are not published, my understanding is that the Sabrina's 8 inch woofer crosses over at around 300hz (fairly atypical for most Wilson's), whereas the Yvette's 10 inch woofer crosses much sooner at around 150hz (typical for most Wilson's) . I think this helps to give each speaker it's own distinct personality.

Last edited by audioguru; 10-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 AM

I doubt that's nearly the final setup, you still have your other speakers on the inside, I'm sure that changes the game once you move it.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I doubt that's nearly the final setup, you still have your other speakers on the inside, I'm sure that changes the game once you move it.
+1

I was thinking the same thing. The Yvette's will sound much better once moved away from the walls.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
+1

I was thinking the same thing. The Yvette's will sound much better once moved away from the walls.
I have some room limitations in terms of seating position, and other constraints which make moving further away from the side walls not possible at this time. That being said, I am actually quite pleased with the imaging, soundstage, bass response, and overall coherence I am getting from the Yvette in their current position. Every room is different, and every pair of ears are different. Take a look at the pictures of the room where Wilson did their official launch of the Alexia 2 (google "First Listen: Wilson Audio Alexia Series-2 takes my breath away"). You will notice that the speakers are placed relatively close to the side walls, and the overall relationship between the front wall, side walls, and toe in, is very similar to my current setup.

So bottom line, I'm feeling pretty good about my placement and setup.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I have some room limitations in terms of seating position, and other constraints which make moving further away from the side walls not possible at this time. That being said, I am actually quite pleased with the imaging, soundstage, bass response, and overall coherence I am getting from the Yvette in their current position. Every room is different, and every pair of ears are different. Take a look at the pictures of the room where Wilson did their official launch of the Alexia 2 (google "First Listen: Wilson Audio Alexia Series-2 takes my breath away"). You will notice that the speakers are placed relatively close to the side walls, and the overall relationship between the front wall, side walls, and toe in, is very similar to my current setup.

So you are keeping the ML's and switching between them as your mood suits?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I would think not for the Logan's are no where near to being set up correctly. Besides hardwood floors and corners 'beg' for bass trapping !
Old 10-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yes - exactly. I should have mentioned that earlier in my OP. The idea is to have 2 separate amp/speaker combos with the ability to switch between them depending on what kind of music/mood I'm in. Combo A is the ML Summit X/MC 1.2Kw pairing, and Combo B is the Wilson Yvette/MC2301 pairing. I'm thinking about calling it "Beauty" & "The Beast".
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Good color choice. They look great in your room. Next you could add a pair of JLA’s e-subs from Ivan and you might never leave that room again.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:

Those pics are an optical illusion. Your speakers are much closer to the wall than are those Alexia 2s. Also toe in was set to cover a broader area due to large number of listeners. How can I be so sure? Because I put those Alexias where they are.

Rooms are different. So are speakers. However, rarely can the speaker be within the zone of neutrality as close to the wall as you have yours. Also, toe in is based on the zone, width apart and your listening distance from the speaker. Without knowing at least the latter two, it is hard to know exactly what your toe in is relative to what is in Mohammed's Alexia pics.

None of this really matters until you are off the wheels though. Yvette will reward a setup dialed to the nth degree.