AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Sigma Digital vs Alpha NR

Dear Caelin or Grant,

I just bought a brand new Alpha NR based on specs and my experience with my previous bought Sigma Digital.

They are both 8 gauge powercords.
How come the Sigma is slightly larger in diameter?

Based on the specs i expected the new Alpha NR a slightly improved Sigma Digital/Analog.

The Alpha NR is replacing a Python Ztron because of a change in the pre-amp departement. My previous pre-amp had a C19 connector which my new pre-amp hasn’t.
Even the 9 gauge Python is slightly larger in diameter than the 8 gauge Alpha NR.

Maybe it’s a stupid question, but i wasn’t expecting a reduction in size.

I wonder what the explanation is and if it effects the soundquality.

Thanks in advance for your time (and products, they sound amazing).

Sander.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 PM

Hi Sander,

By size reduction, I assume you are referring to the size of the hollow-sleeve when comparing the Sigma models to the Alpha NR's outer tubes. Caelin continually research's and designs to improve not only performance, but also to improve the flexibility and ease of use of the power cords. The Alpha NR is the latest example of an advance in this area. The Sigma NR models are also more flexible and easy to bend than the previous Sigma models. There is also a Sigma EF now, which uses a smaller tube and is made to be as flexible as possible for a 6 gauge aggregate conductor set. The goal is not large and stiff; instead we aim for easy to use, light-weight and flexible.

Although Alpha NR uses an 8 gauge conductor-set, the it is lighter in weight and more flexible than the previous Sigma models. In part, that was accomplished by using the more narrow hollow-core tube that contains the conductors, along with changes in insulation and how the conductors are aligned within the tubes. I would not say the Alpha NR is superior to the previous Sigma models. I would say they are comparable to the older Sigma models, which is a real accomplishment given the Sigmas were $1,000 more in retail price.

Thanks, Sander. I hope this helps.

Grant
Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM

I've the last couple weeks I've had a chance to try 4 different C19 terminated cables to connect my Audioquest Niagara 5000 to the wall.

I have had my trusty Venom HC, a Taipan Alpha Helix, Zitron Python and now an Alpha NR. Each one has had subtle differences.

My my system, the Taipan resulted in a reduction in bass weight, but an improvement in smoothness compared to the Venom. Not sure why. Venom HC and the Taipan are the same gauge, but way different geometry and build.

Next was the Zitron Python - better than the Taipan Alpha. My impressions were that it again improved bass "speed", rhythmic quality and retained some of the smoothness/warmth. Maybe this is illustrative of the Zitron and VTX design. This cable was well-used in terms of hours, but also had been out of any active use for a while.

My dealer offered the Python at 1/2 price. Seems fair considering the original cost. I put a few dozen hours on the Python and felt it was good but something was missing or at least, it wasn't making me feel like spending $1000.00 over the Venom or Taipan.

I took the Python back, exchanged for the Alpha NR which was pulled straight off the display and fully broken in. Immediate impressions, even as an umbilical for a power conditioner is that it's quieter and there's more synergy in my setup. We listened to a few hours of music off Tidal - all good, nothing amiss or lacking. We also watched Annihilation (Natalie Portman) - so/so movie but great sound mixing and lots of thunder and other low-frequency effects. The Alpha NR seems to give more to my system - clarity, bass weight, definition... at least that's my impression.

The rest of my power cords are Alpha HC and (1) Delta NR for the DAC. I think the NR is a keeper but I have a couple more days with it on loan to decide.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM

I moved the Alpha Digital from my dCS Rossini to its clock and inserted a Alpha NR in its place. I was very happy with the results.