AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahon
I think the 24/7 suggestion was only to accelerate the break-in period.
24/7 during break in makes sense. That's what I've done in the past. Four days is 96 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Unlike tubes in amps, tubes in preamps generally have a life expectancy of hundreds of hours. This isn't coming from just Cary, BTW, but from different sources I've read over the years. I'll try to find links. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the "why" can explain. I keep mine on full time and I haven't had to change tubes in the two years I've owned my 05.
Preamp tubes should last thousands of hours. One year is 8,760 hours. I think the tubes would need to be replaced every 10-12 months. They will still operate, but the output will change over time. It's gradual hence more difficult to notice. I bet if you replaced the tubes you would notice a marked improvement in sound.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
24/7 during break in makes sense. That's what I've done in the past. Four days is 96 hours.

Preamp tubes should last thousands of hours. One year is 8,760 hours. I think the tubes would need to be replaced every 10-12 months. They will still operate, but the output will change over time. It's gradual hence more difficult to notice. I bet if you replaced the tubes you would notice a marked improvement in sound.
I have two sets of tubes, which I recently switched in and out for each other while I was troubleshooting an unrelated issue. No noticeable degradation, though I have been planning to buy another set soon. If you called Cary (or Audio Research for that matter), they will tell you the same thing about leaving the preamp on full time, but certainly would explain it better than I can. Of course, turning off the preamp daily will prolong tube life, but there are a lot of other factors that influence tube degradation, such as the quality and design of the preamp and the quality of electrical current it is receiving. I suppose if I was to buy a set of 4 costing well over $1K I would be loath to leave the preamp on full time, no matter how much better it sounded. By the way, "hundreds" was a figure of speech, not meant to imply that preamp tubes would need to replaced shortly after reaching the 1,000 hour mark.

Last edited by asindc; 08-01-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I have two sets of tubes, which I recently switched in and out for each other while I was troubleshooting an unrelated issue. No noticeable degradation, though I have been planning to buy another set soon. If you called Cary (or Audio Research for that matter), they will tell you the same thing about leaving the preamp on full time, but certainly would explain it better than I can. Of course, turning off the preamp daily will prolong tube life, but there are a lot of other factors that influence tube degradation, such as the quality and design of the preamp and the quality of electrical current it is receiving. I suppose if I was to buy a set of 4 costing well over $1K I would be loath to leave the preamp on full time, no matter how much better it sounded. By the way, "hundreds" was a figure of speech, not meant to imply that preamp tubes would need to replaced shortly after reaching the 1,000 hour mark.
I'll keep an open mind about it. I'll probably try to have some questions for Cary once I'm set up and will ask about that as well. Is there a particular person to talk to at Cary? At CJ, it was always Ed until he retired earlier this year.

And.... picking the 05 up from UPS this afternoon!
Unfortunately, my wife has surgery tomorrow (nothing life threatening), so it will be bits of time to play through the weekend. Maybe that's for the best. I can do my setup work when I can and let some break in happen before serious listening.

Last edited by pstrisik; 08-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
I'll keep an open mind about it. I'll probably try to have some questions for Cary once I'm set up and will ask about that as well. Is there a particular person to talk to at Cary? At CJ, it was always Ed until he retired earlier this year.

And.... picking the 05 up from UPS this afternoon!
Unfortunately, my wife has surgery tomorrow (nothing life threatening), so it will be bits of time to play through the weekend. Maybe that's for the best. I can do my setup work when I can and let some break in happen before serious listening.
Cary has changed techies in recent years, so I don't know them like I used to. I have spoken with a couple of them within the past year and they have been very helpful. Perhaps the biggest change they have made is with their service procedures. It is mostly done online now, though it is very efficient. They still take calls on general advice, though, and they don't seem to mind it.

Best wishes to your wife and pre-congrats on the new preamp.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Cary has changed techies in recent years, so I don't know them like I used to. I have spoken with a couple of them within the past year and they have been very helpful. Perhaps the biggest change they have made is with their service procedures. It is mostly done online now, though it is very efficient. They still take calls on general advice, though, and they don't seem to mind it.

Best wishes to your wife and pre-congrats on the new preamp.
Thanks Anthony!

I just picked them up at UPS (still morning here). I have one appointment in a half hour, then I can head home with them and take a couple of hours to at least unbox, get tubes in, get the boxes up to the attic, etc., before I'm back to the office later in the afternoon. Won't have time to set it up in the system yet though.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Whew!

Got it unpacked and physically setup and got the boxes in the attic.

I surprised at the plastic (acrylic?) case at this level, but it works and looks good when you don't tap on it anyway! I would think a metal case would vent heat better. And it wouldn't scratch as easily as I imagine this one would.

So... a bunch of questions for those with experience with this preamp:

1) I thought I had enough room in my console, but it's a bit tight. I have 1 7/8" above the top of the tubes (12.5" total vertical space) with the console open front and back. Opinions if this is enough? I haven't powered up yet to see how hot it gets.

2) Cary numbered the tube boxes (but not the tubes) and the manual says to put them in the proper sockets for the best sound. Is this for real? Do they assign them based on output or anything? I wouldn't think this should matter.

3) If I'm not using headphones, can I leave those two sockets empty and save the tubes? I will be using the balanced output, so those tubes are not an issue.

4) I've not liked the basic EH tubes in my CJ pre (6922's) and went with Gold Lions after trying a few brands. Is there a prevailing opinion about the best replacement tube for the Cary? Preferably not exotic NOS. I don't mind NOS if not too expensive. I guess I would be getting six.

Thanks for your help thus far. I wish this forum was busier. Has anyone suggested to Cary that they put a link to the forum on their website (with the usual disclaimer)? I will when I talk with them. Anyone know if anyone from Cary monitors this forum?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Here's a little give back to the community as I get started. Handy reference to put in back of the equipment rack:

Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Progress report (at least it's not hourly! )

All set up and playing. I'm running it at lower volume for as long as I can stand it up to the 100 hours. It's been running for about six hours and doesn't seem to be getting too warm above the tubes. I'll keep monitoring it. I can tell right off the bat, even at fairly low volume, that the bass is stronger than with my CJ 17LS.

The blue meters are purty. What are they need for in practice? Does it tell you when the power supply tube is fading (along with any obvious malfunction)?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Where'd everyone go?!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Whew!

Got it unpacked and physically setup and got the boxes in the attic.

I surprised at the plastic (acrylic?) case at this level, but it works and looks good when you don't tap on it anyway! I would think a metal case would vent heat better. And it wouldn't scratch as easily as I imagine this one would.

So... a bunch of questions for those with experience with this preamp:

1) I thought I had enough room in my console, but it's a bit tight. I have 1 7/8" above the top of the tubes (12.5" total vertical space) with the console open front and back. Opinions if this is enough? I haven't powered up yet to see how hot it gets.

2) Cary numbered the tube boxes (but not the tubes) and the manual says to put them in the proper sockets for the best sound. Is this for real? Do they assign them based on output or anything? I wouldn't think this should matter.

3) If I'm not using headphones, can I leave those two sockets empty and save the tubes? I will be using the balanced output, so those tubes are not an issue.

4) I've not liked the basic EH tubes in my CJ pre (6922's) and went with Gold Lions after trying a few brands. Is there a prevailing opinion about the best replacement tube for the Cary? Preferably not exotic NOS. I don't mind NOS if not too expensive. I guess I would be getting six.

Thanks for your help thus far. I wish this forum was busier. Has anyone suggested to Cary that they put a link to the forum on their website (with the usual disclaimer)? I will when I talk with them. Anyone know if anyone from Cary monitors this forum?
1) The general idea is at least 2" above the tubes, so you probably will be ok with your clearance, especially since your rack is open in the back.

2) I've tried to keep track of the tubes by which socket I use them in, but when I swap out, I'm not so sure that I get everything right when swapping back in. Haven't noticed a difference in sound. I have numbered my tube boxes just in case.

3) I have no idea. I don't use my headphone amp, but the tubes still receive a charge. My GUESS is that it would not be safe to leave those sockets empty when the 05 is on.

4) AudiogoN Search: Forums. Along with the stock tubes, I use these: Tung-Sol 6SN7GT New Production Preamp Vacuum Tube. The TungSol Round Plates (not the ones I use) have the reputation of being the best available, but consider the price. Upscale Audio used to have NOS Popes, but would only sell them to you if you bought your 05 from him. I don't think he has anymore, so it's a moot point.

I've not known Cary to have much of an online presence.

Last edited by asindc; 08-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.